mariner91
April 27, 2012, 8:43am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,820
Gold Stars: 264
Quoted from 1600
Understand Meza, suppose it's the survival of the club (being in the BSP) that concerns me and a "speculate to accumlate" (e.g. increased gates with better results) approach might serve us better.

Just worry where the cuts might end cos there's no guarantee of a Ryan Bennett or Liam Hearn every season so what happens if the cupboard is bare and we're still losing money ?

Sorry I know it's terribly negative thinking but it's not like we haven't been cutting our cloth and struggling with finances over time.
I sincerely just hope that if it came to it, the club could still be sustainable and survive on a shoestring. (can it ?)
Anyway, won't dwell on all these horrible thoughts so fingers crossed...

Could also see us go bust within a year. Coulson is a good player but if he was asking for wages outside of the new wage structure then he is not irreplaceable and it was right to let him go. We need to keep some sort of wage structure because we'll just get ourselves further and further into a financial mess. If the rest of the squad are all kept within the wage structure and they find out special dispensation has been made for one player, the squad morale would suffer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 80 - 123
siy2k5
April 27, 2012, 9:01am
Bite me!
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.86
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: -2
As much as I want a strong as possible squad for a promotion push, and would have loved MC to stay, we've hot to be realistic.  We're losing approx £1m a year, and our wage budget is approx £900k a year (this season). Is all well and good saying throw money st a promotion push, which didn't work last season did it?

Throwing money willy nilly won't guarantee anything, except more financial problems down the line, more debt to Fenty etc etc.

We need a strict wage structure, a squad of honest hard working players, and belief in the managers. I feel we're well on the way to having a good team spirit, could even argue that ridding the squad of the high earners will increase unity. Arthur, garner, Coulo and Duffy would all have been on a decent whack, I'm guessing around £175k between them.

Quoted from marinerian
If Newport win it b4 heir vist to BP, I will sit in The Osmond dressed as Little Bo-Peep for the match against them!  

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 81 - 123
BIGChris
April 27, 2012, 9:09am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.96
Rep Score: +70 / -24
Approval: +2,654
Gold Stars: 6
There is a history of managers at all levels who have struggled to spend wisely when given a big budget.

Given the experience of H&S it may actually be better to give them a reduced budget as they are more likely to know who the stars are at a lower level and who they beleive can improve and step up to the plate. With a skys the limit budget they may be tempted to chase all and sundry from the FL where their recent knowledge may not be quite as current.

Just a thought
Private Message
Reply: 82 - 123
Biccys
April 27, 2012, 9:11am
Posts Per Day: 2.03
Rep Score: +55 / -22
Approval: +1,226
Gold Stars: 27
Quoted from siy2k5
As much as I want a strong as possible squad for a promotion push, and would have loved MC to stay, we've hot to be realistic.  We're losing approx £1m a year, and our wage budget is approx £900k a year (this season). Is all well and good saying throw money st a promotion push, which didn't work last season did it?

Throwing money willy nilly won't guarantee anything, except more financial problems down the line, more debt to Fenty etc etc.

We need a strict wage structure, a squad of honest hard working players, and belief in the managers. I feel we're well on the way to having a good team spirit, could even argue that ridding the squad of the high earners will increase unity. Arthur, garner, Coulo and Duffy would all have been on a decent whack, I'm guessing around £175k between them.

Spot on. The days of JF propping us up with "benign loans" should now be over and we should set a sensible budget to get players that WANT to play here and not overpaid for the division ex-league players.

The realisation is finally hitting a few on here that we have to cut to avoid the club going the way of Pompey and Leeds or heaven forbid Darlo.

@biccysthefishy

£110,105

[url]https://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/causes/mariners-trust/[/url]
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 83 - 123
petethemariner
April 27, 2012, 9:18am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.32
Rep Score: +36 / -2
Approval: +1,011
Gold Stars: 16
The size of the squad was unsustainable given the fact that we have no reserve side, some players were playing
no competitive football for months, as this is not changing for the foreseeable future ,i think we need to put quality before quantity and go for a squad of  only about 19 this year.
Despite the obvious financial issues, the loss of the reserve side, or at least the  failure to arrange meaningful
regular friendly games for the fringe players, was a bad move IMHO.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 84 - 123
ginnywings
April 27, 2012, 9:37am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.01
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,153
Gold Stars: 548
Jeez, it's not like we've just let Dave Gilbert walk out the club and shown the door to Paul Futcher.

Coulson and Garner will be among the highest paid players in the BSP, yet we are still floundering just above mid table. We can get as good, or better, for less money. There are several clubs in this league with lower budgets than us who are performing better, so let's not pretend we are breaking up a promotion winning team here.

I've been saying for 2 or 3 years now that we need to go down a different route with our signings because we have been spunking away money on mediocre players for too long.

KHM is a good example to use. He was signed to Kettering, travelling from London for training and matches and possibly not even getting paid. Players with potential like him, who are desperate to play fo a team like ours are the type of player we want, not a fat waster like Duffy, who is possibly earning 2 or 3 times what KHM is getting. I know who i'd rather have in my side.

If we have a spine of decent, experienced pro's like Miller, Disley and Elding and get a few young hungry and keen players around them, then i think we will do at least as well, if not better, than we have done this season.

S&H aren't stupid, they know we have come up short and they know what areas they need to address. We should just wait and see who goes and who comes in before we pass judgement.

Remember, it took the great Sir Buckley a couple of seasons to sort us out and i'm sure he discarded a few players along the way who raised a few eyebrows.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 85 - 123
GtfcGarner
April 27, 2012, 10:04am

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.43
Rep Score: +30 / -14
Approval: +1,796
Gold Stars: 26
Great managers building slowly, Rome wasn't built in a day. Get more quality for less money, please.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 86 - 123
forza ivano
April 27, 2012, 10:09am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,301
Gold Stars: 266
Quoted from ginnywings
Jeez, it's not like we've just let Dave Gilbert walk out the club and shown the door to Paul Futcher.

Coulson and Garner will be among the highest paid players in the BSP, yet we are still floundering just above mid table. We can get as good, or better, for less money. There are several clubs in this league with lower budgets than us who are performing better, so let's not pretend we are breaking up a promotion winning team here.

I've been saying for 2 or 3 years now that we need to go down a different route with our signings because we have been spunking away money on mediocre players for too long.

KHM is a good example to use. He was signed to Kettering, travelling from London for training and matches and possibly not even getting paid. Players with potential like him, who are desperate to play fo a team like ours are the type of player we want, not a fat waster like Duffy, who is possibly earning 2 or 3 times what KHM is getting. I know who i'd rather have in my side.

If we have a spine of decent, experienced pro's like Miller, Disley and Elding and get a few young hungry and keen players around them, then i think we will do at least as well, if not better, than we have done this season.

S&H aren't stupid, they know we have come up short and they know what areas they need to address. We should just wait and see who goes and who comes in before we pass judgement.

Remember, it took the great Sir Buckley a couple of seasons to sort us out and i'm sure he discarded a few players along the way who raised a few eyebrows.

spot on ginny
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 87 - 123
arryarryarry
April 27, 2012, 11:07am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,052
Gold Stars: 117
Quoted from Meza
Well southport seemed to have done pretty well and there players are on part tome wages so what does that tell you.  

That their manager is better than ours?
Private Message
Reply: 88 - 123
pontoonlew
April 27, 2012, 11:50am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +9,098
Gold Stars: 181
Quoted from arryarryarry

That their manager is better than ours?

He took them down last season ffs  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 89 - 123
13 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Scott Garner - Left Town

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.