Massive improvement needed next season

This thread currently has 2,038 views. Print
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
lew1983
April 28, 2012, 6:45pm

Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Quoted from marinerian
We habe freed up a big chunk of our budget by getting rid of Arthur,Duffy,Coulson and who ever else leaves.

Two more central midfielders and two wingers who can cross the ball and beat the first man please gaffers.

Not sure who.else is leaving but we must replace with talent from this league who are determind and hungry for success.

Lower wages but bigger win/promotion bonus's could be the answer.

cant argue with you you there ,ate but will a lower budget get a qauality midfiled pairing or wingers? or are we fast becoming a mid table ex league has been? thats is the question

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 25
lukeo
April 29, 2012, 9:13am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.06
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,421
Gold Stars: 149
I think get 4 new midfielders in (although i'd have like to have kept Coulson) and we'll be fine.. Obviously I'd like to see I'anson stay and be in the first 11
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 25
marinerian
April 29, 2012, 9:35am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.69
Rep Score: +33 / -16
Approval: +15
Quoted from lew1983

cant argue with you you there ,ate but will a lower budget get a qauality midfiled pairing or wingers? or are we fast becoming a mid table ex league has been? thats is the question

We had league dross and players desperaye for a wage. What we need now is talent wanting to make the grade. A Barry Hales or Geoff Horsfield or like our Liam!

There are lads who will jump through hoops to make professional football and we need to entice them to BP.

We have to save money but build a squad......no point going down the Newell or Woods route of buying crap.

UP THE MARINERS
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 25
Belfast Town
April 29, 2012, 9:35am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.33
Rep Score: +14 / -2
Approval: +1,703
Gold Stars: 19
Quoted from lew1983

This is the big fear.  We were warned when we were relegated just how difficult it is to get out of this league and that's now very clear.  We are now looking like York, Mansfield, Cambridge, etc who were established league clubs and have languished in the conference for quite a while now.  This coming season is massive for our future, and I'm yet to be convinced that S&H have got what it takes to assemble a team that will get promoted.  

It appears that we are again to have a significant turnover of players, which will mean that the new ones brought in will take time to gel and yet again we will not start the season strongly and find ourselves playing catch-up.

Really hope my fears are unfounded(obviously!).
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 25
ginnywings
April 29, 2012, 9:49am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.00
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,156
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from Belfast Town

This is the big fear.  We were warned when we were relegated just how difficult it is to get out of this league and that's now very clear.  We are now looking like York, Mansfield, Cambridge, etc who were established league clubs and have languished in the conference for quite a while now.  This coming season is massive for our future, and I'm yet to be convinced that S&H have got what it takes to assemble a team that will get promoted.  

It appears that we are again to have a significant turnover of players, which will mean that the new ones brought in will take time to gel and yet again we will not start the season strongly and find ourselves playing catch-up.

Think a lot of people are yet to be convinced about this, but for once we have kept the same management team throughout a season and given them time to have a good look at it. They quickly identified the defence as suspect and shipped out Ridley and Kempson, after which things improved. The strikeforce has generally been good with the three main strikers getting 50 odd goals, although there is still room for improvement there as they didn't get many against the top sides.

The midfield is the biggest problem area for me and it has chopped and changed all season, with four loanees being drafted in at various stages.

I never expected us to challenge for promotion this season, but there can be no more excuses from now on. They have to bring in more canny players who can unlock defences next year, as once again we have had way too many draws.

Sh1t or bust for S&H next season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 25
mariner91
April 29, 2012, 9:50am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,893
Gold Stars: 264
Quoted from Belfast Town

Does it? So far we've lost Coulson, Garner (who wasn't first choice) and Duffy who was a substitute and was pretty useless.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 25
GtfcGarner
April 29, 2012, 9:55am

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.43
Rep Score: +30 / -14
Approval: +1,833
Gold Stars: 31
Jesus, talk about naive fans. We will still have another 2-3 seasons atleast in this division, don't see why the managers heads are being called for if we don't get promoted. Thats where we have been going wrong as the likes of York, Mansfield ect stuck with their managers through the sticky patches, besides the football this year is ten times better than what I watched last year.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 25
Belfast Town
April 29, 2012, 9:56am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.33
Rep Score: +14 / -2
Approval: +1,703
Gold Stars: 19
We've yet to see the retained list and quite a few are out of contract, so a significant turnover is a possibility.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 25
EY Mariner
April 29, 2012, 10:16am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +865
Gold Stars: 5
I don't see how anyone can remotely judge how we are going to do next season on the basis of a final game of this campaign which meant absolutely nothing to either side. And if you're not going to experiment in a game which, although competitive, doesn't mean that much, when would you?

If you look at this season as a whole, then we have had a good one. We have scored more points than in any season since 2005-6 and enjoyed good runs in both the FA Cup and the FA Trophy well in excess of last season's achievements. When one looks at the teams at the very top of the table and appreciates that they have built their squads and successes over a period of years, then the only sensible thing for us to do is back Scott and Hurst and give them time. For me, that means next season and, barring a real regression in performances, the season after. Any suggestion that next season would or should be do or die or any other phrase of that sort for them to keep their jobs is madness.

We have the basis of a very good squad at this level. What is required this summer is not a major overhaul, but four or five signings. Let's have some patience for a change.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 25
mariner91
April 29, 2012, 10:37am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,893
Gold Stars: 264
Quoted from Belfast Town
We've yet to see the retained list and quite a few are out of contract, so a significant turnover is a possibility.

But that isn't what you said.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 25
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Massive improvement needed next season

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.