1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Rodley Mariner
March 7, 2012, 3:49pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.36
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,279
Gold Stars: 185
Came away from Fleetwood massively disappointed like everybody else but having slept on it I feel positive again. This team are far from the most talented we've ever had but without exception they worked themselves into the ground last night and deserved a lot more than they got. It's a few years since we've had a team who look proud to play for the club and always want to do their best for each other, the fans and the managers. We might go up this season and we might not but if we keep the core of the squad together I think we'll have a real go at the automatic spot next year. I'd take this lot over more talented mercenaries like Barnard, Conlon, Warhurst etc any day.
Logged Offline
Private Message
forza ivano
March 7, 2012, 3:57pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,301
Gold Stars: 266
i think it's probably safe to say that it's more unlikely than likely that we'll go up this year - 7-8 teams still challenging for 2 spots, then the lottery of the play offs etc so I'm increasingly looking at the prospects for next year. i fervently hope that luton and fleetwood go up (if its not to be us). if that was to pan out we'd be in a wide open division next year without any big guns like luton or any money bags teams like fleetwood or crawley. the teams coming up are not exactly the biggest whilst it looks likely that small teams like daggers/barnet/hereford would be coming down. with the managers and squad having that extra experience and confidence we'd surely be in with a bluddy good chance of that top spot.even if /when hearn leaves i'm sure nicey n shouty will already have their beady eyes on a replacement and will have a damn good idea from this years experience as to who could strengthen the squad and in what departments
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 5
Rodley Mariner
March 7, 2012, 4:04pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.36
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,279
Gold Stars: 185
Agree with all that. Re Hearn I'd thought the same earlier - that we'll really miss him next season assuming he moves on to league football. We will do undoubtedly, but as you say, you'd back the managers to have someone lined up and the other signings they've made have gradually improved the team. The other positive is you can be confident that whoever they bring in will probably be young, hungry, a grafter and a decent bloke as well. One thing i have noticed in the past few months is there seems to be a connection between the fans and the players that's been missing for a long time. Lots of reasons to be positive!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 5
forza ivano
March 7, 2012, 4:18pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,301
Gold Stars: 266
Quoted from Rodley Mariner
Agree with all that. Re Hearn I'd thought the same earlier - that we'll really miss him next season assuming he moves on to league football. We will do undoubtedly, but as you say, you'd back the managers to have someone lined up and the other signings they've made have gradually improved the team. The other positive is you can be confident that whoever they bring in will probably be young, hungry, a grafter and a decent bloke as well. One thing i have noticed in the past few months is there seems to be a connection between the fans and the players that's been missing for a long time. Lots of reasons to be positive!

i think they'll have been looking for at least the last 3 months; similarly i think they'll be on the prowl for a young reserve keeper, left back and a duffy type replacement. there's some quite interesting names amongst the  leading scorers in bsp north - we've talked about reeves before but spencer,marsh and gregory all would seem to fit the ideal profile for nicey n shouty

Player     Team     Goals
1     Damien Reeves     Altrincham     34
2     Scott Spencer     Hyde     23
3     Dwight Gayle     Bishop's Stortford     21
4     Phil Marsh     Stalybridge Celtic     19
5     Dan Holman     Histon     17
6     Leighton McGivern     Vauxhall Motors     15
7     Andre Gray     Hinckley United     14
8     Lee Gregory     FC Halifax Town     14
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 5
TownSNAFU5
March 7, 2012, 11:13pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,908
Gold Stars: 42
Besides new players we have a very good allround squad.  Church proved his mettle last night in the heat of battle. Pearson has been good in the last few games.  They have now settled in well to FT football at a higher level. This improvement supports the managers' judgement in bringing them to Town. They both give 100%.

Disley was good last night as well.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 5
mariner91
March 7, 2012, 11:17pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,816
Gold Stars: 264
Still think we've got a chance this year. The big problem we face is replacing Hearn if he goes. However, I feel given a run of games and some coaching that KHM could be turned into a pretty decent striker. If not, I'd back the managers to get it right.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 5
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Last Night

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.