Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › My Donny report. Your MOM ?
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 104 Guests

My Donny report. Your MOM ?

This thread currently has 1,628 views. Print
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
80sglory
July 18, 2012, 1:08am
Guest User
"We need to press teams and play at a higher tempo for a more sustained period and look after the ball when we have it."

These were the words of Rob Scott in the gtfc Magazine pre-match.
So at half time I was questioning how the 1st half had happened !  

I would hazard a guess some words were said at H/T...
After the moment Colbeck picked the ball up and put in a dangerous cross at the start of the 2nd half, we gathered momentum from there and ended up playing some very likeable football with genuine promise.  

1st half we started 4-1-2-3 with Hearn left, Soares right (although the front 3 interchanged all over the place)

...................McKeown
Hattton...Pearson...Miller...Thomas
.....................Niven
................Disley....Artus
........Soares....Elding....Hearn

For me we started too slow and perhaps looked unnecessarily edgy lacking slightly in composure.
Did we slightly over-estimate the real strength of the opposition ?
Donny certainly grew into the game and yes, you could see an obvious gap in class but didn't personally think Donny looked that far ahead of us or even unbreakable.

Despite glimpses of good play and some potential, disappointment of the 1st half for me was a lack of desire and movement, some sloppiness and lack of drive from a few players(see ratings).

Not sure if Donny were playing a weakened team 2nd half(someone please tell me?), but think it was mainly a completely different story because of our own attitude and approach.

2nd half think we generally went:

...............McKeown
Hattton...Pearson...Miller...Wood
Colbeck...Niven.....Thanoj...Soares
............Southwell..Cook

In conclusion, whilst a lot of credit goes to selective players on the night, I think the foundations are definitely there for a very good team this year

Still think we can work on things (think we're going back a bit too much at times and not pressing out quite enough).
But on the 2nd half, think we're capable of making the playoffs and possibly even much better.

If the players can build on this and we can start to believe (from the off please) in what we're doing here, the future could be bright !  

MY RATINGS...

McKeown 7 - In reality not that much to do. Unhappy and waved his arms around a lot early(not sure exactly why) but was he partly at fault for not coming for the 1st goal himself ?

Thomas 8.5 - Seemed to win almost every ball he challenged for tonight ! Also contributed with his passing, enthusiasm and movement forward. What a cracking performance ! Potential for further improvement too..

Pearson 8 - Solid as a rock, harrying, organising and think he was screaming at the defence to push out too. Couldn't fault him again.

Miller 7 - A few minor errors early and tbh not a player I notice that much(which is probably good) but did ok, although never looks invincible and strong competition at centre back to push him would go amiss.

Hatton 5.5 - Think he's much better than the performance he showed tonight. Got caught positionally to his right early(twice) and exposed when he lept in a few times too (including the pen). Still got forward well though. Is he better attacking than defending ?
Certainly a very attacking full back !

Niven 8 - Any doubts I had after Gainsboro were quickly dissolved in the first few minutes as he looked one of the standout players. Passing sometimes went amiss but tackled well, was constantly moving and ran his @rse off. Showed vocal leadership, organisation and and if this guy isn't captain material then I'm a chinaman. Think the fishy consensus and S&H are right, he's most probably a very good signing and will prove his worth long term.

Disley - 6 - One or two good things on the deck, in the air and looks a creative threat when he got forward but never convincing for me and a bit sloppy at times. Maybe lacked some sharpness and needs to step up to the mark to win his place.
Tonight taught me that performances can quickly change between successive games.

Artus 6.5 Good set piece led to the disallowed goal before H/T but another who failed to really shine. Can sometimes do something good, then showboat or dilly dally and mess it up.

Soares - 8.5 This guy has got seriously good ball control and obvious skill. Got into acres of the space in front of their back 4 2nd half (sometimes making forward runs from the left hand side !) No doubt there's definitely room for him be effective behind the front 2 and can now see exactly why S&H talked about wanting him to get on the ball more vs Gainsboro.
Looks like a South American ! Get the impression if some of his flashy touches don't come off he'll have the odd duff game but for me, the potential is there to make a serious impact and be a key player this season ! Passed it well and we know he can score goals. Exciting.

Elding 7 - Never one to fly out the blocks with his pre-season form, but was keen as mustard from the off even if the application was again sadly lacking at times. This guy is so frustrating ! But to be fair, he spread play really well in 2nd half and was starting to do well before making way on 60 mins. Will again prove a handful when he's on top of his game.

Hearn 6.5 - Never really got into the game tonight at all(but wouldn't put it down to the 4-3-3 more the 1st half in general..). Seemed to get a knock so presume this is why he didn't come on for the 2nd half ?

Wood 7 - Got his challenges in and did fine but wish he wouldn't keep flicking the ball up in the air and keep it simple. Never looks the greatest positionally on the left but can't knock him, he did ok.

Colbeck - 8.5 Fantastic run, pace and cross at the start of the 2nd half. Also love the way he made the space for himself with a run to open up the space after and his running with the ball. Reports of him being a tryer look accurate and looks another signing to like a lot.

Thanoj 7 - Steady eddy perfrormance on the face of it, not much to report tbh or maybe I missed it.

Cook 8 - A direct, committed and willing runner, who was good in the air and held the ball up well. Showed fantastic feet for the chance that narrowly went wide at the end. Very likeable signing and another who will probably get better with time.

Southwell 8 -  Willing runner pressing as always. Showed some nice bits of skill too and whilst his goals weren't the hardest, he took them well.

On this evidence and Pearson's goal at Gainsborough there'll be plenty of competition for places up top.
Stew0_0
July 18, 2012, 7:52am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.45
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +1,197
Gold Stars: 35
Agree ln most of that analysis apart from hatton, disley and elding. Thought sam had a decent game especially 2nd period when he linked well with colbeck and often got beyond him in attack. I thought disley and elding had poor games, in general anthonys had a poor pre-season in all. Both were sloppy with there passing and too oftrn in the first half elding was bossed by the donny defence. Although he did improve second half. Cook played the role far better on the night.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 11
80sglory
July 18, 2012, 3:39pm
Guest User
Yep, agree with the vast majority of your analysis too.

Except perhaps Hatton 1st half but he did get forward and link up well in the 2nd like you say.

Maybe I was a bit harsh wih a 5.5 but defenders they live and die by their defending ability and can't afford to make many (if any) mistakes.
but anyone can make a mistake or have an off day (or period) though, so I'm not biting my nails by any means.
Both him and Thomas are great attacking fullbacks, I just hope they're solid in defence too.
Hopefully by it's nature, pre-season will improve them in this dept anyway.

Probably generous to give Elding a 7 but rightly or wrongly I tend to mark people up for their attitude and workrate.
Reply: 2 - 11
barralad
July 18, 2012, 4:13pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.31
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,301
Gold Stars: 127
Very comprehensive report. Thanks

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 11
80sglory
July 18, 2012, 4:20pm
Guest User
You're welcome.
Were you not there barra ?
If not then it's a shame for me because I enjoy reading your match thoughts.
Reply: 4 - 11
upthestripes
July 18, 2012, 4:21pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.38
Rep Score: +68 / -8
Approval: +7
Cheers 80s   Can't vote as I wasnee there though.

Anyone hear anything else about G Pearson btw?

[img]http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb71/levite_photo/town/2959063.jpg[/img]

Hitman Hearn - BP Gangsta
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 11
80sglory
July 18, 2012, 4:26pm
Guest User
Quoted from upthestripes
Cheers 80s   Can't vote as I wasnee there though.

You can vote for didn't go !  
Can't remember why I put that up tbh - probably stupid.
Reply: 6 - 11
upthestripes
July 18, 2012, 4:31pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.38
Rep Score: +68 / -8
Approval: +7
Quoted from 1600

You can vote for didn't go !  
Can't remember why I put that up tbh - probably stupid.

Ah yes, didn't even see that! Well, you know now anyway

[img]http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb71/levite_photo/town/2959063.jpg[/img]

Hitman Hearn - BP Gangsta
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 11
barralad
July 18, 2012, 4:37pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.31
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,301
Gold Stars: 127
Quoted from 1600
You're welcome.
Were you not there barra ?
If not then it's a shame for me because I enjoy reading your match thoughts.

Just got my leg out of plaster today after 12 weeks so not ruling out Friday but yesterday was too difficult....

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 11
80sglory
July 18, 2012, 5:05pm
Guest User
Ah, glad you're near back on your feet.
Hope you can make it Friday - I might not be there myself so will look forward to your comments if you do go.
Reply: 9 - 11
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › My Donny report. Your MOM ?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.