Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › We havn't got......
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 100 Guests

We havn't got......

This thread currently has 2,781 views. Print
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
80sglory
March 28, 2012, 1:10am
Guest User
Quoted from FishOutOfWater
It was only a day or two ago that you suspected Hearn had played his last game for Town 80's...

True and I was wrong to offer such negative speculation without at least offering an explanation. (which I did later)

But I suppose it's partly cos I keep hearing these things knocking around the messageboard.
Just asking the question that's all...

Quoted from FishOutOfWater
I wouldn't be too surprised if he's still with us next season no matter where we finish in this one

I hope you're right !
Reply: 20 - 31
dapperz fun pub
March 28, 2012, 8:25am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +10,067
Gold Stars: 84
the managers have made progress and to get us up this season would have been a miracle and remember the mess woods left us in so all in all 7 out 10..........regarding hearn i think he will go imo hes not particulary young and sp probably wants to make some dollar and who could blame him
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 31
Maringer
March 28, 2012, 10:02am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,699
Gold Stars: 189
Quoted from 1600

Guess so but why are you so sure Hearn will be gone ?

Assuming Hearn finds a bit of form following his injury and scores a few goals, he'll be on 30 goals for the season. For a team which is struggling to reach the play-offs (and is likely to fall short), this is a very good return. I think a couple of League clubs may be willing to take a punt on him. If he doesn't leave, all the better.

However, I think the problem is that we've generally played without a target man this season despite our long-ish ball stuff. Elding isn't a target man though he has done a reasonable enough job in the role in some games. He's always played off another striker in the past but Hearn obviously has to play this role. It wouldn't surprise me to see Elding become the 'poacher' if Hearn leaves, providing we can sign a useful and athletic target man. Duffy is simply too hit and miss, unfortunately, as Mansfield fans told us when he signed.

You ask why we tend to play a long ball game? The answer is that our midfield isn't good enough to play a pure passing game unlike teams such as Wrexham and York. Our lack of pace means that teams can pressure us into mistakes too easily and aren't particularly worried about being hit on the break. It's no surprise that we've tended to get our best results against teams with little pace (Alfreton, for example) and have struggled against the quicker teams (e.g. York).
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 31
80sglory
March 28, 2012, 5:13pm
Guest User
Quoted from Maringer
Assuming Hearn finds a bit of form following his injury and scores a few goals, he'll be on 30 goals for the season. For a team which is struggling to reach the play-offs (and is likely to fall short), this is a very good return. I think a couple of League clubs may be willing to take a punt on him.

Totally agree but you think we'll be willing to sell if we're chasing promotion ?

Maringer, IMO your other points are so good that I'm gonna put them on the other thread "Style of play".

Reply: 23 - 31
Maringer
March 28, 2012, 5:22pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,699
Gold Stars: 189
These days, it's impossible to keep hold of a player who has decided that they want to leave. Hearn has said that he wants to play at as high a level as possible and, if offered a decent deal at a League club, I think he will probably want to depart.

Would it be better for him to stay here another year and consolidate his goalscoring form? Possibly. It all really depends which offers come in for him.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 31
80sglory
March 28, 2012, 5:52pm
Guest User
Quoted from Maringer
It all really depends which offers come in for him.

Yes I agree.
In terms of making the right decision for Liam Hearn, I see what you mean.  

Reply: 25 - 31
STB
March 28, 2012, 5:55pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.70
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Quoted from dapperz fun pub
the managers have made progress and to get us up this season would have been a miracle and remember the mess woods left us in so all in all 7 out 10..........regarding hearn i think he will go imo hes not particulary young and sp probably wants to make some dollar and who could blame him

We were 9th when Woods was sacked and should easily finish about 9th at the end of the season so onwards and upwards  

Former lover of all things GTFC . . .
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 31
porkies
March 28, 2012, 6:08pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.34
Rep Score: +2 / -1
Quoted from Maringer
These days, it's impossible to keep hold of a player who has decided that they want to leave. Hearn has said that he wants to play at as high a level as possible and, if offered a decent deal at a League club, I think he will probably want to depart.Would it be better for him to stay here another year and consolidate his goalscoring form? Possibly. It all really depends which offers come in for him.

Isn't he under contract for another 2 years? If so, it might not be up to him! League Two clubs might 'take a punt' if he were on a free but if they have to shell out a sizeable transfer fee    ... well, how many of them could afford that sort of punt? It could be the case - perish the thought - that teams in this league have worked him out and he won't be so effective next season. The long contract he has here might then be his best option and Grimsby Town's worst!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 31
mariner91
March 29, 2012, 11:53am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,809
Gold Stars: 262
Quoted from porkies

Isn't he under contract for another 2 years? If so, it might not be up to him! League Two clubs might 'take a punt' if he were on a free but if they have to shell out a sizeable transfer fee    ... well, how many of them could afford that sort of punt? It could be the case - perish the thought - that teams in this league have worked him out and he won't be so effective next season. The long contract he has here might then be his best option and Grimsby Town's worst!!

I don't think he has been "figured out" I think teams are employing more than one player to specifically keep tabs on him and we don't have other players who are creative or dangerous enough to take advantage of the space this leaves.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 31
Marinerz93
March 29, 2012, 12:05pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.56
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1
I very much doubt any League 2 clubs could afford Liam.

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 31
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › We havn't got......

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.