3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
LondonMariner43
May 3, 2012, 7:22am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +19 / -4
Approval: +3,976
Gold Stars: 64
With Silk now leaving, does that mean Wood will now be first choice RB?

If so, why did we sign him in the first place and why was he first choice ahead of Wood for much of the season.

Although our season ended badly I was hoping for more of a 3-4 in/ out to give us a bit more quality.  However once again we seem to be destined to start the season with a squad that doesn't know each other.  Will we once again have to wait till November for the team to gel.

I have quite liked S&H but now surprised why they are moving on a player they brought in only a year ago in a position where we had someone all along?

Likewise what did we gain by bringing in KHM and Winn at a time that we had a settled side only to move them on 3 months later.  At the time I thought this was thinking ahead to next season.  Now it feels like needless tinkering.

Logged Offline
Private Message
RoboCod
May 3, 2012, 7:55am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.91
Rep Score: +70 / -19
Approval: +7,505
I'm never 100% confident with Bradley at RB. No doubting his commitment and toughness but his positioning needs work, I'd like someone a bit like Brad and a bit like Silk.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 28
jimgtfc
May 3, 2012, 7:59am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.64
Rep Score: +22 / -5
Approval: +5,096
Gold Stars: 45
Dont forget Bradley wood is still young and fairly inexperienced, a full season learning from a competent player at this level in Silk will have done him good. I fully expect him to push on next season and make the RB slot his own.

"Falls to Arnold... Arnold! That's it! Thats it! He's sealed it! Grimsby Town are back in the football league!!! Just a minute to go and Nathan Arnold makes it 3-1! Look at the scenes behind the goal! Look at the relief! The agony is finally over!!!"

John Tondeur - Wembley Stadium Sunday 15th May 2016
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 28
cod.gtfc
May 3, 2012, 8:00am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 0.58
Rep Score: +31 / -14
Approval: -1
Prehaps they have decided Silk was on too much, and having 2 rb's with a reduced budget is a luxery we can't afford?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 28
BIGChris
May 3, 2012, 8:16am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.97
Rep Score: +70 / -24
Approval: +2,654
Gold Stars: 6
Wood played in 36 league games this season just finished and picked up 12 cautions.

At our level both Silk and Wood are competent enough, above average.

i think the fact that Silk missed long periods through injury have gone against him and i suspect he is reasonably high in the salary stakes too which probably makes the decision easier to understand.

The likely replacement could be a utility defender who can play across the back line. Main problem with that is that you get a Jack of all trades and a master of none
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 28
Marinerz93
May 3, 2012, 8:58am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.56
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1
Could Charlie fit that role, quick and times his tackles well, could easily take instruction from Miller.

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 28
Super Clive
May 3, 2012, 9:42am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.17
Rep Score: +55 / -24
Approval: +1
Wood anyday for me...get the team together earlyish and It's no problem gelling...look at fleetwood crawley...granted you need quality players and @ await this summers signings..
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 28
forza ivano
May 3, 2012, 11:53am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,264
Gold Stars: 266
Quoted from Super Clive
Wood anyday for me...get the team together earlyish and It's no problem gelling...look at fleetwood crawley...granted you need quality players and @ await this summers signings..

couldn't disagree more.silk is safe and competent.wood is rash and is so susceptible to the long diagonal ball.he's also poor when he's left 1 or 1 at the back post.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 28
Stew0_0
May 3, 2012, 11:59am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.45
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +1,191
Gold Stars: 35
According to the telegraph today we are definately finding a replacement for Silk in pre-season
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 28
Rodley Mariner
May 3, 2012, 12:21pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.36
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,239
Gold Stars: 177
Quoted from forza ivano

couldn't disagree more.silk is safe and competent.wood is rash and is so susceptible to the long diagonal ball.he's also poor when he's left 1 or 1 at the back post.

Agree. Think Wood is a decent squad player for us in that at a push he can cover 2 or 3 positions. Quite useful to have when we're, as a necessity, moving towards a smaller squad. Don't however think he's good enough to be a first choice right-back at the moment - positionally he's not great, he doesn't offer much going forward and he's likely to miss 4 or 5 games a season through suspension. Think that, as Maringer suggested, they'll be looking for somebody who can get up and down quicker and more effectively with a view to having an extra man in the middle of the midfield at most times next season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 28
3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Silk vs Wood

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.