lowerfindus
March 14, 2012, 12:54pm

Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +202
Gold Stars: 2
Quoted from Biccys
Pace. Simples. Watching how they always seemed to be in space, have time to pick a pass to a player either n the move or in space already while whenever we had the ball we were ponderous and pressured all the time. Pace is now the key factor in pretty much all levels of football. We lack it.

Pace is true to a point but pace alone doesnt make you a good footballing side. When did Buckley sides ever have pace?? We had the odd one here and there but the old sides were never blessed with pace. The fact is they trained hard in possession football something this lot dont do. They look ponderous and pressured because passing football is not natural to the side. Disley, Coulson, Thanoj, Silk, Townsend, Elding, Winn, Soares, Hearn and Wood are all mobile, some of them quick and skillful enough to play pass and move football but it dont come easy and you have to practice making the short runs, overlaps and creating the angles to give the man on the ball an option.

Our management want direct football and thus our lot are not skilled in playing that way. Perhaps in pre-season the dynamic duo can find time during the iron man pre-season trials to do some training with the football so next season we start on the opening day being able to pass to each other (rather than mid october) in a practiced formation with a pattern of play so we dont have to spend the the most of the season chasing the pack due to an naff start.

SIMPLE. That advert has a lot to answer for.

Never drink in a pub with a flat roof.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 25
laitey
March 14, 2012, 12:56pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Rep Score: +12 / -7
Quoted from jimbo22
Personally what i think they are missing is a sitting midfielder, who does all the ugly stuff get tackles in and protects the back four and allows the rest of the midfield to play around him. Bit of a hard man

Bradley Wood seemed to make a massive diference last night.

People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 25
Biccys
March 14, 2012, 1:00pm
Posts Per Day: 2.03
Rep Score: +55 / -22
Approval: +1,226
Gold Stars: 27
Quoted from lowerfindus

Pace is true to a point but pace alone doesnt make you a good footballing side. When did Buckley sides ever have pace??

True, but that was then, this is now. Successful sides have pace in buckets these days. Our current 1st XI doesn't seem to me to have enough across all areas. Hearn, Coulson, Townsend and I'Anson are perhaps the pick of the bunch.

Quoted from lowerfindus

We had the odd one here and there but the old sides were never blessed with pace. The fact is they trained hard in possession football something this lot dont do. They look ponderous and pressured because passing football is not natural to the side. Disley, Coulson, Thanoj, Silk, Townsend, Elding, Winn, Soares, Hearn and Wood are all mobile, some of them quick and skillful enough to play pass and move football but it dont come easy and you have to practice making the short runs, overlaps and creating the angles to give the man on the ball an option.

Totally agree. Make it so S&H!

Quoted from lowerfindus
Our management want direct football and thus our lot are not skilled in playing that way. Perhaps in pre-season the dynamic duo can find time during the iron man pre-season trials to do some training with the football so next season we start on the opening day being able to pass to each other (rather than mid october) in a practiced formation with a pattern of play so we dont have to spend the the most of the season chasing the pack due to an naff start.

Again, I agree. The squad they inherited was not as fit as they wanted them, and the players they brought with them needed bringing up to the right fitness levles too. That can't be a bad thing. Yes, the ball would be a good thing to use in training too, but the fitness levels were their focus at the start of preseason IIRC.

Quoted from lowerfindus

SIMPLE. That advert has a lot to answer for.

Soz!

@biccysthefishy

£110,105

[url]https://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/causes/mariners-trust/[/url]
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 12 - 25
forza ivano
March 14, 2012, 1:02pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,303
Gold Stars: 266
Quoted from Biccys

True, but that was then, this is now. Successful sides have pace in buckets these days. Our current 1st XI doesn't seem to me to have enough across all areas. Hearn, Coulson, Townsend and I'Anson are perhaps the pick of the bunch.

Totally agree. Make it so S&H!

Again, I agree. The squad they inherited was not as fit as they wanted them, and the players they brought with them needed bringing up to the right fitness levles too. That can't be a bad thing. Yes, the ball would be a good thing to use in training too, but the fitness levels were their focus at the start of preseason IIRC.

Soz!

you turning into the new 80's glory biccys?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 25
MeanwoodMariner
March 14, 2012, 1:07pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.39
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +2,673
Gold Stars: 8
Quoted from forza ivano

The split quote responses are in place but he lacks the inconsistency and condescention.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 25
Paris Mariner
March 14, 2012, 1:23pm
www.theliquidfootballblog.wordpress.com
Main Stander
Posts Per Day: 0.53
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +809
Quoted from jimbo22
Personally what i think they are missing is a sitting midfielder, who does all the ugly stuff get tackles in and protects the back four and allows the rest of the midfield to play around him. Bit of a hard man

i.e a bit like Panther and Church who have been largely lambasted on here.

bilbaogroundguide.wordpress.com
ingoldale.tumblr.com Football and gig ticket blog
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 15 - 25
Biccys
March 14, 2012, 1:23pm
Quoted from forza ivano

Hardly, my post wasn't littered with statements with a question mark after, implying my opinion was a question....

@biccysthefishy

£110,105

Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 16 - 25
Biccys
March 14, 2012, 1:25pm
Quoted from MeanwoodMariner

The split quote responses are in place

Thanks.

but he lacks the inconsistency

Thanks again.

and condescention.

Cheers....

@biccysthefishy

£110,105

Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 17 - 25
jimbo22
March 14, 2012, 1:27pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Quoted from Paris Mariner

i.e a bit like Panther and Church who have been largely lambasted on here.

No a better quality of defensive midfielder, Scott Kerr is a prime example of what we missed last night
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 25
DocTower
March 14, 2012, 1:27pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.30
Rep Score: +10 / -5
Approval: +1,223
Midfield has been the reoccouring factor for years . Bradley Wood made a difference as Thanjio and Disley get bundled off the ball far to easily . I think we are expecting too much too soon after some early freak results for us .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 25
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Something Missing

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.