This thread currently has 2,966 views. Print
3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
hazdy
March 6, 2012, 11:13pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +15
B@astard.B@astard.B@astard.B@astard.B@astard.B@astard.

Right, got a bit of it out of my system, on with the report.

First half I thought the whole team played really quite well. Defending was great and the team looked solid. Fleetwood couldn't break us down and we probably had more possession overall. No names to pick out particularly, except Silk deserved a mention as he won slightly more than his fair share of headers and tackles. Only reason he showed a little more than the rest of the defence was that he was often let down by Soares being out of position from time to time.
Miller made a fabulous tackle when Vardy was about to go through on goal though.

I was jumping up and  down thinking Hearn should have had a penalty and almost too busy to notice that he had somehow managed to get his toe to the ball and it trickled over the line. It was the only real chance for either team in the entire half, which wasn't much of a show for the neutral.

Second half started the same way and Town if anything slightly shading it. Fleetwood broght on Peter Till, who didn't make any difference. as well as Brodie who certainly did. Brodie's first action was to get booked for diving in the box and highlighted Fleetwood's cynical attempts to get every free kick.

Up until the penalty I thought the ref was having a pretty good game (compared to the usual dross) except he was overly keen to book Town players for very little. My initial reaction to the penalty was that it was a good tackle and a corner. it was athe the other end so I didnt get a great view though. Gobsmaked it was then given and the players reaction seemed to confirm it was a harsh decision. Later on, the ref also managed to come up with a yellow card for Townsend. I'm not sure why but it seems the only reason could be for time-wasting. Townsend was waiting to take a throw in and for the ball to come out of the Fleetwood crowd. When he finally received it, he turned around to see the ref running towards him brandishing the yellow. He looked totally bemused.

As ever, the penalty was the game changer. and Fleetwood gained an extra yard all over the pitch. Town still defended well and didn't look outclassed by any stretch, although we created very few chances. Soares seemed to have some promise but when in good positions he looked like he didn't really know what to do with it and usually gave it away cheaply. I guess he needs more games, but Thanoj coming on for him was a good move. I don't think Soares should keep his place in the team.

Their last minute goal was a sickener and you could see how much it meant to the players. I wasn't so disappointed that we'd lost a point, but surprisingly angry that Fleetwood had gained all three.

On a positive note, I am actually encouraged, because if we do meet Fleetwood in the playoffs, I'm sure we could seem them off over 2 legs. On another day we could have won that game, although we didn't really create enough to justify more than a point,
Logged Offline
Private Message
BIGChris
March 7, 2012, 12:33am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.96
Rep Score: +70 / -24
Approval: +2,654
Gold Stars: 6
Agree with most of the above.

First half we were dominant against a side who look like they will cruise to the title. Everyone played well but perhaps a little more could have been expected of our wide players.

One up at half time but, IMO much the better side.

Fleetwood were always going to have a spell in the game but it was slow in coming. We were defending very well and Church in particular was breaking up ots of their play. Brodie came on and immediately tried to con the ref with an outrangous dive in the box, but the assistant had a clear view and flagged for a GTFC free kick. The big change Brodie did bring about was that Vardy moved to a wider position and started to run riot. (he had been very subdued centrally and didnt look much at all)

I though our substition actually unbalanced the team and Silk lacked cover and support. The penalty? Obviously havent seen it but from the other end of the ground it looked a totally well timed tackle. The ref took an age to give it. As a ref i always err on the side of caution with penalties. You have to be absolutly certain to give one and I suspect he had huge doubt because of the delay. (he actually had a good game besides the peno and Townsends caution. How he could be cautioned for time wasting when the Fleetwood crowd retained the ball i dont know)

The winning goal? I dont know if it took a deflection but it flew in and was a great strike.

IF Fleetwood win the league as expected then we arent far behind them on tonights showing. MCNulty gets a load of stick but he was outstanding imo. Reads the game, uses his girth well but also was quite happy to pick Liam up and be taken in wide areas. He isnt slow for a big guy!

Finally what on earth were Fleetwood doing in locking the Town fans in after the game?? nearly caused a riot!!!
2400 there and a couple of hundred or so Town fans and they reckon the home fans needed time to disperse to avoid confrontation?? Whoever made that decision wants sacking. it was the best part of a 3 hour journey on a Tuesday night and they want to lock us in the ground? Steward told me it was the chairmans decision?? The coppers outside said it was nothing to do with them. If they cant handle 2-300 away fans god knows what they will do if/when they get in the league (or when Wrexham go there soon with 2000+)
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 23
arryarryarry
March 7, 2012, 12:45am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,024
Gold Stars: 117
Quoted from hazdy
B@astard.B@astard.B@astard.B@astard.B@astard.B@astard.

Right, got a bit of it out of my system, on with the report.

First half I thought the whole team played really quite well. Defending was great and the team looked solid. Fleetwood couldn't break us down and we probably had more possession overall. No names to pick out particularly, except Silk deserved a mention as he won slightly more than his fair share of headers and tackles. Only reason he showed a little more than the rest of the defence was that he was often let down by Soares being out of position from time to time.
Miller made a fabulous tackle when Vardy was about to go through on goal though.

I was jumping up and  down thinking Hearn should have had a penalty and almost too busy to notice that he had somehow managed to get his toe to the ball and it trickled over the line. It was the only real chance for either team in the entire half, which wasn't much of a show for the neutral.

Second half started the same way and Town if anything slightly shading it. Fleetwood broght on Peter Till, who didn't make any difference. as well as Brodie who certainly did. Brodie's first action was to get booked for diving in the box and highlighted Fleetwood's cynical attempts to get every free kick.

Up until the penalty I thought the ref was having a pretty good game (compared to the usual dross) except he was overly keen to book Town players for very little. My initial reaction to the penalty was that it was a good tackle and a corner. it was athe the other end so I didnt get a great view though. Gobsmaked it was then given and the players reaction seemed to confirm it was a harsh decision. Later on, the ref also managed to come up with a yellow card for Townsend. I'm not sure why but it seems the only reason could be for time-wasting. Townsend was waiting to take a throw in and for the ball to come out of the Fleetwood crowd. When he finally received it, he turned around to see the ref running towards him brandishing the yellow. He looked totally bemused.

As ever, the penalty was the game changer. and Fleetwood gained an extra yard all over the pitch. Town still defended well and didn't look outclassed by any stretch, although we created very few chances. Soares seemed to have some promise but when in good positions he looked like he didn't really know what to do with it and usually gave it away cheaply. I guess he needs more games, but Thanoj coming on for him was a good move. I don't think Soares should keep his place in the team.
Their last minute goal was a sickener and you could see how much it meant to the players. I wasn't so disappointed that we'd lost a point, but surprisingly angry that Fleetwood had gained all three.

On a positive note, I am actually encouraged, because if we do meet Fleetwood in the playoffs, I'm sure we could seem them off over 2 legs. On another day we could have won that game, although we didn't really create enough to justify more than a point,

I saw it as an own goal.

I thought Soares was having a good game and felt he shouldn't have be taken off that early. in the second half we didn't put enough pressure on Fleetwood and let them get at us. For me Disley had one of his best games for a while, Hearn was given poor service and thought Elding was a bit of a waste of space.

I didn't think it was a penalty.

Private Message
Reply: 2 - 23
GTFCLarry
March 7, 2012, 3:51am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +69
Let's still try and keep the faith guys,

Onwards and upwards.

U.T.M. Always and Forever.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 23
Youngy
March 7, 2012, 7:13am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.22
Rep Score: +14 / -3
Approval: +1,687
Gold Stars: 9
Had a 5 hour sleep to digest the game

As above, I thought first half was the most professional performance of the season. We looked in control, knocked the ball around well and Elding's energy made a real difference as it allowed to play into channels allot more and create space

Two incidents changed the game in the second half. Firstly bringing Thanoj on for Soures. We lost our shape, Fleetwood doubled up on Silk on the right after that and we struggled with the Fleetwood attack

Secondly the penalty. 2000+ people in the stadium, 22 players on the pitch, zero appeals for a penalty. The referee see's the incidents, wait's a good 10 seconds and then decides it's a penalty? Another downright bizarre decision in a long line of mental BSP refereeing gaffs.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 23
aldi_01
March 7, 2012, 7:18am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
I think the fact the players of both sides didn't appeal and are claiming it wasn't a penalty suggests it is a wrong decision. PLayers after a game are usually honest and just get on with it but all towns players are complaining about it on twitter...i'm a ref but even i know that decisions like this can cost people jobs etc.

Something needs to be done, we've had one ref who was any good all season, the game against Alfreton springs to mind and thats it. You can hardly call it sour grapes either just incompetent officiating that isn't acceptable.

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 23
flash1
March 7, 2012, 7:53am
rather be a codhead than a scunt
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +21 / -9
Approval: +1
Quoted from BIGChris
Agree with most of the above.

First half we were dominant against a side who look like they will cruise to the title. Everyone played well but perhaps a little more could have been expected of our wide players.

One up at half time but, IMO much the better side.

Fleetwood were always going to have a spell in the game but it was slow in coming. We were defending very well and Church in particular was breaking up ots of their play. Brodie came on and immediately tried to con the ref with an outrangous dive in the box, but the assistant had a clear view and flagged for a GTFC free kick. The big change Brodie did bring about was that Vardy moved to a wider position and started to run riot. (he had been very subdued centrally and didnt look much at all)

I though our substition actually unbalanced the team and Silk lacked cover and support. The penalty? Obviously havent seen it but from the other end of the ground it looked a totally well timed tackle. The ref took an age to give it. As a ref i always err on the side of caution with penalties. You have to be absolutly certain to give one and I suspect he had huge doubt because of the delay. (he actually had a good game besides the peno and Townsends caution. How he could be cautioned for time wasting when the Fleetwood crowd retained the ball i dont know)

The winning goal? I dont know if it took a deflection but it flew in and was a great strike.

IF Fleetwood win the league as expected then we arent far behind them on tonights showing. MCNulty gets a load of stick but he was outstanding imo. Reads the game, uses his girth well but also was quite happy to pick Liam up and be taken in wide areas. He isnt slow for a big guy!

Finally what on earth were Fleetwood doing in locking the Town fans in after the game?? nearly caused a riot!!!
2400 there and a couple of hundred or so Town fans and they reckon the home fans needed time to disperse to avoid confrontation?? Whoever made that decision wants sacking. it was the best part of a 3 hour journey on a Tuesday night and they want to lock us in the ground? Steward told me it was the chairmans decision?? The coppers outside said it was nothing to do with them. If they cant handle 2-300 away fans god knows what they will do if/when they get in the league (or when Wrexham go there soon with 2000+)

totally agree,at the end i picked up my flag and went to the entrance where no1 steward said they would be holding us for 25 mins inside the ground!i asked to speak to the muppet who had made that decision and he said the police hade,funny that as i spoke to the police outside the ground and they had no knowledge of that,my decision to unlock the 6ft gate with the the assistance from some other town fans i dont regret one bit,,,,,crazy decision

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 23
Billybigbollox
March 7, 2012, 8:21am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +12 / -2
Approval: +3
how many town fans attended last night???
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 23
headingly_mariner
March 7, 2012, 8:54am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,408
Gold Stars: 124
Quoted from Youngy
Had a 5 hour sleep to digest the game

As above, I thought first half was the most professional performance of the season. We looked in control, knocked the ball around well and Elding's energy made a real difference as it allowed to play into channels allot more and create space

Two incidents changed the game in the second half. Firstly bringing Thanoj on for Soures. We lost our shape, Fleetwood doubled up on Silk on the right after that and we struggled with the Fleetwood attack
Secondly the penalty. 2000+ people in the stadium, 22 players on the pitch, zero appeals for a penalty. The referee see's the incidents, wait's a good 10 seconds and then decides it's a penalty? Another downright bizarre decision in a long line of mental BSP refereeing gaffs.

I agree with that, i also think the fleetwood changes made a big difference.

Ref was a joke 2nd half and after a decent 1st half Elding was dominated by the two centre halves, the amount of times he was just eased of the ball was shocking.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 23
trawldoor
March 7, 2012, 8:58am
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.00
Fleetwood fan here, just would like to say that you were the best side in the league I have seen at Highbury this season. Stopped us playing our passing game 1st half but thought we grinded you down late on. Can see why you have been on great run of late and you have more than a chance of a play off place.All the best .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 23
gobby
March 7, 2012, 9:04am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.76
Rep Score: +31 / -1
Approval: +776
Gold Stars: 7
Quoted from trawldoor
Fleetwood fan here, just would like to say that you were the best side in the league I have seen at Highbury this season. Stopped us playing our passing game 1st half but thought we grinded you down late on. Can see why you have been on great run of late and you have more than a chance of a play off place.All the best .

Put your tin hat on fella, then get all the sand bags out as you are gunna be in for a bombardment of abuse.
UTMM

The Icenian Predicition League  CHAMPION 2016/17
Beat The Clock Champion 2020/21 🏆 👏

My old man said follow the Town
And dont dilly dally on the way
We'll take Scunny in half a minute
We'll take Lincoln and all thats in it!

One Step Beyond.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 23
BlackBoots
March 7, 2012, 9:05am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +17 / -5
Quoted from trawldoor

Stopped you playing your passing game because we kept the ball

What was your opinion of the 'penalty'?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 23
Pontoon Steve
March 7, 2012, 10:38am

Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +6
Quoted from trawldoor

I hope WREXHAM win this fecking league, yes and i hope we make the play off final, and meet your fecking tin pot club in it at wembley, urine pour support for a team who are top of the league.

[URL=http://s1157.photobucket.com/user/steve427/media/Planes/Football/2012_01_21_8342-2.jpg.html][IMG]http://i1157.photobucket.com/albums/p594/steve427/Planes/Football/2012_01_21_8342-2.jpg[/IMG][/URL]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 23
RoboCod
March 7, 2012, 10:41am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.90
Rep Score: +70 / -19
Approval: +7,505
Quoted from trawldoor

Thought your best player was the guy who in the middle of the field, ran about a lot, very commanding, what was his name...oh yeah, West.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 23
Total Football
March 7, 2012, 10:53am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.05
Rep Score: +9 / -1
think it goes without saying we was robbed last night by a big decision against..

on the positives thought every player put a right shift in and could see the players reaction at the end...gutted after working so hard throughout the game came away with nothing.

my player ratings,

macca, was assured in goal, some very good handling, with very good kicking. 7
silk, played very well yet again, second half got doubled up on and had little cover from soares, and when we changed to 3 up front, with hearn providing little cover. 7
pearson, again was solid won all his headers. 7
miller, very solid performace, won headers and marshelled very well, thought he had a chance to take a yellow card out wide as vardy set off. 7
townsend, as usual good on the ball an covered miller very well steady performance. 7
coulson, prob our worst player, didnt offer much width was playing on the left, never really caursed to many problems for them an never got any crosses in, very much in and out the game.  and why on hell was he flicking the ball inside near the corner flag with 1 min left, witch resulted in the goal. 5/6
disley, worked very hard had good possesion, just think disley plays side to side alot rather the play the forward pass from time to time. 7
church, worked his shock off, put in some fantastic tackles breoke play up very well, and made some great runs forward. and how the ref gave the pen against him when he put in a fantastic tackle. mom 9
soarse, had some good runs erly on in the game, very tidy in his play. 7
hearn, worked very hard looked alot more himself with elding along side of him made great runs down the sides, caurse the issue for the goal, after a mistake from there player to pass it across the backline to find hearn who then found himself in on goal prob could have shot with his left foot again but came back on his right as he did that the defender tackled him and put the ball into his own net. 7
elding, show why he was missed last couple of game loads of energy work rate, always organising, dropped on fowler the deepest midfielder when defending to stop him playing, in a result fowler was withdrawn. he does alot of unoticed work for the team. made some decant runs into the channels, husseled and busseled. think the 2 lads up top had very little service, was mainly working of scraps. 7

subs, thanoj, think found it very difficult to get into the game, got court in possion quite alot, settled down after 5-10 mins an starting to find some nice passes. 6
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 23
cmackenzie4
March 7, 2012, 10:55am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 11.22
Rep Score: +130 / -10
Approval: +14,346
Gold Stars: 34
Quoted from RoboCod

Thought your best player was the guy who in the middle of the field, ran about a lot, very commanding, what was his name...oh yeah, West.

Grimsby and proud!
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 23
springstomind
March 7, 2012, 11:19am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.35
Rep Score: +24 / -7
Approval: +322
Quoted from trawldoor

nothin against you mate, you just another true fan but your club are horrendous, lots and lots of diving, shocking attendance for top of league, your manager blatantly briefed Brody to go on and dive for a penalty and kick some town players... As he does every game!
You have a good squad but Brody is a disgrace to the game, I made my mind up about your club earlier in the season when I saw I think a Cup game on tv and your fans were keeping the ball and hiding it every 5 minutes. it got highly tedious and embarrassing and I think you were only playing Yeovil or something. Up the Wrexham tonight, I hope you get spanked in the play off final with a 98th minute injury time badly awarded penalty decision haha.

Go eat excrement
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 23
ticker_1610
March 7, 2012, 11:32am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.59
Rep Score: +32 / -6
If their chairman prevented fans leaving the ground and locked the exit gate, did he have police permission or not? If not isn't it false imprisonment? Anyone checked it out?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 23
trawldoor
March 7, 2012, 4:07pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.00
Wish I had,nt posted,do you lot think I am taking the urine or something,just a honest view from my side of the table. Wanting a WELSH team to pip us to the title? how strange, you better go and burn all them GTFC Saint George flags sharpish lads.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 23
nickmariners
March 7, 2012, 4:14pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +21 / -6
Approval: +520
Gold Stars: 4
Quoted from trawldoor
Wish I had,nt posted,do you lot think I am taking the urine or something,just a honest view from my side of the table. Wanting a WELSH team to pip us to the title? how strange, you better go and burn all them GTFC Saint George flags sharpish lads.

I shouldn't worry about it mate.  Sweet Reason can be in short supply on here.  But, out of interest, what DID you slip the ref?  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 23
flash1
March 7, 2012, 4:15pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +21 / -9
Approval: +1
Quoted from trawldoor

The way your club treated our fans last night was disgracefull,if you do get promoted get ready for some not so nice fans visiting your shithole,and they wont be so polite as we were last night!

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 23
Mighty_Mariner
March 7, 2012, 4:16pm
Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +42 / -9
Approval: +2,262
Gold Stars: 10
Quoted from springstomind

nothin against you mate, you just another true fan but your club are horrendous, lots and lots of diving, shocking attendance for top of league, your manager blatantly briefed Brody to go on and dive for a penalty and kick some town players... As he does every game!
You have a good squad but Brody is a disgrace to the game, I made my mind up about your club earlier in the season when I saw I think a Cup game on tv and your fans were keeping the ball and hiding it every 5 minutes. it got highly tedious and embarrassing and I think you were only playing Yeovil or something. Up the Wrexham tonight, I hope you get spanked in the play off final with a 98th minute injury time badly awarded penalty decision haha.

Go eat excrement

LMAO  

"They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old, Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn, At the going down of the sun, and in the morning, We WILL remember them"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 23
hook line and sinker
March 7, 2012, 5:11pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +14 / -5
Approval: +37
Quoted from Pontoon Steve

I hope WREXHAM win this fecking league, yes and i hope we make the play off final, and meet your fecking tin pot club in it at wembley, urine pour support for a team who are top of the league.

This
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 23
Abdul19
March 7, 2012, 9:07pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.40
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,639
Gold Stars: 220
I couldn't really care less that Wrexham happens to be in Wales. Fact is, it's a football club, not a pub team.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 23
3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just Back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.