Maringer
July 19, 2012, 12:43pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,671
Gold Stars: 189
Quoted from Denby
applying a formation that totally negates the strengths of our best player is genius

But that doesn't quite explain how Hearn managed to score so many goals for Alfreton the other year, playing on the left of a 4-3-3?

I can see how 4-3-3 with Hearn and A.N. Other playing alongside Cook in the centre could perhaps work out well, but only if we have the players to work as a midfield 3.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 56
Denby
July 19, 2012, 1:01pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +12 / -2
Quoted from Maringer

But that doesn't quite explain how Hearn managed to score so many goals for Alfreton the other year, playing on the left of a 4-3-3?

that's irrelevant, different team, different squad, different opposition

what we've seen at grimbsy is that there is nothing to suggest that hearn will thrive in such a formation
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 56
Maringer
July 19, 2012, 1:19pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,671
Gold Stars: 189
Well, compared to last season, we're half way to being a different team with a different squad - we're quicker in the full-back positions and have more pace up front and in midfield with Cook, Pearson and Colbeck.

I'm not writing off 4-3-3 just yet as it would be good to have a few options as to how we can set the team up, depending on the opposition. Obviously, this is only useful if Hearn can be effective in our 4-3-3 so we'll have to see how things progress. There's no reason why Hearn can't do well in a 4-3-3 as we know he has a few tricks on the ball and can cause the opposition problems coming in from wide positions but we need to make sure he still gets good chances and isn't just doing leg-work in wide positions. I hope he's been practicing shooting with his left foot, too!

I'm looking forward to seeing how Cook performs as I'm hopeful he will prove to be the mobile physical presence we've lacked for the past couple of seasons.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 56
aaron rattray
July 19, 2012, 6:10pm
allright viewers?
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.24
Rep Score: +71 / -90
Approval: -4
Quoted from Denby

that's irrelevant, different team, different squad, different opposition

what we've seen at grimbsy is that there is nothing to suggest that hearn will thrive in such a formation

Yeah i said different team and players and i got ridiculed

i am a season ticket holder and i always will be one  

"aaron is the next michael barrymore, hes a comedinan"

it is official, i am a comedian

]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 56
80sglory
July 19, 2012, 7:26pm
Guest User
Not yet convinced or saying 4-3-3 will work but isn't part of the thinking that it's easier for attacking fullbacks to overlap a packed midfield in the centre ?
Kind of making the need for wingers redundant and effectively provide 2 extra bodies elsewhere ?

Though I do accept someone(defender or forward) needs to get to the byline (and the fullbacks may need to run back too) for it to work just as well.

Just seems to me it fits in with an attacking fullback philosophy.
Reply: 44 - 56
lawsman
July 19, 2012, 8:26pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Rep Score: +2 / -1
What is a "byline".
I think you mean goalline, so called because the goal sits on it.
If we are looking at 4-3-3 then in my opinion Cooke should be in the middle with Hearn out left and Pearson out right but a bit closer together so that the 2 out left and right can run onto Cooke's headers and therefore be in a position to ghost past the defenders and create chances, ( hopefully take them as well).
It certainly pays to have a plan A, B, C etc if it is not working or the opposition won't allow you to play preferred option.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 56
80sglory
July 19, 2012, 9:25pm
Guest User
I'd prefer them to play closer together for sure - right now I don't want anyone way out on the touchline.  
I just wonder whether they might have to come wide to provide the outlet down the channels ?
Unless we're dominating possession in the middle with good passing perhaps.
Reply: 46 - 56
kevikov
July 19, 2012, 10:10pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +14 / -5
Approval: +851
Gold Stars: 13
I always thought a front three and a midfield three in essence meant like Spain showed, a forward six. Admittedly Spains formation was almost weird but it showed all six are involved constantly in the attacking build up, plenty of movement across, deep and thrusting forward runs, the thing with 4-4-2 is that positions are almost set in stone, players are where they are meant to be and that's what makes it so predictable. A fluid 4-3-3/4-5-1/4-3-2-1/4-3-1-2 is the opposite and demands constant changing movement and interplay. Perhaps why it's so hard for teams used to nothing but a rigid 4-4-2 to adapt to it.

I was there, the day Bradley Wood scored a 35 yarder!

From the black and white striped shirts
To the fish in the sea
You'll hear us singing
Coz we are Grimsby.

You won't hear us crying
But you'll hear us shout
Coz we are the Grimsby
And this is our chant.......... Grimsby! Grimsby! Grimsby!

A.S.A.F.A.T.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 56
Mighty_Mariner
July 19, 2012, 10:26pm
Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 0.84
Rep Score: +42 / -9
Approval: +2,241
Gold Stars: 10
If we do insist on playing 4-3-3 then I would like to see a team of:

Macca

Hatton.         S. Pearson.   Miler.       Thomas

Niven
                    Soares.       Thanoj

Colbeck.              Hearn.           Cook

Bench: Centre Back, Wood, Disley, Artus, G. Pearson

"They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old, Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn, At the going down of the sun, and in the morning, We WILL remember them"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 56
kevikov
July 19, 2012, 10:36pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +14 / -5
Approval: +851
Gold Stars: 13
I'd like :

Macca

Hatton           Miller           Pearson          Thomas
    |                                                                 |
    |    Colbeck            Niven            Artus       |
    |         Elding/pearson      Hearn                 |
   \/                                                                \/
                              Cook

Subs - Elding/pearson, southwell, Disley, Wood, thanoj.  So far, until a new centre back, goalie and winger is bought in.

I was there, the day Bradley Wood scored a 35 yarder!

From the black and white striped shirts
To the fish in the sea
You'll hear us singing
Coz we are Grimsby.

You won't hear us crying
But you'll hear us shout
Coz we are the Grimsby
And this is our chant.......... Grimsby! Grimsby! Grimsby!

A.S.A.F.A.T.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 56
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › 04/03/2003

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.