psgmariner
February 7, 2012, 12:04pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.69
Rep Score: +39 / -15
Approval: +5,480
Gold Stars: 33
http://www.wsc.co.uk/content/view/8251/38/

Shame as York is a great away day. Getting a shuttle bus to an out of town 6000 all seater doesn't sound quite so appealing. I'm sure the number of away fans they get would go down.

Private Message
WOZOFGRIMSBY
February 7, 2012, 12:17pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +9,079
Gold Stars: 195
http://www.astadiumforyork.com/

saying that, away fans have increased for the scunts. now they realise they DONT have to visit the sh1tehole

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 18
Paris Mariner
February 7, 2012, 12:48pm
www.theliquidfootballblog.wordpress.com
Main Stander
Posts Per Day: 0.53
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +809
Quoted from psgmariner
http://www.wsc.co.uk/content/view/8251/38/

Shame as York is a great away day. Getting a shuttle bus to an out of town 6000 all seater doesn't sound quite so appealing. I'm sure the number of away fans they get would go down.

I read this article last week and, in some ways, I found it rather narrow minded and short sighted. Yes, it is a shame that the ground will not be in the city centre but I think York fans should have more intelligence and acknowledge the fact that football grounds need to be businesses for a full working week today and not just on match days.

Old Trafford was once on the outskirts of Manchester and I'm sure it's the same for many other old grounds which have now been engulfed by their respective towns and cities, and will eventually be the case for York. I'm sure if they get the shuttle buses right people will still be able have their day out in York going round the pubs and old city etc. I don't know if you ever when to Stade route de Lorient (Rennes)? but they have a great shuttle bus system there.

Add to this that, in recent years, the only new grounds that spring to mind that have had a negative impact on crowds and clubs fortunes for me have been the Ricoh Arena, Coventry, and the Darlington Arena and the problems have been as much related to off-field problems as unsuitable stadia. Shrewsbury, Brighton, Hull, Telford United etc have all recently moved grounds and seen a rise in attendances. How many of these grounds lie in the town or city centre?

Finally, Bootham Crescent is an absolute dive.

bilbaogroundguide.wordpress.com
ingoldale.tumblr.com Football and gig ticket blog
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 2 - 18
marinerian
February 7, 2012, 12:52pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Rep Score: +33 / -16
Approval: +15
I still think our new ground should be built in Mingshire  

UP THE MARINERS
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 18
psgmariner
February 7, 2012, 1:00pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Rep Score: +39 / -15
Approval: +5,480
Gold Stars: 33
Quoted from Paris Mariner

I read this article last week and, in some ways, I found it rather narrow minded and short sighted. Yes, it is a shame that the ground will not be in the city centre but I think York fans should have more intelligence and acknowledge the fact that football grounds need to be businesses for a full working week today and not just on match days.

Old Trafford was once on the outskirts of Manchester and I'm sure it's the same for many other old grounds which have now been engulfed by their respective towns and cities, and will eventually be the case for York. I'm sure if they get the shuttle buses right people will still be able have their day out in York going round the pubs and old city etc. I don't know if you ever when to Stade route de Lorient (Rennes)? but they have a great shuttle bus system there.

Add to this that, in recent years, the only new grounds that spring to mind that have had a negative impact on crowds and clubs fortunes for me have been the Ricoh Arena, Coventry, and the Darlington Arena and the problems have been as much related to off-field problems as unsuitable stadia. Shrewsbury, Brighton, Hull, Telford United etc have all recently moved grounds and seen a rise in attendances. How many of these grounds lie in the town or city centre?

Finally, Bootham Crescent is an absolute dive.

Never been to the Rennes ground. If it is next to a motorway then think I have driven past it on the way to Brittany though.

Personally I liked the Bootham Crescent experience. The ground was pretty run down but with sooooo many decent pubs within walking distance I wasn't bothered. A great, tidy little ground on an industrial estate is not as appealing as a run down ground in the centre of a great city.

Money talks though and as you say it if makes financial sense to move then just about every one will do it soon.

Private Message
Reply: 4 - 18
Paris Mariner
February 7, 2012, 1:05pm
www.theliquidfootballblog.wordpress.com
Main Stander
Posts Per Day: 0.53
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +809
Quoted from psgmariner

Never been to the Rennes ground. If it is next to a motorway then think I have driven past it on the way to Brittany though.

Personally I liked the Bootham Crescent experience. The ground was pretty run down but with sooooo many decent pubs within walking distance I wasn't bothered. A great, tidy little ground on an industrial estate is not as appealing as a run down ground in the centre of a great city.

Money talks though and as you say it if makes financial sense to move then just about every one will do it soon.

I agree that the pub factor makes York a particularly good awayday but you could still enjoy that experience in York if they did the new ground and arrangements well.

I like WSC and tend agree that most new grounds lack 'character' but new ideas to give grounds just that a consistently put down by them. I remember the new trend for statues of club greats recently being criticised by them, for example. Clubs need to come up with things in the style of the Wembley arch, transferring the old gates from Ayresome PArk to the Riverside etc and spending a little more on these details to make the fans happy. Or, in non-league having a good supporters club at the ground like at Eastbourne and Fleetwood.

bilbaogroundguide.wordpress.com
ingoldale.tumblr.com Football and gig ticket blog
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 5 - 18
WOZOFGRIMSBY
February 7, 2012, 1:12pm

Barley Wine Drinker
its worked wonders for forest green. well, for the football club and the community in fact. they have a very decent ground, and a supporters bar/club.

Rose is on fire

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 18
ticker_1610
February 7, 2012, 1:16pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.59
Rep Score: +32 / -6
Pity we can't get grants like Tottingham have 28 million worth to regenerate a run down area with the building of a new stadium. Wouldn't regenerating the docks or freeman street bring in government grants n local authority cash. However our council keeps piddling about with fanciful regen plans for freemo that just don't materialise or after 10 years they realise they've wasted the money and look again to regenerate a run down freemo!! Fk the freemen off n smash down all the dilapidated buildings and build a stadium retail park and Market with restaurants n bars!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 18
marinerian
February 7, 2012, 1:39pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Rep Score: +33 / -16
Approval: +15
Quoted from ticker_1610
Pity we can't get grants like Tottingham have 28 million worth to regenerate a run down area with the building of a new stadium. Wouldn't regenerating the docks or freeman street bring in government grants n local authority cash. However our council keeps piddling about with fanciful regen plans for freemo that just don't materialise or after 10 years they realise they've wasted the money and look again to regenerate a run down freemo!! Fk the freemen off n smash down all the dilapidated buildings and build a stadium retail park and Market with restaurants n bars!

Knock down East Marsh and build it there, then you are not far from Town, ample parking and A180 in very easy reach.

To be fair there are several areas that could do with regenerating so Either West Marsh or East Marsh would be fine.

UP THE MARINERS
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 18
WOZOFGRIMSBY
February 7, 2012, 1:52pm

Barley Wine Drinker
i cant see it happening to freemo. the transport infrastructure would have to be significantly changed.

west marsh, leading just off the a 180, and with the railway line already there would be the sensible option. or would it be more over moody lane way? not lived back home for 14 years now, so not sure what is and isnt there.

has anyone thought about great coates ??????

Rose is on fire

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 18
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Good article on new York ground

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.