No Members and 58 Guests

midfield

This thread currently has 2,358 views. Print
3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
lew1983
April 28, 2012, 6:14pm

Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
the sooner we realise that we need to run the midfield and boss teams about we aint going nowhere as a team  
Logged Offline
Private Message
lew1983
April 28, 2012, 6:16pm

Shandy Drinker
sick of tin pot teams coming here and bossing us about, thats not the way it works at blundell park!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 25
April 28, 2012, 6:16pm
Guest User
What midfield not a had one all season
Reply: 2 - 25
lew1983
April 28, 2012, 6:18pm

Shandy Drinker
Quoted from 2578
What midfield not a had one all season

exactly!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 25
April 28, 2012, 6:21pm
Guest User
The two player who have been good in our midfield are Thanoj and Artus.I hope both are here next season
Reply: 4 - 25
lew1983
April 28, 2012, 6:35pm

Shandy Drinker
Quoted from 1739
The two player who have been good in our midfield are Thanoj and Artus.I hope both are here next season

yeah but i think we need someone who is ruthless aswell and im not sure weve had one of them players in a while

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 25
AndyGTFC
April 28, 2012, 6:52pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +23 / -2
Approval: +808
Gold Stars: 5
Disley, Artus and Thanoj are all good players, it's just that they're good at similar things. A proper battler to give players like them the ball is something we could do with.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 25
Mighty_Mariner
April 28, 2012, 7:05pm
Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +42 / -9
Approval: +2,262
Gold Stars: 10
I thought Thanoj and Artus were both excellent today.. Artus never stops running and can pick out a pass and Thanoj always seems to have time on the ball and has a terrific range of passing. I really think this kid could be a star, just seems s comfortable and classy on the ball!

For me York have the midfield in the league and Thanoj could fit in there easily!

"They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old, Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn, At the going down of the sun, and in the morning, We WILL remember them"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 25
Meza
April 28, 2012, 7:24pm

We urine On Your Fish Yes we do yes we do
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.82
Rep Score: +78 / -3
Approval: +1,657
Gold Stars: 50
For me we need someone slightly better than Disley someone who can run at the defense play one two's, shoot and pick a pass as well as a but of pace.  If it meant giving them Coulsons wages I would definately do it as we it.

[URL=https://imgur.com/VCxdH2Y][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/VCxdH2Ys.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/uMRVvRe][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/uMRVvRes.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/5p7nllT][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/5p7nllTs.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/46BEw5M][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/46BEw5Ms.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/06NXnQF][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/06NXnQFs.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

My Grimsby Legends
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 25
fiveallive
April 28, 2012, 8:04pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +11 / -3
Approval: +230
Gold Stars: 5
Need Manny Panther back.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 25
April 28, 2012, 8:07pm
Guest User
Quoted from fiveallive
Need Manny Panther back.

A Manny who could short pass would be good.
Reply: 10 - 25
The_Laughing_Mariner
April 28, 2012, 8:12pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.47
Rep Score: +17 / -5
Approval: +1,047
Gold Stars: 10
A Thanoj or Artus who can tackle would be good too, also a Disley who can tackle and pass.
We seem to have had players who are sort of alrigfht at somewthing.  We either pick a midfield who can tackle and win the ball, but trhey play too deep and cant pass to the strikers and set things up, or we have playmakers, who unfortunately caanot win the ball, ans as such cannot make the plays

<'(((((<

When I was a little boy
I asked my daddy what would i be
would I be United, would i be Leeds
Here's what he said to me

Oh Grimsby Grimsby
Whatever will be will be
You'll follow then faithfully
Oh Grimsby Grimsby

Tell me Mam me Mam
I dont want no tea no tea
I'm watching the Grimsby
Tell me Mam me mam
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 25
Maringer
April 28, 2012, 10:15pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,769
Gold Stars: 189
Funnily enough, our midfield was well on top today, as the possession stats indicate.

However, I agree that in general, our central midfield has been the weak point in the team again this season, especially against the better teams. Disley is OK, Thanoj is OK but together they aren't effective enough a lot of the time.

Let's hope the management can strengthen the centre of the midfield during the summer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 25
tashee69
April 29, 2012, 1:12am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.32
Rep Score: +28 / -4
Approval: +972
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from Maringer
Funnily enough, our midfield was well on top today, as the possession stats indicate.

However, I agree that in general, our central midfield has been the weak point in the team again this season, especially against the better teams. Disley is OK, Thanoj is OK but together they aren't effective enough a lot of the time.

Let's hope the management can strengthen the centre of the midfield during the summer.

The problem was we were playing against a team who wanted to defend and just counter attack. Whilst we had the the midfield and they made some excellant cross field passes we didn't create many really good chances. I cannot remember us having a shot on target, I don't know where the website got their 4 from.

Baldrick ! The only impression you can do is that of a man with no talent !!
GTFC team 09/10 - Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick.
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 25
moosey_club
April 29, 2012, 1:34am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,335
Gold Stars: 230
Lol.
Yes we need a central midfielder who is box to box, can pick a pass, is good in the air, score a few goals and motivate the team.......us and the 104 teams above us!! Wonder why S&H just dont get one?!?!?!?!

FFS people, we are non league, we are not pushing for the Champions League. Artus, Disley and Thanoj are capable players at the level we are at, todays formation gave them all time to do their thing...ok none of them burst the net with a 30 yd surge and 18 yd strike but when it came to ball retention their figures must be fairly high.

Take any of those 3 against the likes of Leary, Hudson, Cummins...etc.

Would much rather see players pick a pass and demonstrate some understanding of who their team mates are than whack it up the pitch blindly.

What we are desperately short of is a plan b up front but i hope that KHM will get a chance to prove his worth.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 25
Biccys
April 29, 2012, 2:33am
Posts Per Day: 2.03
Rep Score: +55 / -22
Approval: +1,226
Gold Stars: 27
What were the possession stats today? I thought we were well in the ascendancy pretty much all game, without really troubling their keeper. Shame really. Would have been nice to sign off with 3 points.

@biccysthefishy

£110,105

[url]https://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/causes/mariners-trust/[/url]
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 15 - 25
Mariners_15
April 29, 2012, 8:17am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +17 / -4
Approval: +538
Gold Stars: 1
Agreed, Disley was decent at the start on the season when we were shite and since we've had the upturn in form he's turned into a very average midfielder, coincidence? Need a better midfielder than him IMO, not upto scratch as shown in most games this season where yet again, we have not solved our midfield problem...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 25
Tommy
April 29, 2012, 10:08am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,869
Gold Stars: 76
Disley, Thanoj and Artus are all competent enough players. The problem is that they all like to play in a similar way - stay quite deep and pick the ball up from defenders and pass it.

We needed an extra dimension yesterday in midfield as it became a flat 3 in the middle. In the first 10 minutes Artus broke forward off the ball and I thought he would be the one that would continue to do that and get closer to Elding when we were attacking.

But that didn't really happen and the only time the midfield broke from being a flat 3, was when Disley or Thanoj came deep to get the ball from McKeown or the CB's.

What we need is a Groves or Bolland type who will break from midfield and get closer to Elding when we are in possession or when the ball is wide.

Ideally - and he has the ability to do it - I would like to see Thanoj pass the ball into the striker's feet and follow his pass straight away, running forward wanting it back. If he then gets it back he could run at a defender and take it past them as he's got momentum and they haven't, or he's further forward to play in Hearn or Soares who have hopefully by this time made a diagonal run inside/forward.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 25
aaron rattray
April 29, 2012, 11:41am
allright viewers?
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.23
Rep Score: +71 / -90
Approval: -4
I think we need a player who plays in the hole, maybe thanoj? Also our defense is quite solid for next season

i am a season ticket holder and i always will be one  

"aaron is the next michael barrymore, hes a comedinan"

it is official, i am a comedian

]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 25
acko338
April 29, 2012, 2:56pm
Whiskey Drinker
Rep Score: +44 / -6
Approval: +3,211
Gold Stars: 33
Answer at a reasonable fee - Alan Power - makes the ball speak for him - plays the right through ball at the right time - if he had been surrounded by decent players to feed off him on NY Day, we would have been embarrassed and it could have been a different story.

Not huge and physical, but elusive, skllful, and a forward moving player.

Any other ideas out there ??
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 25
moosey_club
April 29, 2012, 5:27pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from acko338
Answer at a reasonable fee - Alan Power - makes the ball speak for him - plays the right through ball at the right time - if he had been surrounded by decent players to feed off him on NY Day, we would have been embarrassed and it could have been a different story.

Not huge and physical, but elusive, skllful, and a forward moving player.

Any other ideas out there ??

Criticised by those who watch him as being a 1 in 4 performer i think.

2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 25
acko338
April 29, 2012, 6:56pm
Whiskey Drinker
Rep Score: +44 / -6
Approval: +3,211
Gold Stars: 33
H & S would drive the 1 in 4 out of him very quickly, if he wants to succeed in a forward looking team for next year..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 25
Tommy
April 29, 2012, 7:01pm
Season Ticket Holder
Just expand on my earlier post in this thread:

http://tommybryan84.wordpress.com/2012/04/29/157/

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 25
moosey_club
April 29, 2012, 7:19pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Tommy
Just expand on my earlier post in this thread:

http://tommybryan84.wordpress.com/2012/04/29/157/

its just a pity that Southports players didnt follow your plan Tommy, insisting instead to follow our players when they moved. Inconsiderate b@st@rds.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 25
Tommy
April 29, 2012, 7:27pm
Season Ticket Holder
Quoted from moosey_club

its just a pity that Southports players didnt follow your plan Tommy, insisting instead to follow our players when they moved. Inconsiderate b@st@rds.

Yeah I appreciate its not quite as simple as I've made it sound. But if you keep making runs, eventually the opposition will tire, physically or mentally, and switch off for a second or react a second too late. And that's all it takes to get yourself a goal. And then the game opens up.

Also, I can honestly say whenever the middle 3 had the ball yesterday there was little or no movement from our front 3, let alone intelligent movement. So its definitely something we can work on regardless of what formation we play.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 25
80sglory
April 29, 2012, 9:48pm
Guest User
Quoted from Tommy
Ideally - and he has the ability to do it - I would like to see Thanoj pass the ball into the striker's feet and follow his pass straight away, running forward wanting it back. If he then gets it back he could run at a defender and take it past them as he's got momentum and they haven't, or he's further forward to play in Hearn or Soares who have hopefully by this time made a diagonal run inside/forward.

Sounds like Buckley !  
Reply: 25 - 25
3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › midfield

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.