3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
AndyGTFC
March 17, 2012, 8:43pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +23 / -2
Approval: +804
Gold Stars: 5
Not winning a game like that was a lot more frustrating than it was losing to York on Tuesday for me, for the simple reason that Tamworth weren't a good side and basically just sat back all game.

Anyway, we were without a doubt the better team but we just didn't have enough about us to get through them. We were too one paced and one dimensional. Think everyone from the players to the fans used up most of their energy on Tuesday judging by today!

We're not far away from having a side that could challenge for promotion. Think a bit more pace and creativity is what we should be looking at to improve the squad in the summer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 26
pontoonlew
March 17, 2012, 9:05pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +9,098
Gold Stars: 181
Well, only last week I was saying I was pleasently suprised that all sides we've played have come to win and not for a point, not today! They well and truely parked the bus and with a mixture of bad decisions and seeming lack of will cost us. Had we drew with York Tuesday and remained with a brilliant chance of Play-offs wed've won today. Some players just didn't seem interested to break their neck to score, Elding was really poor in particular. Hearn didn't look fully sharp and for all his good breaking up play Woods distribution was really poor. Townsend isn't half the player he was through the run of late, bottling tackles and not wanting to put in a cross at the right time. He has been brilliant this season though and i'm sure the weaker games he has will often teach him the most.

In regards to the play-offs we've eventually left it too late. I don't think during the run anybody wanted to realise that we literally could not afford a tiny blip. I'm very confident for next season though and it'll be nice for us to pick back up and show some good form. 2 losses, 6 draws and 12 wins is promotion form, sadly 6 wins 9 losses and 2 draws in the other 17 is not.

Hopefully we keep Hearn and can invest in a new central midfielder. We are pretty much there in squad quality, but it was always going to come to an end and the tougher games have co-incided with that. I don't think we can't compete with the better sides, we've beaten Cambridge and Southport away in that run. Drew at Barrow and was unlucky to draw with Mansfield, add in that being robbed at Fleetwood and it's not as bad against the top half sides as it looks.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 26
FishOutOfWater
March 17, 2012, 9:11pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.14
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,578
Gold Stars: 37
Rob Scott mentioned in his interview that they had 7 defenders playing in their side today....unsurprising then that they didn't mount any attacks of note and were happy with their point given their sole objective today was just to stop us from winning, rather than ever trying to win the game themselves
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 22 - 26
whitty
March 17, 2012, 9:17pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.00
it was poor wasnt it. for me townsend has been great all season, but today was his worst performancve in black and white. we looked slow and off the pace for most of the game. they stopped us playing and we had no ideas of how to break them down. we had one or two chances and their keeper made some good saves, but overall it was dull boring end of season game. i dont like to continually criticise elding but had he put away an early sitter we might be talking differently. i agree with an earlier poster about our form at the start of the season. we took a long time for things to click, that is why we are now frustrated with the last few weeks at blundell park lets hope we start next season slightly better
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 26
we will return
March 17, 2012, 9:29pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.23
Rep Score: +19 / -1
Approval: +35
Quoted from Les Brechin
Tamworth came with a game plan and we just couldn't break them down, although SORES (not bloody Suarez) was a little unlucky to hit the post. They did exactly the same to York 10 days ago when they drew 0-0 there as well.

Did Macca actually make a save today btw?

I don't think he did make a save, I remember them having one shot but that was from about 30 yards out and went about 5 yards wide.

UTM!
The Icenian Prediction League Winner 2013!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 26
TownSNAFU5
March 17, 2012, 9:34pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,908
Gold Stars: 42
We were "extra average today", especially for a team chasing the play-offs.

To use a sporting analogy for this season, we played like a track athlete who has fallen over in a 10Km race. Finding himself a lot way behind the front-runners,  he tears after the pack and catches them up.  When they push on again near the end of race, he has given everything and has nothing left to give.   The race ends in disappointment, even though it is a valiant effort. That sums up our season.  We have to get off to a good start next season.

Ref watch:
No incredibly bad offsides.  One player on each side given a free-kick for tripping over themselves.  Duffy blatantly fouled late in the second-half but no foul given!  Perhaps he should have tripped himself up.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 26
TAGG
March 17, 2012, 9:55pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +26 / -27
Approval: +2,941
Gold Stars: 126
Quoted from whitty
it was poor wasnt it. for me townsend has been great all season, but today was his worst performancve in black and white. we looked slow and off the pace for most of the game. they stopped us playing and we had no ideas of how to break them down. we had one or two chances and their keeper made some good saves, but overall it was dull boring end of season game. i dont like to continually criticise elding but had he put away an early sitter we might be talking differently. i agree with an earlier poster about our form at the start of the season. we took a long time for things to click, that is why we are now frustrated with the last few weeks at blundell park lets hope we start next season slightly better

Spot on summery.
Just to add I think the Ref was the best I’ve seen here this season. He didn’t get everything right but most refs we have had this season have got nothing right.  

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 26
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just Back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.