2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
marinette
March 28, 2012, 10:20pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +38 / -4
Approval: +320
Gold Stars: 3
I had to come off the motorway and got lost in Scunthorpe in the dark.

I think I need counselling now.  

Private Message
moosey_club
March 28, 2012, 11:13pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,336
Gold Stars: 230
Quoted from marinette

Girls  

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 12
lukeo
March 29, 2012, 8:37am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.06
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,420
Gold Stars: 149
What a flipping joke that was. It took me 5hours to get home from Alton Towers. You'd have thought they'd have organised all of that a bit better
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 12
upthestripes
March 29, 2012, 4:31pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.38
Rep Score: +68 / -8
Approval: +7
Just be thankful you were in a car Marinette!  

[img]http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb71/levite_photo/town/2959063.jpg[/img]

Hitman Hearn - BP Gangsta
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 12
marinette
March 29, 2012, 9:08pm
Vodka Drinker
Flipping nightmare last night.  Must have sat on the M180 for more than an hour, going nowhere, when I finally crawled off it, was faced with a choice: Gainsborough or Crowle, left or right, Winn or Coulson, daddy or chips - chose Gainsborough, ended up in Epworth, realised I was on my way to Yorkshire, turned round and crawled to Scunthorpe at about 6mph in a long line of traffic, went round a roundabout about three times trying to see a sign for Grimsby, noticed a dodgy car with one headlamp following me, decided to head for the town centre, became more intent on shaking off the dodgy headlight car than looking at road signs, managed to lose him in the end and got horribly lost myself at the same time.  God knows where I ended up - I had a road atlas in the boot but no way was I stopping and getting out of the car in the dark in that place, by sheer luck saw a sign to the M180, hoped and prayed that that section of the motorway wasn't closed too - all in all it took me four hours to get home from work.  

Private Message
Reply: 4 - 12
kingofthekippers
March 29, 2012, 9:31pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.97
Rep Score: +39 / -4
Approval: +6
Quoted from marinette

Scunthorpe during the daytime isn't much better. In fact it's worse; you can actually see the ugly illegitimates.

Mr McGee, don't make me angry. You wouldn't like me when I'm angry.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 12
moosey_club
March 29, 2012, 10:15pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from marinette
Flipping nightmare last night.  Must have sat on the M180 for more than an hour, going nowhere, when I finally crawled off it, was faced with a choice: Gainsborough or Crowle, left or right, Winn or Coulson, daddy or chips - chose Gainsborough, ended up in Epworth, realised I was on my way to Yorkshire, turned round and crawled to Scunthorpe at about 6mph in a long line of traffic, went round a roundabout about three times trying to see a sign for Grimsby, noticed a dodgy car with one headlamp following me, decided to head for the town centre, became more intent on shaking off the dodgy headlight car than looking at road signs, managed to lose him in the end and got horribly lost myself at the same time.  God knows where I ended up - I had a road atlas in the boot but no way was I stopping and getting out of the car in the dark in that place, by sheer luck saw a sign to the M180, hoped and prayed that that section of the motorway wasn't closed too - all in all it took me four hours to get home from work.  

In all seriousness with my H&S head on i hope you will learn the following valuable lessons from this minor nuisance;
Always know what road you are driving on and roughly where abouts on that road you are
always have an atlas in your glove compartment as SAT navs, apps etc do fail
pay attention to travel updates on the radio

I have averaged over 30,000 miles a year over the last 3 yrs and with the above knowledge have only been delayed extensively once and that was when a crash happened just half a mile in front of me so had no warnings of the delay.

2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 12
marinette
March 30, 2012, 8:43am
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from moosey_club

In all seriousness with my H&S head on i hope you will learn the following valuable lessons from this minor nuisance;
Always know what road you are driving on and roughly where abouts on that road you are
always have an atlas in your glove compartment as SAT navs, apps etc do fail
pay attention to travel updates on the radio

I have averaged over 30,000 miles a year over the last 3 yrs and with the above knowledge have only been delayed extensively once and that was when a crash happened just half a mile in front of me so had no warnings of the delay.

Yeah, points taken.  I used to keep my road atlas under the seat but it's a new car, and things somehow got tidied away into the boot.  I don't always find traffic information very helpful either.  Yesterday morning, for example, they gave a warning about dogs running around on the M18 'at junction x, that's the Stainforth junction'.  I was left wondering if that was on my stretch of the M18 or not - I couldn't stop the car to look at a map - I was already on the motorway, I had no idea where Stainforth was, there are no signs to it on the motorway, and unless you are local to that area, you would be unlikely to know.  The same goes for 'Barnetby top', which quite often gets a mention.  Now I know where that is, but if I was a Dutch lorry driver, I very much doubt that I would - so I wouldn't know whether to take a detour or not.  'Woodhouse' is another one - still not quite sure where that is.  And I've managed to work out where the roadworks at 'Scawby' are, simply by travelling through them everyday.

I've only had two major delays in the last eight years when travelling to and from work, so it could have been worse.

Private Message
Reply: 7 - 12
moosey_club
March 30, 2012, 9:12pm
Barley Wine Drinker
know what you mean with the travel info, local terms used for national warnings.
Hate the thought of sat navs and wont have one myself but when you start dodging roadworks they have their uses i suppose.  

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 12
JazzMariner
March 30, 2012, 11:03pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.39
Rep Score: +8 / -6
Presumably the reason for leaving the M180 was the accident where driver lost his life!! Puts a few delays in perspective!!

It's not difficult to get from the M180 through Scunthorpe and back onto it the other side!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 12
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Tonight

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.