3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
forza ivano
April 26, 2012, 1:21pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,301
Gold Stars: 266
have just had my email offering tickets for the Olympic football.
just reading the telegraph's preview looks like it might be an interesting experience with a number of decent sides and lots of players to look out for, for those interested in european footie.
Spain and Brazil look the  2 strongest sides but GB, Gabon, Mexico, Senegal &Uruguay all look to have decent sides.

anyone any thoughts on the sides, players to watch out for and maybe some ideas as to the best games to go (the wembley double header on sunday 29.7 looks tasty)
Logged Offline
Private Message
FishOutOfWater
April 26, 2012, 1:22pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.13
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,590
Gold Stars: 37
I'm sure I heard on the radio the other day that it's not football but....olympic soccer tournament

Don't want those Yanks getting all confused now do we?
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 1 - 24
Chrisblor
April 26, 2012, 1:59pm

Elemér Berkessy
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +53 / -18
Approval: +8,989
Gold Stars: 243
Somehow i've ended up with tickets to Spain v Honduras and Japan v Morroco which will be played back to back at St James Park and a Quarter Final at Old Trafford. Should be an interesting experience.

gary jones
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 24
forza ivano
April 26, 2012, 3:04pm

Exile
Quoted from Chrisblor
Somehow i've ended up with tickets to Spain v Honduras and Japan v Morroco which will be played back to back at St James Park and a Quarter Final at Old Trafford. Should be an interesting experience.

thought you could just buy tickets for any game chris? even coe has admitted they're unlikely to be sell outs
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 24
marinerian
April 26, 2012, 3:41pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.69
Rep Score: +33 / -16
Approval: +15
I intend to get the GB football shirt....I am English but happy to be part of Britain as England makes it Great

UP THE MARINERS
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 24
Chrisblor
April 26, 2012, 3:54pm

Elemér Berkessy
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from forza ivano

thought you could just buy tickets for any game chris? even coe has admitted they're unlikely to be sell outs

Oh you can do now but I bought these in the original ticket sale over a year ago. I've been sitting on them for ages waiting for the draw to finally find out which teams i'll be watching.

gary jones
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 24
mothafunda
April 26, 2012, 5:09pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Im going to the GB v senegal, Uraguay v UAE double header at old trafford. pretty chuffed as I bid for the tickets blindly without knowing who would be playing
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 24
moosey_club
April 26, 2012, 6:50pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,335
Gold Stars: 230
Quoted from forza ivano
have just had my email offering tickets for the Olympic football.
just reading the telegraph's preview looks like it might be an interesting experience with a number of decent sides and lots of players to look out for, for those interested in european footie.
Spain and Brazil look the  2 strongest sides but GB, Gabon, Mexico, Senegal &Uruguay all look to have decent sides.

anyone any thoughts on the sides, players to watch out for and maybe some ideas as to the best games to go (the wembley double header on sunday 29.7 looks tasty)

How do these fit into a european interest? You have honestly lost me there.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 24
Youngy
April 26, 2012, 9:07pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.22
Rep Score: +14 / -3
Approval: +1,687
Gold Stars: 9
I'm organising a bus to the GB V Senegal game. If you have tickets and need a lift let me know, we have around 10 spots left and it will cost around £25 per person.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 24
Markskeg
April 26, 2012, 9:12pm
Lager drinker.
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.00
I've got two tickets for the final at Wembley. Looking forward to it, it would be great to see the G.B. team in it.

Black and White and Proud.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 24
bobbyturtle
April 26, 2012, 9:19pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.76
Rep Score: +29 / -4
Approval: +954
Gold Stars: 18
Quoted from marinerian
I intend to get the GB football shirt....I am English but happy to be part of Britain as England makes it Great

lol  

Quoted from marinerian
Posted by: Markskeg      Date Posted: 5 minutes ago
I've got two tickets for the final at Wembley. Looking forward to it, it would be great to see the G.B. team in it.

it's an excuse for us to be disappointed at another football championship

Icenian Prediction League 2015 (Game 2) winner
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 24
Markskeg
April 26, 2012, 9:32pm
Lager drinker.
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.00
Quoted from bobbyturtle

lol  

it's an excuse for us to be disappointed at another football championship

Germany to win on penalties!!    

Black and White and Proud.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 24
Theimperialcoroner
April 26, 2012, 10:04pm

Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +47 / -4
Approval: +5,352
Gold Stars: 103
Off to see Mexico V Switzerland and GB V Uruguay at Cardiff. Hope it's better than the last time I went there.

Batch, Crombie, Moore K, Wiggington, Cumming, Waters, Bonnyman, Ford, Emson, Drinkell, Whymark. Love you all, You are the reason I'm on here. You've had help from Todd, Handyside, Futcher P, Groves, Mendonca, Macca etc etc etc. Up The Mariners!!!!!!!!!
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 24
marinerian
April 26, 2012, 11:30pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Are tickets available on the day for games?

UP THE MARINERS
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 24
Youngy
April 27, 2012, 7:08am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.22
Rep Score: +14 / -3
Approval: +1,687
Gold Stars: 9
Quoted from marinerian
Are tickets available on the day for games?

I would doubt they are for the GB games, apparently the game Old Trafford has already sold over 55000
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 24
aaron rattray
April 27, 2012, 7:47am
allright viewers?
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.23
Rep Score: +71 / -90
Approval: -4
I would rather watch on TV, its okay sayings it shall be a great experience so what, what difference does it make?

i am a season ticket holder and i always will be one  

"aaron is the next michael barrymore, hes a comedinan"

it is official, i am a comedian

]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 24
April 27, 2012, 9:08am
Guest User
Olympic football just like golf tennis etc absolute joke, real Olympic athletes spend years training giving their all for this massive avent then to see these millionaire sportsman turn up and squeeze in another tournament just cheapens the whole thing. I think we will be seeing a lot of sad people walking around in these GB football shirts this summer the majority of which will be your typical glory hunters.
Reply: 16 - 24
forza ivano
April 27, 2012, 10:05am

Exile
Quoted from moosey_club

How do these fit into a european interest? You have honestly lost me there.

remember that they can all up 3 over age players
senegal could call up cisse and ba from newcastle, diame from wigan or any one of the number of players who play in Europe (particularly France)
their young star is ibrahima balde from osasuna (or ohsosooner as my mate calls them!)
mexico could call up hernandez at man u, giovanni dos santos (i think he 's a great little player ) from Spurs. Their one to watch apparently is Ulises Dovila of Chelsea, but a number of European clubs (particularly the Spanish) are sniffing round a couple of their promising youngsters
Gabon's youngsters include several from bordeaux and Marseille and several of their locally based players are interesting french league clubs.They could choose 3 over age players from a number who play good standard European football
Uruguay have some real quality players - coates at Liverpool, texeira at Gronigen who has been linked with the scousers and cepellini at Cagliari. There was a story that suares, diego forlan or cavani at napoli may be amongst their over age call ups
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 24
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
April 27, 2012, 11:20am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Olympics & football? It's like saying that the Sussex Rec 6-a-side was the same as the Sunday League.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 24
marinerian
April 27, 2012, 2:53pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from 2578
Olympic football just like golf tennis etc absolute joke, real Olympic athletes spend years training giving their all for this massive avent then to see these millionaire sportsman turn up and squeeze in another tournament just cheapens the whole thing. I think we will be seeing a lot of sad people walking around in these GB football shirts this summer the majority of which will be your typical glory hunters.

The GB team will show why our Islands have been so strong in the World. It is a chance for us to showcase the best of our young talent from England, Scotland, Wales & N.Ireland.

I am happy to be English but also happy to be part of Great Britain, as England makes Britain.....Great

I will watch parts of the Olympics like I have done for years, I will notbe glued to the screen but happy to take an interest.

Personally I think it is a shame it is in London as very little good comes from London imo.

Birmingham or Manchester would have been a better choice, would have seen greater benefit to the whole of GB both in terns of job development and infrastructure. London is an out dated capital.

UP THE MARINERS
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 24
Chrisblor
April 27, 2012, 4:53pm

Elemér Berkessy
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from marinerian

The GB team will show why our Islands have been so strong in the World. It is a chance for us to showcase the best of our young talent from England, Scotland, Wales & N.Ireland.

With Stuart Pearce as manager? Yeah right.

gary jones
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 24
Les Brechin
April 27, 2012, 4:59pm

Posts Per Day: 4.16
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,735
Gold Stars: 174
Quoted from mothafunda
Im going to the GB v senegal, Uraguay v UAE double header at old trafford. pretty chuffed as I bid for the tickets blindly without knowing who would be playing

My brother was given 2 tickets to this as a Christmas present from the girls where he works. I'm hoping he'll ask me if I want to go with him.

You can do Manchester and back on the train for £20 if you book in advance so it would be a good day out. (If he asks me that is)

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 24
moosey_club
April 27, 2012, 11:25pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,335
Gold Stars: 230
Quoted from forza ivano

remember that they can all up 3 over age players
senegal could call up cisse and ba from newcastle, diame from wigan or any one of the number of players who play in Europe (particularly France)
their young star is ibrahima balde from osasuna (or ohsosooner as my mate calls them!)
mexico could call up hernandez at man u, giovanni dos santos (i think he 's a great little player ) from Spurs. Their one to watch apparently is Ulises Dovila of Chelsea, but a number of European clubs (particularly the Spanish) are sniffing round a couple of their promising youngsters
Gabon's youngsters include several from bordeaux and Marseille and several of their locally based players are interesting french league clubs.They could choose 3 over age players from a number who play good standard European football
Uruguay have some real quality players - coates at Liverpool, texeira at Gronigen who has been linked with the scousers and cepellini at Cagliari. There was a story that suares, diego forlan or cavani at napoli may be amongst their over age call ups

oh i see, European based players, with you now.
Well to be honest pretty blinkered when it comes to football, if its not Town most other games struggle to hold any interest for me, world football the same.
The selection process will be more interesting to me, 80 - 36 - 24 is it? Or figures similar to that. Ridiculous.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 24
April 27, 2012, 11:26pm
Guest User

Let's be honest there's a severe lack of talent and that's just England, as for the rest what talent I be surprised if any make the first team.

I am happy to be English but also happy to be part of Great Britain, as England makes Britain.....Great

You are right there England certainly makes Great Britain great... Without us these no mark country's would be as equivently strong as the Faroe islands.

I will watch parts of the Olympics like I have done for years, I will notbe glued to the screen but happy to take an interest.

I agree not something I'm really bothered about at the min but I certainly be watching certain events.

Personally I think it is a shame it is in London as very little good comes from London imo.

Again I'm kind of with you on this one would of been nice to see it somewhere central im sure it could of been done, pisses me off a bit that London seems to get everything although i think your wide of the mark calling it outdated! London is certainly historic but at the same time it must be one of the most modern city's in the world it's an amazeing place thats got everything wich is why it attracts many millions of tourist every year and this is probably one of the reasons London was chosen.
Reply: 23 - 24
marinerian
April 28, 2012, 8:40am

Barley Wine Drinker
Maybe I am wide of the mark about London. Though to be honest as a capital city location it is dated. As most of Englands  is much more concentrated in the midlands.

I wait to see if London 2012 will be a huge sucess. I hope it is as when we host most events they are usually a hit

UP THE MARINERS
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 24
3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › olympic football tournament

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.