2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
lowerfindus
April 21, 2012, 1:17pm

Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +202
Gold Stars: 2
Im worried that next season we will end up with a team of hackers plus Liam Hearn. A goal scorer like Hearn will keep us up and around the right end of the table but we need more. Central midfield is weak though better than previous seasons.

Initial rumours regards players and contracts are not an encouraging sign. Mike Coulson has been a good player for Town in a bad era and despite not perhaps fulfilling his potential the goals and assists he has suggest he should be kept and is indeed a key player. Young hopefuls like I'Anson seem to be low in importance regards development and contracts and this for me is very disappointing.

There are no signs for me that we are looking to progress and create a team that can play good attacking football. We have been miles behind the good teams in this division and Smashy and Nicey do not seem interested in players who have that bit of technical quality. They like effort and fitness and Im not sure that alone is good enough to get in the promotion mix.

One winning run a season is not enough and we have been found lacking at the key moments if the season.

Never drink in a pub with a flat roof.
Logged Offline
Private Message
cleefish
April 21, 2012, 2:05pm
L:incoln
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +10 / -4
Approval: +6

Good point but which would you have Woods and his seasons in charge or S&H this season in charge I know which mine is (this) as myself I am upset not getting into the play off yes but hey we are in a better position now and playing better football so UTMM.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 15
fiveallive
April 21, 2012, 2:12pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +11 / -3
Approval: +230
Gold Stars: 5
If they wanted hackers why diden't they just keep Michael Leary.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 15
lowerfindus
April 21, 2012, 2:52pm

Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +202
Gold Stars: 2
Well they nearly did keep Leary. Church was brought in as a replacement.

The football was better under Woods, we tried to play the right way even to the point we tried to play too much. My main concern is we try to play too little under these two and that for me is very dissappointing and worrying.

Next season will be a spitting image of this with one big run and frustration either side unless they try to create a rounded squad. Last pre-season was too fitness intensive and lacked some of the team shape/formation/pattern of play practice that was obviously lacking early season when we struggled. Pre-season is important and I dont want to hear about how fit we are going to be. I want us to try to play to a formation with a set pattern of play so players have a chance to get a grip of how we are going to approach the season. This balance of fitness and team shape was stuck perfectly by Russell Slade (even though Slade ball is awful to watch he got the team doing what we all wanted, winning).

As proven this year, you cant win the league but you can lose it. A few more points early doors and we would have been well in the mix come the end of the season. We have to start well.

Never drink in a pub with a flat roof.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 15
gary_elton
April 21, 2012, 3:13pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.19
Rep Score: +23 / -6
Approval: +1,243
Gold Stars: 6
Coulson is a good player...  I hope we keep him

All my pictures , Seem to fade to black and white.... (Reg Dwight)
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 15
sonofmadeleymariner
April 21, 2012, 3:47pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.89
Rep Score: +20 / -9
Approval: +1,451
Gold Stars: 37
i hope we retain the lot except for Duffy and makofo. Duffy because i honestly believe we can attract a player of better quality to play his role, and Makofo because lets face it it looks like his time at the club is over any way and i never thought he was that good even when pepople were ranting about him at the start of the season

I think it would be a shame if we lost the likes of Couloson, church and silk as some are suggesting

I don't mind Roy Keane making £60,000 a week. I was making the same when I was playing. The only difference was I was printing my own - Mickey Thomas

The area you are trying to protect at corners is the goal - Chris Kamara

I once said Gazza's IQ was less than his shirt number and he asked me: What's an IQ? - George Best
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 15
pontoonlew
April 21, 2012, 4:02pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +9,098
Gold Stars: 181
Hasn't anybody learnt anything? This 'we don't play good enough football' is absolute shite. This was the reason people didn't want the better candidate in Slade and were happy to have Woods 'as long as he played football'. People actually happy to swap success for 'good football' one things for sure we may have tried to pass it with Woods but at no point did I ever think it was good.

Scoring goals is good, we have scored an absolute excrement load of them this season but I guess if we aren't passing it about before it doesn't count does it? It's a really daft ideology imo. I trust these two massively.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 15
craigy
April 21, 2012, 4:05pm
Upper Findus
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +7 / -1
Approval: +92
I don't care if we play barca style football or long ball, we just need to get out of this league. Passing football is good don't get me wrong but this league is tough and full of bullies and as we have seen most this season many teams play to disrupt the flow of games. Our successful season was under slade and look what type of football he played.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 15
Madeleymariner
April 21, 2012, 4:12pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +23 / -15
Approval: +3,074
Gold Stars: 52
Not many decent pitches in this league either once the winter came in, today for example. Get it forward quick but midfield needs to support the strikers when it does go forward
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 15
jimgtfc
April 21, 2012, 5:15pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.64
Rep Score: +22 / -5
Approval: +5,124
Gold Stars: 46
Quoted from pontoonlew
Hasn't anybody learnt anything? This 'we don't play good enough football' is absolute shite. This was the reason people didn't want the better candidate in Slade and were happy to have Woods 'as long as he played football'. People actually happy to swap success for 'good football' one things for sure we may have tried to pass it with Woods but at no point did I ever think it was good.

Scoring goals is good, we have scored an absolute excrement load of them this season but I guess if we aren't passing it about before it doesn't count does it? It's a really daft ideology imo. I trust these two massively.

That sums it up for me too.

"Falls to Arnold... Arnold! That's it! Thats it! He's sealed it! Grimsby Town are back in the football league!!! Just a minute to go and Nathan Arnold makes it 3-1! Look at the scenes behind the goal! Look at the relief! The agony is finally over!!!"

John Tondeur - Wembley Stadium Sunday 15th May 2016
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 15
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Hackers + Liam Hearn

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.