2 Pages 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Tommy
May 21, 2012, 6:35pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,869
Gold Stars: 76
Apologies for using the Fishy to shamelessly plug something i've written but here it is anyway.

Vardy Transfer Shows Continued Growth of Non-League Football

A look at Jamie Vardy's £1million transfer to Leicester, what it means for FC Halifax, and a review of 15 non-league players to make big-money moves in the last few years.

http://footballspeak.com/post/2012/05/20/Growth-of-Non-League-Football.aspx

Thanks to anyone that bothers to read it.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Super Clive
May 21, 2012, 6:47pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.17
Rep Score: +55 / -24
Approval: +1
Read it the other day tommy...good read as always.

Let's hope our liam wont make the list anytime soon.
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 14
cod.gtfc
May 21, 2012, 7:20pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 0.58
Rep Score: +31 / -14
Approval: -1
Good read, but didn't Dan Burn sign for Fulham from Darlo end of 2011 for around £350k ? I know he didn't make alot of appearances for Darlo, but still that would be the second highest behind Vardy and one missed of your list
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 14
marinerfrank
May 21, 2012, 7:54pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.05
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +21
Cracking article mate. Also like your article on Ashley Cole, an absolute nob of a man but without doubt the best left back in the world at the moment.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 14
Tommy
May 21, 2012, 8:56pm
Season Ticket Holder
Cheers for the kind comments guys.

Yeah i think you're right cod.gtfc, Burn is one i missed. I was trying to do a lot of it just from memory of players moving but managed to find some i didn't know about. It's very difficult to research for stuff like this on non-league as there really isn't a great deal of resources out there.

The Wealdstone FC Twitter account mentioned that i missed Jermaine Beckford off the list, although his initial big move was maybe a couple of years before the scope i was looking at.

Also some of the fee's may be slightly incorrect as most of them were unfortunately "undisclosed fees".

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 14
bradzmilne
May 21, 2012, 10:01pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +40 / -7
Approval: +1,433
Gold Stars: 30
Your brilliant at writing these, didnt you do the one about the Non League Team of the Year aswell? (If not my apoligises  )
Superbv read, cheers mann

Sleep well Icey, Matty and Richard. Keep each other company up there xx

4 Relegations in 18 Years - John Fenty’s legacy.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 14
boston fan
May 21, 2012, 10:24pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Rep Score: +20 / -2
Quoted from marinerfrank
Cracking article mate. Also like your article on Ashley Cole, an absolute nob of a man but without doubt the best left back in the world at the moment.

Have you watched Marcelo at Real Madrid this season Frank
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 14
Tommy
May 21, 2012, 11:24pm
Season Ticket Holder
Quoted from bradzmilne
Your brilliant at writing these, didnt you do the one about the Non League Team of the Year aswell? (If not my apoligises  )
Superbv read, cheers mann

Thank you. Nope i didn't do a team of the year article mate i just did a "5 players to watch in the BSP" article - http://footballspeak.com/post/2012/04/18/Blue-Square-Premier.aspx

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 14
nelly_gtfc
May 21, 2012, 11:54pm
Guest User
Good read that, thanks for sharing it.  I will add the site to my favorites, didn't know it existed till now.
Reply: 8 - 14
PPMariner
May 22, 2012, 2:28am

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +15 / -8
Approval: +476
Gold Stars: 9
Well written and interesting read Tommy.

Hopefully not too controversially, I have to disagree with the underlying premise though. There is simply more money in football; prices for players moving between clubs has appreciated across all divisions over the years and this is why we see the odd 'big' money move involving non-league players.

Transfer price appreciation is not necessarily a sign of continued growth of non-league football. I would go so far as to say it's not really an indicator at all. 'Most everything appreciates in price; regardless of a change in quality or a result of 'growth'.

"Associate yourself with men of good quality, if you esteem your own reputation; for 'tis better to be alone than in bad company."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 14
jamesgtfc
May 22, 2012, 3:15am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,057
Gold Stars: 190
I would argue that nearly all of the BSP is full-time shows that more money is being spent down here.

That means that players are earning a better wage than they was 10 years ago - without considering inflation.

So where a player rejected at youth level may have gone to university or got a job in a factory they may now feel like chancing it in non-league.

Take Hearn as a prime example.  Last year at Alfreton he was earning a part-time wage whilst being a full-time roofer.  It would be hard for him to progress in non-league if most clubs at this level were part-time and who; in the current economic climate; would chance moving from Alfreton where they have a secure full-time job to Grimsby where they then need to find another job to match their income?

So I would say that the league becoming predominantly full-time has helped bridge the gap and seen more league clubs gamble on non-league players.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 14
Rick12
May 22, 2012, 11:12am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
Quoted from Tommy
Apologies for using the Fishy to shamelessly plug something i've written but here it is anyway.

Vardy Transfer Shows Continued Growth of Non-League Football

A look at Jamie Vardy's £1million transfer to Leicester, what it means for FC Halifax, and a review of 15 non-league players to make big-money moves in the last few years.

http://footballspeak.com/post/2012/05/20/Growth-of-Non-League-Football.aspx

Thanks to anyone that bothers to read it.
read quite a few of your articles(checked them out the other day following on from your post on Puyol on football speak ) quite impressive

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 14
aaron rattray
May 23, 2012, 6:41am
allright viewers?
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.24
Rep Score: +71 / -90
Approval: -4
That is a quite a good article, and an excellent read, could do an article like, why will grimsby town do better next season

i am a season ticket holder and i always will be one  

"aaron is the next michael barrymore, hes a comedinan"

it is official, i am a comedian

]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 14
Tommy
May 23, 2012, 5:49pm
Season Ticket Holder
Quoted from PPMariner
Well written and interesting read Tommy.

Hopefully not too controversially, I have to disagree with the underlying premise though. There is simply more money in football; prices for players moving between clubs has appreciated across all divisions over the years and this is why we see the odd 'big' money move involving non-league players.

Transfer price appreciation is not necessarily a sign of continued growth of non-league football. I would go so far as to say it's not really an indicator at all. 'Most everything appreciates in price; regardless of a change in quality or a result of 'growth'.

That's a good point to make. And that must undoubtedly contribute towards the higher fees being paid even at this level.

I suppose it would be interesting to see if there is an increase in number of transfers from non-league to football league in recent years, or an increase in transfers from non-league that are a success in the football league. Very difficult and would take ages to look into though.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 14
Tommy
May 23, 2012, 5:55pm
Season Ticket Holder
Quoted from jamesgtfc
I would argue that nearly all of the BSP is full-time shows that more money is being spent down here.

That means that players are earning a better wage than they was 10 years ago - without considering inflation.

So where a player rejected at youth level may have gone to university or got a job in a factory they may now feel like chancing it in non-league.

Take Hearn as a prime example.  Last year at Alfreton he was earning a part-time wage whilst being a full-time roofer.  It would be hard for him to progress in non-league if most clubs at this level were part-time and who; in the current economic climate; would chance moving from Alfreton where they have a secure full-time job to Grimsby where they then need to find another job to match their income?

So I would say that the league becoming predominantly full-time has helped bridge the gap and seen more league clubs gamble on non-league players.

Another reasoned argument here. The part-time player with a full-time job is a reason that Russell Slade pointed to as to why he didn't pluck any rough diamonds from non-league while he was here. He referred to it as being difficult to get someone to leave a secure, well-paid job (especially down south) that is topped up with part time footy wages, to move up north to a potentially unsecure future of a year or two's contract of full-time football.

Another thing is that over the years of foreign players coming into the country and making up such a large percentage of Premiership clubs' squads, all the players have shifted down a division. I.E. the players of the standard of the old top division could now be playing in the 2nd tier because of the influx of foreign talent coming in, the old 2nd tier has now filtered down to the 3rd tier etc etc. So this would mean in effect the Conference as it is now could be of a similar standard to what League Two, or rather Division 4, would have been at the start of the 1990's.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 14
2 Pages 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › 15 big money transfers of non-league players

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.