This thread currently has 2,825 views. Print
4 Pages 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
newfootballer
March 12, 2012, 4:56pm

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +378

It was around about forty years ago this season that we won the fourth division title when we finished of Exeter in the last game of the season at Blundell Park.

A game I will never forget, simply for everything about the supporters and my fellow team mates 22,000 thousand supporters at Blundell Park that night incredible.

Now here is a thought we play Southport last home game of the season and we could be chasing a league position, or a play- off place.

For that game if I could get the atmosphere of that night against Exeter by bringing as many of the 71/72 team as possible to go out on the pitch and get the supporters to cheer the lads on against Southport.

I was talking about doing that Saturday to a few keen Town fans what do you think.

ALSO TELL ME WHAT PLAYERS YOU WOULD LIKE TO SEE COME BACK
NEWFOOTBALLER
Logged Offline
Private Message
pseudonym
March 12, 2012, 5:00pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +34 / -14
Approval: -1
Quoted from newfootballer

It was around about forty years ago this season that we won the fourth division title when we finished of Exeter in the last game of the season at Blundell Park.

A game I will never forget, simply for everything about the supporters and my fellow team mates 22,000 thousand supporters at Blundell Park that night incredible.

Now here is a thought we play Southport last home game of the season and we could be chasing a league position, or a play- off place.

For that game if I could get the atmosphere of that night against Exeter by bringing as many of the 71/72 team as possible to go out on the pitch and get the supporters to cheer the lads on against Southport.

I was talking about doing that Saturday to a few keen Town fans what do you think.

NEWFOOTBALLER
All of them

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 30
0ld timer
March 12, 2012, 5:03pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +3
and the big man
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 30
pseudonym
March 12, 2012, 5:07pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from 0ld timer
and the big man
Lawrie Mac or Davie B

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 30
Cumbrian Mariner
March 12, 2012, 5:07pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.30
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +304
Would be fantastic if they could all be there, especially with POTENTIALLY sso much at stake.  I remember that night and the excitement and joy that was throughout the ground especially in the pontoon.  Oh happy days.

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 30
Les Brechin
March 12, 2012, 5:13pm

Posts Per Day: 4.16
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,730
Gold Stars: 174
My first ever game. I was 7 years old and my sister took me. I sat on one of the metal barriers near the back of The Pontoon but hardly saw anything all game. I remember I kept asking my sister if we had scored everytime there was a cheer from the Town fans.

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 30
GYinScuntland
March 12, 2012, 9:23pm

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.49
Rep Score: +21 / -6
Approval: +3,253
Gold Stars: 98
It was my first ever Town game. What a cracker eh?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 30
mrsd
March 12, 2012, 10:32pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +144
What a night that was.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 30
TAGG
March 12, 2012, 10:45pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +26 / -27
Approval: +2,941
Gold Stars: 126
God makes me feel old.  I was sat on the floodlights at Harrington corner.
What a great night. The atmosphere was amazing.

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 30
GodHelpUs
March 13, 2012, 9:55am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +21 / -3
A hell of a night which wouldn't have happened had the original game not been abondoned at half time due to fog earlier in the season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 30
RonMariner
March 13, 2012, 10:08am

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,875
Gold Stars: 232
No one there that night will ever forget it. Brilliant.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 30
Biccys
March 13, 2012, 10:09am
Posts Per Day: 2.03
Rep Score: +55 / -22
Approval: +1,226
Gold Stars: 27
I wasn't even born....

@biccysthefishy

£110,105

[url]https://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/causes/mariners-trust/[/url]
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 11 - 30
RonMariner
March 13, 2012, 10:16am

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,875
Gold Stars: 232
I wonder if there is any footage available. I seem to remember a brief snippit on the Calander news the following day. I guess it's too much to expect that it has survived anywhere.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 30
newfootballer
March 13, 2012, 11:41am

Snakebite drinker
Quoted from newfootballer

NEWFOOTBALLER

Just spoke to Dave Worthington, will try to put everything off to get to Southport game and he did say the most important thing is that we support the team on the day and hopefully Town are in some kind of a position to get promoted.
NEWFOOTBALLER

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 30
jock dock tower
March 13, 2012, 12:38pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.36
Rep Score: +55 / -12
Approval: +3,164
For those who weren't there it was the equivalent of a footballing multiple orgasm.

No attempt at ethical or social seduction can eradicate from my heart a deep burning hatred of the Tory party. So far as I'm concerned they're lower than vermin. Aneurin Bevan.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 30
pseudonym
March 13, 2012, 1:39pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from jock dock tower
For those who weren't there it was the equivalent of a footballing multiple orgasm.
The balls were a lot heavier in those days !!

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 30
BIGChris
March 13, 2012, 1:47pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.96
Rep Score: +70 / -24
Approval: +2,654
Gold Stars: 6
I was right at the very front of the Ponny from about 6.30 onwards ( sat on the fench behind the goal)
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 30
brad_gtfc
March 13, 2012, 1:52pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +16 / -3
Approval: +269
22,000 in Blundell Park. Gutted that I'll never witness anything close to that in my lifetime.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 30
newfootballer
March 13, 2012, 2:20pm

Snakebite drinker
Quoted from BIGChris
I was right at the very front of the Ponny from about 6.30 onwards ( sat on the fench behind the goal)

I was fortunate I was playing.

As they said in them days inside left was my position, and even I felt honoured to be on the pitch it was that special.
NEWFOOTBALLER

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 30
kenlyn
March 13, 2012, 2:32pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Approval: +55
I remember it well, one of the best nights.

my big memory of this night was the crowd converging on the touchline ready
for the final whistle. then the referee gave a foul and they all charged on thinking
it was the final whistle. at once it seemed the chant of off,off,off came from the
stands and the pitch cleared in seconds for the game to resume, finally to end
moments later.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 30
GodHelpUs
March 13, 2012, 2:56pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +21 / -3
It's impossible to convey the atmosphere on that night.  To see BP packed to the rafters was unbelievably special and the advent of all seater stadia means we will never ever experience anything close.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 30
Cumbrian Mariner
March 13, 2012, 4:53pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.30
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +304
Would be great if the club was able to organise some sort of function in McMenemeys (meal and pre match talk) by the players, I'm sure that there would be a lot of interest and maybe even a bit of a money spinner for the club.  

Would be a great way of getting the some of the older town fans back to the ground and also letting the young uns listen to the teams experiences and memories of that season.

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 30
cleedale
March 13, 2012, 7:28pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Just goes to show how times have changed. I saw a lot of games that year and it's true that the atmosphere was great.

Mind, I do think the McMenemy era was hugely exaggerated. Even with my basic knowledge of Mariners history I seem to recall that Lawrie was gone in a tad over 2 years to Southampton - hardly an era? Obviously remembered for the huge success at the time and the fact that he did so much in football. Remember him coming into my school and had plenty of time for the kids.

The poaching thing in footie obviously hasn't changed but folk find other things to do now plus it's so hugely over-priced for a basically poor product at lower league level and until the wages get sorted and the days experience becomes more spectator oriented - who really cares?  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 30
TWAreaTownSupporter
March 16, 2012, 12:31am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.43
Rep Score: +26 / -5
Approval: +1
My first season following Town. Hooked first game. No matter how excrement we have been it's always been a thrill when you see those stripes come out on the pitch.

Couldn't go that particular night but remember hearing it from my mum's house miles away. Can't remember last time you could hear the crowd from there (mind you I'm usually in the crowd if I'm up there visitng the old dear).

The songs from that era stick in the mind the most.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 30
aaron rattray
March 16, 2012, 6:03am
allright viewers?
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.23
Rep Score: +71 / -90
Approval: -4
my dad was in the pontoon that day. ps im 16 today

i am a season ticket holder and i always will be one  

"aaron is the next michael barrymore, hes a comedinan"

it is official, i am a comedian

]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 30
BlackBoots
March 16, 2012, 8:45am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +17 / -5
Quoted from cleedale
Just goes to show how times have changed. I saw a lot of games that year and it's true that the atmosphere was great.

Mind, I do think the McMenemy era was hugely exaggerated. Even with my basic knowledge of Mariners history I seem to recall that Lawrie was gone in a tad over 2 years to Southampton - hardly an era? Obviously remembered for the huge success at the time and the fact that he did so much in football. Remember him coming into my school and had plenty of time for the kids.

The poaching thing in footie obviously hasn't changed but folk find other things to do now plus it's so hugely over-priced for a basically poor product at lower league level and until the wages get sorted and the days experience becomes more spectator oriented - who really cares?  

Not when you consider the reaction he got from the area!

The man oozed charisma. Not only did we finish with crowds of 22k+ but regular 10k+ crowds when just a year or so earlier we had lower gates than we see today. He not only united the club, but the area too.

His off the field achievements should never be underestimated imo
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 30
barralad
March 16, 2012, 9:27am
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.31
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,300
Gold Stars: 127
Quoted from BlackBoots

Not when you consider the reaction he got from the area!

The man oozed charisma. Not only did we finish with crowds of 22k+ but regular 10k+ crowds when just a year or so earlier we had lower gates than we see today. He not only united the club, but the area too.

His off the field achievements should never be underestimated imo

THIS:

You have to put the Lawrie Mac reign into the context of what had gone on immediately before. Town were forced to seek re-election only a couple of seasons before and rattled around the lower reaches of Division 4 after that flirting with re-election again in 70/71. Then, as now, there was a dormant, sleeping giant of a fan base just begging to be woken up. Lawrie knew exactly how to do that. His methods were unashamedly populist-taking players down the docks at 6:00 a.m. to show how "real" people lived and worked and opening up training sessions at Peaks Lane for fans to watch. The scene was set pre-season when we put seven past the Japanese National XI and the team were off and running after hammering Scunny 4-1 first game. The philosophy appeared to be in that first season "however many the opposition scored we'd score one more" which made for non-stop attacking football with a veil drawn over defensive lapses. The fans loved it and his place in folk lore was further cemented with the League Cup run.
The second season happened on the back of the momentum built up during the first but the team was ageing. Matt Tees was reaching the end of an illustrious career and despite all the money which came in little of it seemed to be ploughed back into the future of the club. There was an inevitability about Lawrie's departure.
For me Lawrie's biggest achievement was making the fans believe that we were invincible. In that first season it was simply a case of people turning up to watch another two points added to the total. The away followings were amazing considering the far poorer transport infrastructure that existed in those days and who could forget the near 15,000 who followed the team to Coventry in the second season.

A short period it may have been but for those who were part of it absolutely unforgettable.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 30
TAGG
March 16, 2012, 11:11am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +26 / -27
Approval: +2,941
Gold Stars: 126
Quoted from barralad

THIS:

You have to put the Lawrie Mac reign into the context of what had gone on immediately before. Town were forced to seek re-election only a couple of seasons before and rattled around the lower reaches of Division 4 after that flirting with re-election again in 70/71. Then, as now, there was a dormant, sleeping giant of a fan base just begging to be woken up. Lawrie knew exactly how to do that. His methods were unashamedly populist-taking players down the docks at 6:00 a.m. to show how "real" people lived and worked and opening up training sessions at Peaks Lane for fans to watch. The scene was set pre-season when we put seven past the Japanese National XI and the team were off and running after hammering Scunny 4-1 first game. The philosophy appeared to be in that first season "however many the opposition scored we'd score one more" which made for non-stop attacking football with a veil drawn over defensive lapses. The fans loved it and his place in folk lore was further cemented with the League Cup run.
The second season happened on the back of the momentum built up during the first but the team was ageing. Matt Tees was reaching the end of an illustrious career and despite all the money which came in little of it seemed to be ploughed back into the future of the club. There was an inevitability about Lawrie's departure.
For me Lawrie's biggest achievement was making the fans believe that we were invincible. In that first season it was simply a case of people turning up to watch another two points added to the total. The away followings were amazing considering the far poorer transport infrastructure that existed in those days and who could forget the near 15,000 who followed the team to Coventry in the second season.

A short period it may have been but for those who were part of it absolutely unforgettable

This post sums up that part of Towns history brilliantly Mr barralad.
We could do with someone at the club with the PR skills of Big Lawrie. He was not only a good manager of the players he also managed the Town fans. If God(AB) had his PR skills we would have needed a 30.000 capacity stadium.
Love NEWFOOTBALLERS passion for the club. You are a legend Dave  

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 30
newfootballer
March 16, 2012, 11:20am

Snakebite drinker
Quoted from barralad

THIS:

A short period it may have been but for those who were part of it absolutely unforgettable.

I have to add to your post, where I think you have got everything right Barra,

The fact is Laurie when he came to Grimsby was a badly hurt Manager through getting the sack from Doncaster after getting them promoted from the Fourth division to the third.

Player power got him the sack at  Doncaster, they were dumped again in to the fourth division.
When laurie came to Grimsby and we all taken into Blundel Park away dressing room because these were his words he wanted players to fight like out to be in the first team dressing room every day.

Told us what he thought about us as players and said player power will never get him the sack again. so if you do not like it here just ask for a transfer now and you can go.

As you said we got off to a good start, and we were a good team which had not performed to the correct standarsd that we were capable of doing with previous managers.

Laurie had a eye for publicity always a story, like you mentioned going down to the docks at six in the morning brilliant piece of work, the dockers loved it to see us down there.

Another thing was the pre season training was the hardest I had ever done since I was a pro, but not only did we do that at the start of the season we also had another pre season in January, and when you look back how many goals did we get in the last ten minutes of numerous games that season

The top and bottom of it was that we were a potenshiel good side which was not performing, Laurie knew that and he frightened the life out of a few of us with a few home truths and it worked.
NEWFOOTBALLER

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 30
pseudonym
March 16, 2012, 12:14pm
Vodka Drinker
I personally felt sorry for Bobby Kennedy when he got finished in 1971. We lost 1 out of the last 10 games (admittedly after a long bad run of form) but then we got Lawrie Mac who inherited most of the squad. He seemed to be able to gee them up and his additions were very good ones. Just a shame that he left within 2 years
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 30
thedmariner
March 16, 2012, 1:57pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Quoted from RonMariner
No one there that night will ever forget it. Brilliant.

Agree,still have the programe from the game and the only time i have been on the pitch.

Very vivid memories of an unbelievable night.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 30
4 Pages 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › IT WAS FORTY YEARS AGO THIS YEAR

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.