Biccys
March 5, 2012, 3:20pm
Posts Per Day: 2.04
Rep Score: +55 / -22
Approval: +1,226
Gold Stars: 27
Quoted from 1600

Certainly agree with that !
He didn't do anything wrong but not sure Miller did well enough yesterday to earn his place - he seemed off the pace in the extreme at times and tbh he didn't look completely assured either.

Obviously few will agree with me about rotating the team but I'd go even further.

Absolutely nothing to lose at Fleetwood whatsoever and I think it might prove beneficial for the rest of the campaign to freshen things up by resting a few and handing others a chance - at the very least it's opening up competition for places and a much needed run out for some of the players not recently involved.

It's all well and good fans saying the only way Soares will get match fitness is through playing (and they're right) but he's not the only one by any means.
Who knows who's in need of a rest and who's chomping at the bit, keen to make a push for a regular place.
I wouldn't be suprised if KHM could make a big impression and same thing goes for Church, who's combative presence in midfield could arguably prove helpful on the night.
Silk was a solid contender for MOM on Saturday but I'd love to see Bradley Wood back in the fold and fact is, we're not gonna get a better time than this !!
In for a penny in for pound, I'd swap Garner(if he's fully fit) for Pearson too.

....................McKeown
Wood.....I'Anson.....Garner....Townsend
H-Mason...Thanoj.....Church....Soares
...............Elding.....Hearn
Subs: Silk, Pearson, Disley, Coulson, Duffy

Another option for me is to play 5 at the back with 3 centre backs to try to grind out a clean sheet.
Bypass the midfield(are we gonna control much of the ball in midfield anyway ?), leave Church to work his socks off covering midfield in front of the back 5 and hit them with long ball on the counter with 4 attackers at the other end (with fullbacks pushing up to support)

........................McKeown
Wood...Garner....I'Anson...Pearson...Townsend
....|.......................Church.........................|.....
....v....H-Mason.....................Soares.........v
.....................Elding......Hearn

I like the wing-backs formation but not sure it's wise to leave Disley out. I understand your point about rotation, but not against Fleetwood. ANd I'd be reluctant to change 3 of the back 4 (or 5, depending on how you look at it) because for a back 4, consistency is brought about by time on the pitch together. There's no doubt about that.

I like the KHM---Soares as a pair behind Hearn & Elding though... Pacy and quite tricky. I'm just not convinced the midfield would be strong enough.

I suppose a mixture of the 2 systems is my ideal. The wing backs with 2 CB's and a CM sitting in front of them. The 2 wing backs would bomb forward safe in the knowledge that there's cover from a sitting midfielder. If he's disciplined enough to stay back...!

Macca

^               Miller             Pearson/Garner             ^
    |                                                                       |
  Wood                          ^                               Townsend
    |                               |                                      |
    |                         Church                                    |

Disley
             KHM                           Soares

Elding        Hearn

Championship winning formation, that... Maybe.

@biccysthefishy

£110,105

[url]https://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/causes/mariners-trust/[/url]
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 10 - 17
Total Football
March 5, 2012, 4:31pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.05
Rep Score: +9 / -1
Quoted from Biccys

I like the wing-backs formation but not sure it's wise to leave Disley out. I understand your point about rotation, but not against Fleetwood. ANd I'd be reluctant to change 3 of the back 4 (or 5, depending on how you look at it) because for a back 4, consistency is brought about by time on the pitch together. There's no doubt about that.

I like the KHM---Soares as a pair behind Hearn & Elding though... Pacy and quite tricky. I'm just not convinced the midfield would be strong enough.

I suppose a mixture of the 2 systems is my ideal. The wing backs with 2 CB's and a CM sitting in front of them. The 2 wing backs would bomb forward safe in the knowledge that there's cover from a sitting midfielder. If he's disciplined enough to stay back...!

Macca

Disley

Elding        Hearn

no andy thanoj been the better out of him an disley...also can pass the ball better..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 17
roundballovalhole
March 5, 2012, 4:38pm
Guest User
Quoted from 1600

Absolutely nothing to lose at Fleetwood whatsoever

eh?  3 points?  a game of football? Our momentum towarsd the playoffs? 8th spot?  anyone would think that we are playing the unbeaten Arsenal side from a few seasons ago, not a team that are at the top of the conference playing in front of 1500 home supporters!
Reply: 12 - 17
Rodley Mariner
March 5, 2012, 4:41pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.36
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,258
Gold Stars: 178
Call me crazy but I'd stick with something along the lines of the team and formation that have won 10 and drawn 3 of their last 13 league games. Try dragging that suggestion out over half a page though.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 17
Mighty_Mariner
March 5, 2012, 5:34pm
Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 0.84
Rep Score: +42 / -9
Approval: +2,241
Gold Stars: 10
Quoted from Rodley Mariner
Call me crazy but I'd stick with something along the lines of the team and formation that have won 10 and drawn 3 of their last 13 league games. Try dragging that suggestion out over half a page though.

Don't be so ridiculous... that's MADNESS..... Your crazy my friend  

"They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old, Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn, At the going down of the sun, and in the morning, We WILL remember them"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 17
Garth
March 5, 2012, 7:10pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,936
Gold Stars: 27

Your daft as a bat to even suggest sticking with a successful team
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 17
80sglory
March 5, 2012, 7:32pm
Guest User

If people think we've got a better chance sticking with what's already worked then fair enough, I can completely understand that view.
I wouldn't keep the same personnel but I'd probably go 4-4-2 myself.  

Quoted from 1054
eh?  3 points?  a game of football? Our momentum towarsd the playoffs? 8th spot?  anyone would think that we are playing the unbeaten Arsenal side from a few seasons ago, not a team that are at the top of the conference playing in front of 1500 home supporters!

I mean if we do lose away to the top of the table it's not the end of the world for our playoff chances.

But what are you saying RBOH ?
If we don't play the stongest team (in your opinion) we can't win ?
If we don't win you'll be moaning again ?
Who do you think I am, Rob Scott ?  

At the end of the day it doesn't matter what I think - the managers pick the team and the players play.
I just hope they do what they think is best for GTFC regardless of who's gonna moan at them or their team selections later.

Quoted from Biccys

Nor am I Biccys, not by a long chalk !
I'm missing out the midfield almost completely for an extra defender. Dodgy ? You bet !  

Understand your "not against Fleetwood" comment because they're a very good team.
Everyone has their own view but my own thinking is if you're gonna take any chances or mix things up this is probably the time to do it.

Tbh suppose I AM thinking we'll probably lose even if we play our best team - not saying we can't win (of course we can), but it won't be easy and that's what the bookies are saying.
If that's negative then so be it, but at least I've mentioned all the other positives we could take if we switch things round a bit regardless of the final result

Quoted from Biccys

Macca

Disley

Elding        Hearn

Yep, I can definitely see the sense of doing that and solidifying the midfield.
Good one, I like it.  

Would we play it ?
Who'd be a football manager eh ?  
Reply: 16 - 17
cleefish
March 5, 2012, 7:57pm
L:incoln
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +10 / -4
Approval: +6
Quoted from Biccys

Macca

Disley

Elding        Hearn

A good choice but I would replace Disley with Thanoj  as in my book he is better on the ball.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 17
2 Pages Prev 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › TEAM V FLEETWOOD

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.