2 Pages 1 2 All Recommend Thread
RichMariner
March 4, 2012, 3:07pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,160
Gold Stars: 211
I didn't manage to get back for the match yesterday and wasn't able to listen to it on the radio either so I relied on reading through my twitter feed and scanning the posts on here to get an understanding of how we played.

I must say, the match highlights - which, I accept, may have been edited to show us in a better light - seem to suggest we played a lot better than people on here and twitter made out. I can understand the frustration of not being able to beat a part-time club at home in the sort of form that we've been showing, but there's no doubt that the effort was there.

All in all, it looked like we played well and deserved the three points but were unlucky due to some dogged defending from Braintree.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
wigworld
March 4, 2012, 6:07pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.58
Rep Score: +32 / -3
Approval: +2,080
Gold Stars: 29
Exactly my thoughts (I was there). I don't think the highlights were especially biased.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 1 - 10
pontoonlew
March 4, 2012, 6:15pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +9,091
Gold Stars: 178
Braintree did offer very little to be fair, if we were allowed to have a flowing game instead of being blown up for everything then I firmly believe it'd been a different game.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 10
FishOutOfWater
March 4, 2012, 6:57pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.14
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,577
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from pontoonlew
Braintree did offer very little to be fair, if we were allowed to have a flowing game instead of being blown up for everything then I firmly believe it'd been a different game.

To be fair, the game wasn't able to flow because there were so many serious injuries to Braintree's players

The ref had no option but to stop the action each time one of their players went to ground and remained motionless on the ground...

It looked as if some of the injuries sustained might have been life threatening so there was little else that could be done other than us all pray these guys pulled through once the ref had halted play
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 3 - 10
pontoonlew
March 4, 2012, 7:07pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +9,091
Gold Stars: 178
Quoted from FishOutOfWater

To be fair, the game wasn't able to flow because there were so many serious injuries to Braintree's players

The ref had no option but to stop the action each time one of their players went to ground and remained motionless on the ground...

It looked as if some of the injuries sustained might have been life threatening so there was little else that could be done other than us all pray these guys pulled through once the ref had halted play

Personal favourite was when the guy went down, looked up and saw the game wasn't going to be stopped so he clutched his head!? The got up clutching his shoulder. Then we had to settle for a contested bounce up!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 10
Maringer
March 4, 2012, 8:43pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,658
Gold Stars: 189
Regarding that contested drop-ball, did anyone else notice that Thanoj simply didn't have a clue what he should do? He didn't back up Disley, but just stood to one side expecting the ball might be passed to him! These young whippersnappers obviously don't understand the hack-fest that a proper drop-ball can become.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 10
Abdul19
March 4, 2012, 8:48pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,586
Gold Stars: 218
We didn't play that well but if we'd won 3 or 4-1 it wouldn't have been unfair.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 10
FishOutOfWater
March 5, 2012, 2:01pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.14
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,577
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from Abdul19
We didn't play that well but if we'd won 3 or 4-1 it wouldn't have been unfair.

I tend to agree with this....the chances we had after we equalised in any other game would have / should have been converted and we'd have take all three points

Out of interest I was talking to a Hull fan this morning (I work over there) who asked how we did....I told him about our disappointing 1-1 draw and he told me about their happiness and relief with their own 1-1 draw

I suppose it's because on the one hand we see it as 2 points dropped and they see it as 1 point gained that makes football the interesting game it is...the old glass half empty / half full syndrome  
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 7 - 10
80sglory
March 5, 2012, 8:26pm
Guest User
Quoted from pontoonlew
Personal favourite was when the guy went down, looked up and saw the game wasn't going to be stopped so he clutched his head!? The got up clutching his shoulder. Then we had to settle for a contested bounce up!

What I don't get is WHY they bothered.

Why timewaste and cheat to grind out a point ?
It's not like they're going for the playoffs or in a relegation battle.

So they can say "Oooh look we got 4 points out of 6" ?
Woppee-effing dooo !  
Midtable mother-pluckers.  
Reply: 8 - 10
Jarmo.Is.God
March 6, 2012, 2:01pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +6,050
Gold Stars: 86
just watched the highlights,

How we can claim there player was offside is beyond me ? there player is playing it out to the wing and ends up going in a different direction.

the Centre backs need to hold there hand up for not playing on, they seemed to stand there with there hands up, and Mckeown just stood there. Shocking.

i know them highlights are biased. but we looked ok. not great, but we created some decent chances. hearn seemed to get cancelled out by there defenders all game.

I DID NOT GO TO THE GAME, I WAS WORKING, SO I AM SAYING THIS BY JUST LOOKING AT THE HIGHLIGHTS
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 10
Maringer
March 6, 2012, 2:31pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,658
Gold Stars: 189
Apparently, the laws say that the opposition player is onside only if the ball is 'played' to him by the defender. Deflections shouldn't count as 'playing' the ball, apparently, though the laws aren't exactly specific about it. Ultimately, it was down to the referee's interpretation of the incident which it seems was probably wrong. Despite that, we defended badly on that occasion - play to the whistle!

Hearn didn't have his best game but still scored one, should have had at least two and completely skinned their defence to put in dangerous crosses on a couple of occasions. Just one of those days, unfortunately, where a below-par performance wasn't good enough to get the points due to missed opportunities.

Fouling and time-wasting aside, I think Braintree also played some decent football at times so I don't begrudge them a point too much.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 10
2 Pages 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Highlights

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.