Pompous

This thread currently has 2,754 views. Print
3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Mariner1972
March 8, 2012, 7:21pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Approval: -9
What a pompous knob Tony Butcher from Cod Almighty sounded on radio Humberside.
Logged Offline
Private Message
kingofthekippers
March 8, 2012, 7:25pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.97
Rep Score: +39 / -4
Approval: +6
Quoted from Mariner1972
What a pompous knob Tony Butcher from Cod Almighty sounded on radio Humberside.

I also have a pompous knob. It has a big head.

Mr McGee, don't make me angry. You wouldn't like me when I'm angry.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 26
gtfc98
March 8, 2012, 10:24pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.73
Rep Score: +45 / -21
Approval: +3,063
Gold Stars: 68
made some good points. I'd rather be pompous than clueless ala Mr Precious

No longer Sick of the BlueSquare  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 26
bax
March 8, 2012, 10:26pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Rep Score: +25 / -3
Approval: +2,647
Gold Stars: 30
What was said? Anyone have a link?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 26
arryarryarry
March 8, 2012, 10:55pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,023
Gold Stars: 117
Quoted from gtfc98
made some good points. I'd rather be pompous than clueless ala Mr Precious

I agree.
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 26
NWMariner
March 8, 2012, 11:49pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.00

So do i.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 26
The Grim Reaper
March 9, 2012, 9:00am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.13
Rep Score: +2 / -30
Approval: -533
Gold Stars: 1
What a load of drivel Tony spoke. He basically said that he knows more about law than anyone else ever and the trust members shouldnt have voted in favour because he and codalmighty arnt in favour because they understand and nobody else does.

Jesus wants me to be a sunbeam
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 26
headingly_mariner
March 9, 2012, 11:42am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,408
Gold Stars: 124
I thought he was spot on. The Trust have no answers and seemingly no idea what it is they want to do, they were in no real position to make this kind of decision in their infancy.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 26
Squarkus
March 9, 2012, 12:49pm

Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.05
Rep Score: +4 / -8
Approval: -295
Quoted from The Grim Reaper
What a load of drivel Tony spoke. He basically said that he knows more about law than anyone else ever and the trust members shouldnt have voted in favour because he and codalmighty arnt in favour because they understand and nobody else does.
He hasnt got a clue, and i would not give it the respect of drivel, it was total SH-T what he said, does he understand how the human mind works in his (SOLISITOR LEACH INDUSTRY) no he doesnt. fenty said he will not fund the buisness whilst the power was outside the boardroom, that is all the trust had to work on, NO MONEY NO CLUB they quite obviously had meetings with fenty, thankfully the MAJORITY voted for fenty so we still have a club, if the vote went against fenty i personally think it would have given him a get out clause and he would of walked away with some form of dignity, not alot but some, so big tony my intelligent friend to play russian roulette with a rich man and try to brow beat him, would of cost us the club, so well done trust members we have another season after this one all down to you.utm

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 26
roundballovalhole
March 9, 2012, 1:36pm
Guest User
Squarkus, I have never come across anyone on the Fishy who comments on only one issue and repeats the same tired old mantra time and time again ad infinitum.  Have you ever posted on anything other than John Fenty and have you ever had any ideas at all that what John Fenty has done for the club has been anything other than brilliant?

You're pathetic really and now you are attacking someone purely on the basis of their oppositon to JF.  I like and trust the take on matters that codalmighty ususlly express.

Now all together now. . . .  I Love the Chosen one. . . . Loving him is so much fun!

You are beyond a joke Squarkus (AKA John Fenty)

Reply: 9 - 26
EvilFish
March 9, 2012, 2:11pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.21
Rep Score: +3 / -1
Approval: +597
Gold Stars: 52
Tony, a solicitor? Ahahahahahahhahhahahhahhahha. Brilliant John.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 26
BlackBoots
March 9, 2012, 2:17pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +17 / -5
Quoted from The Grim Reaper

I didnt hear the interview but from previous dealings I wouldnt be surprised if that was the tone of his interview
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 26
headingly_mariner
March 9, 2012, 2:22pm

Vodka Drinker
Quoted from BlackBoots

I didnt hear the interview but from previous dealings I wouldnt be surprised if that was the tone of his interview

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p00p3grg have a listen then it starts about 14 mins in.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 26
BlackBoots
March 9, 2012, 2:35pm
Table Wine Drinker
Quoted from headingly_mariner

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p00p3grg have a listen then it starts about 14 mins in.

Thank you
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 26
Caveman
March 9, 2012, 2:42pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +9 / -1
Approval: +776
Gold Stars: 17
To me Mr Butcher sounded as if he thought himself a cross between the Official Receiver
and the Solicitor General. What, with Gwillam Lloyd who clearly knows nothing about insolvency
and very little about football interrupting every few seconds the guy from MT had little chance
to get his point over. However he did come over somewhat ill-prepared.

As a non-member of MT I didn't vote but do accept that those entitled to made their own choice.

I, Messrs Butcher and Lloyd, will never know what the outcome would have been had the vote
gone the other way. One can only guess !

Time to get behind the team and stop the bickering '

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 26
psgmariner
March 9, 2012, 2:48pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.68
Rep Score: +39 / -15
Approval: +5,480
Gold Stars: 33
Pompous is perhaps not the right word but if it was anything like his match reports then I can imagine it was quite a challenge to extract the meaning from the fluff. An acquired taste let's say.

Same with the others at Cod Almighty. I really admire them for what they do and think it's a brilliant site but I barely agree with anything they write at the moment. I think they have swung and missed a few times in the diary. For instance, today's diary took 15 paragraphs to explain that there is no viable alternative to Fenty funding the club other than adminstration which they seemed to suggest would be worth considering.

Private Message
Reply: 15 - 26
roundballovalhole
March 9, 2012, 2:53pm
Guest User
Quoted from psgmariner
today's diary took 15 paragraphs to explain that there is no viable alternative to Fenty funding the club other than adminstration which they seemed to suggest would be worth considering.

Maybe you need to re-read it, that is not all it said at all!  The main thrust of the piece was the way that Fenty is abusing the club and it's fans for his own ego.  He has had his fun and expects the next owner to pay for it.  This makes taking on GTFC an even more unattractive proposition than it would be without his benign debts!

That was my understanding of it anyway!
Reply: 16 - 26
BlackBoots
March 9, 2012, 3:20pm
Table Wine Drinker
Just read the Cod almighty piece and I have to say it really does seem that the only choice is to do what we are doing or go down the administration route. That isnt likely to happen as our debts are primarily to JF and he wont do that as he would lose out.

The alternative is we carry on, give the managers a 'competitve budget' and hope S&H can get us back in the FL.

Doesnt seem much of a choice to me
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 26
psgmariner
March 9, 2012, 3:22pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.68
Rep Score: +39 / -15
Approval: +5,480
Gold Stars: 33
Quoted from 1054

Maybe you need to re-read it, that is not all it said at all!  The main thrust of the piece was the way that Fenty is abusing the club and it's fans for his own ego.  He has had his fun and expects the next owner to pay for it.  This makes taking on GTFC an even more unattractive proposition than it would be without his benign debts!

That was my understanding of it anyway!

I understand and accept the point about the loans making GTFC unattractive to investors but no alternatives other than admininstration or living within our means (easy phrase to band around but wait till we start selling Hearn etc at the first opportunity, increasing ticket prices etc) were put forward in the article.

Like I say, I read the diary every day. It makes me laugh, it makes me think but I rarely agree with it at the moment.

Private Message
Reply: 18 - 26
cod.gtfc
March 9, 2012, 3:23pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +31 / -14
Approval: -1
I read it a similar way to PSG, and basically the same way I already wrote in the vote result thead which was laughed at by the anti-Fenty posters.

They are basically saying we continue as we are and Fenty carries on throwing money at it for another season and then were back in the same position.

Instead they argue for Admin and say its a gamble worth taking becuase short term pain then leads onto clubs like Bournmouth and Wrexham. However they fail to say it also could lead to clubs like Halifax and Scarborough because that dosn't suit their argument.

Its all very well gambling with administration, it might pay-off but then it could quite easily not pay-off too. I'd rather gamble with one more season under Fenty's spending and a possible return to the FL were our financial position will be improved than gamble with admin were we could very well have no club at all.

Their other point about the only way to attract investors is for Fenty to write of his benign loans, I agree with it will help, however why should he? its easy for CA to want that they havn't invested any money in to GTFC so they are not losing any. Why do they expect Fenty to write off his loans and walk away with nothing if we ever became financially successful again? IF they had the money to invest would they just give it to the club and want nothing in return? very doubtful.

Admin should be a last resort not a viable plan B. However much you want to throw successful clubs post-admin into your argument, there are just as many unsuccessful admin stories.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 26
MuddyWaters
March 9, 2012, 4:38pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.59
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,294
Gold Stars: 236
Pompous, maybe. More knowledgeable than Graham Precious, certainly.
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 26
Chris
March 9, 2012, 10:08pm
Table Wine Drinker
Rep Score: +19 / -3
Approval: +1
Quoted from MuddyWaters
Pompous, maybe. More knowledgeable than Graham Precious, certainly.

Graham remained dignified in the face of strong provocation. Id have handled Butcher rather differently which is why I'm not the communications officer of the Trust
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 26
Chris
March 9, 2012, 10:15pm
Table Wine Drinker
Rep Score: +19 / -3
Approval: +1
Quoted from psgmariner

I understand and accept the point about the loans making GTFC unattractive to investors but no alternatives other than admininstration or living within our means (easy phrase to band around but wait till we start selling Hearn etc at the first opportunity, increasing ticket prices etc) were put forward in the article.

Like I say, I read the diary every day. It makes me laugh, it makes me think but I rarely agree with it at the moment.

Lets say Fenty decided to do just that. As almost the only creditor, Fenty is left to negotiate with the Administrators. He negotiates a settlement figure of about .00001p in the pound, takes total ownership of the shareholding and therefore all the clubs assets, and wipes all other shareholders in a single swipe. I can't imagine he'd take us into admin and walk away. The club has assets, BP for one.

Isn't this scenario just as likely as a new investor coming in? Is this a better solution for people? Just a thought.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 26
headingly_mariner
March 9, 2012, 10:16pm

Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Chris

Graham remained dignified in the face of strong provocation. Id have handled Butcher rather differently which is why I'm not the communications officer of the Trust

He was clearly undone and failed to offer answers to any of the big issues. He was very calm and polite but had zero answers.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 26
TAGG
March 9, 2012, 11:00pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +26 / -27
Approval: +2,941
Gold Stars: 127
I liked Mr Butcher the Codalmighty bloke because he made Gwilym Lloyd sound even more of a member than usual.
The Trust fella just sounded out of his depth.

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 26
UTMAdinfinitum
March 9, 2012, 11:10pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Rep Score: +5 / -2
Approval: +94
Not Mr Butcher's fault it's pure lazy journalism on the BBC's part for giving him the airtime and creating a controversy.

It shows just how poor they are at their profession!

No professional pride!

NB John Tondeur, who often has the inside knowledge and the consensus views of fans, is very quiet!

But he has respect, gravitas and has something about him. (I'm not saying he agrees or disagrees with this post but he never makes something out of nothing!!)
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 26
Marinerz93
March 9, 2012, 11:43pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.55
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1
Mr Butcher spoke a lot of truth and Mr Precious seemed to be regurgitating JF spin, sorry.  I think the trust could have got a better deal if they renegotiated.  I never thought I'd say it but give me Burns any day of that annoying interrupting fool Gwilym Lloyd.

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 26
3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Pompous

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.