3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
chaos33
January 8, 2012, 9:59am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +18,017
Gold Stars: 362
Except to say that "Alfreton got us to play long ball which suited them", can't actually be a true statement can it. Alfreton let in 5 goals, and it really could easily have been 7 or 8. Their tactics, such as they were, played into Hearn's hands, costs them 5 goals and lost them the game.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 26
ticker_1610
January 8, 2012, 10:37am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.59
Rep Score: +32 / -6
I would accept 2-5 wins away every away game n not play pretty football in this division. We got our tactics spot on. Other teams have thrown away leads at Alfreton n come away with nowt. The midfield was packed today very little room to play any football by either side. 2nd half with town dropping deep Alfreton played the ball forward from
Midfield out wide n bombarded a defence that would have crumbled previously. 3 points gained away, thank you very much. The better football should return when we face teams less physical and a longer pitch!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 26
tanga_the_indestructible
January 8, 2012, 10:47am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +655
Gold Stars: 5
And their first goal should have been our free kick.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 26
ticker_1610
January 8, 2012, 10:55am
Whiskey Drinker
I thought their second was going to be disallowed for the blatant push on Townsend which gave the scorer a free header! But thats conference footy!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 26
Youngy
January 8, 2012, 11:01am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.22
Rep Score: +14 / -3
Approval: +1,677
Gold Stars: 9
Just watched the highlights, to say the 1st and 3rd goals came from 'long balls' is harsh. Towsends assist to Hearn was a pin point cross and Thanojs pass was  superb planned through ball which split the deference, it wasn't like it was hit and hope
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 26
ticker_1610
January 8, 2012, 11:11am
Whiskey Drinker
When is a good pass a long ball? Both passes were excellent balls played into our players paths! No hoofball at all. In poor conditions n a pitch that cut up pretty bad in places!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 26
marinette
January 8, 2012, 11:20am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +38 / -4
Approval: +320
Gold Stars: 3
I'm interested in the mention of Nathan Arnold, because I think we might have had him on trial one pre-season, (was it when Mike Newell was here?) and people generally liked the look of him, but we didn't keep him on.  The name rings a bell because when he was with us I kept wanting to call him Matthew Arnold, after the poet, and strangely enough John Cockerill was making the same mistake during the commentary yesterday.

I'd be interested to know if the Town fans who saw him yesterday thought we were right to let him go when we did, and what Alfreton fans think of him in general.

Private Message
Reply: 16 - 26
ticker_1610
January 8, 2012, 11:26am
Whiskey Drinker
He was on trial for a good time with us, saw him play in the Devon tournament and friendlies. He looked good then a pacy player and could finish. Very surprised we didn't take him on at the time. At BP he didn't show much at all n was anonymous, yesterday on their shorter pitch he had a very good game n impressed as did their No15 and No 7 in CM.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 26
Paris Mariner
January 8, 2012, 11:27am
www.theliquidfootballblog.wordpress.com
Main Stander
Posts Per Day: 0.53
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +809
I thought that it was a below avergae performance overall yesterday (bearing in mind the recent ones) but we won. That is the be all and end all of it. I thought Artus, Disley and Coulo let us down in the second half and lost their midfield battles which saw the back four bombarded. Thanoj was exemplary. We were just clinical with our finishing and Alfreton paid the price.

Coulo highlighted why I  find him so frustrating - he is either quality or nion non-existent. Even though he scored yesterday he contirbuted little else. I was glad Duffy scored because it shows we've got goals coming from other sources should the worst hapen and Hearn get injured etc.

bilbaogroundguide.wordpress.com
ingoldale.tumblr.com Football and gig ticket blog
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 18 - 26
ticker_1610
January 8, 2012, 11:35am
Whiskey Drinker
TBH I originally thought Coulson had his usual Tidal game, he drifts in n out! Then on recap he spent a lot of time supporting Silk at RB. This took away his attacking edge, Coulo made several tackles in our area in the second half. Even though Silk hasn't played in a while he's not that convincing and by Golly we miss Brads getting forard. Townsend got forward regularly n nearly scored playing 1-2 with Liam. We play our best football when we get a bit of space and our LB n RB get forward, n that isn't part of Silks game! I hope he plays better Tuesday as we cant afford to nullify our own right side attacking play!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 26
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › A neutral's view

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.