2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
Paris Mariner
March 6, 2012, 9:49pm
www.theliquidfootballblog.wordpress.com
Main Stander
Posts Per Day: 0.53
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +809
It seems to me, from the match commentary, that firstly, taking off Soares backfired as a change. We seemed to come under the kosh a lot more after that (no doubt we lost a lot of width by playing 3 centre midfielders in a 4-4-2) and their change of formation gave them a bit more width. This put us under a bit more pressure which has led to an allegedly non-existent penalty and then a screamer has one it.

A real shame as we're now 6 points off the play-offs which leaves us a lot to do. Keep going Town, we can still make it and we should take heart from what sounded like a good performance overall.

I'm so gutted I'm of to bed.

bilbaogroundguide.wordpress.com
ingoldale.tumblr.com Football and gig ticket blog
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
aldi_01
March 6, 2012, 9:53pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
We do have games in hand and we know in this league anything can happen. We've lost tonight because te ref has seemingly given an awful penalty to allow them a way back in which didn't seem possible up until that point.

I don't mind losing when we play well but when a poor decision costs us it is very hard to hold your head up...

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 11
80sglory
March 6, 2012, 9:55pm
Guest User
We've been served up a huge sh1t sandwich tonight but I agree, we can still make it.
Reply: 2 - 11
petethemariner
March 6, 2012, 10:05pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.32
Rep Score: +36 / -2
Approval: +1,011
Gold Stars: 16
Obviously i wasn't there and can only  go from the commentary, but i have to agree with Paris, OK
sometimes you have to go like for like with formations once the opposition change theirs, but i would have thought if you were going to take Soares off because you were coming under pressure, a straight swop for Bradley Wood as a right side midfielder, with his boundless energy, would have been better ( that, i know is with hindsight, which, i am aware  is a wonderful thing), but  the changes that were made definitely seemed to upset the balance  and you could just sense after the  dubious penalty award that they were going to steal it.
Thats not meant as a criticism of Scott and Hurst who have performed miracles over the last 3 months, but that lost point  could cost us dearly, such is the tightness in the playoff positions.
Unlucky lads, lets get back on a  new run from Saturday.
God, i loathe Fleetwood so much it hurts!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 11
Fishfinger
March 6, 2012, 10:08pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.51
Rep Score: +46 / -6
Approval: +144
absolute sickener. Gonna be hard work for town now but I still believe we have a chance
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 11
we will return
March 6, 2012, 10:13pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.23
Rep Score: +19 / -1
Approval: +35
6 points off, game in hand and I think tonight's game showed that we can beat the best as I believe we would have won tonight had that penalty not been given and tonight was the hardest game of the season in my opinion. By next Tuesday it's perfectly feasible for us to be sat level on points with York or at most 3 points behind with a game in hand.

UTM!
The Icenian Prediction League Winner 2013!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 11
80sglory
March 6, 2012, 10:13pm
Guest User
Town caller on RH at the match agreed with you about Soares Paris.
Whilst it might be soaking up pressure, you can fully understand why they'd try to solidify the midfield and keep it tight.
If that was indeed the plan maybe they should have gone the whole hog and taken off an attacker and gone 5-4-1/4-5-1
But at the end of the day you can't legislate for a poor decision like that.
Reply: 6 - 11
aldi_01
March 6, 2012, 10:41pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
At least we have something to play for going into the run in to the season and anything is possible. Any team is capable of dropping points.

We should have had at least a point tonight but for a team of cheats so anything is possible

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 11
Paris Mariner
March 7, 2012, 12:40pm
www.theliquidfootballblog.wordpress.com
Main Stander
Posts Per Day: 0.53
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +809
Quoted from 1600
Town caller on RH at the match agreed with you about Soares Paris.
Whilst it might be soaking up pressure, you can fully understand why they'd try to solidify the midfield and keep it tight.
If that was indeed the plan maybe they should have gone the whole hog and taken off an attacker and gone 5-4-1/4-5-1
But at the end of the day you can't legislate for a poor decision like that.

I definitely disagree with your 4-5-1/5-4-1 shout. We used to do this all the time under Lawrence/Groves and more often than not ended up throwing away points from winning/drawing positions. It's an awful tactic which automatically invites pressure on to the side employing it.

bilbaogroundguide.wordpress.com
ingoldale.tumblr.com Football and gig ticket blog
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 8 - 11
Chris
March 7, 2012, 12:42pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +19 / -3
Approval: +1
Just one defeat, it was bound to happen sooner or later. It's no disaster, we're still very much in the hunt for the play offs.

Time to start another unbeaten run that will this time take us to the Football league!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 11
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Judging by JT

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.