This thread currently has 1,665 views. Print
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
Les Brechin
December 1, 2011, 1:04pm

Posts Per Day: 4.16
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,736
Gold Stars: 174
As I'm sure most of you are aware I have been actively raising funds for Brain Tumour UK since 2008 after I was diagnosed with one. Up to now I (with the help of others) have raised almost £13,000 (as per my signature) and I'm always thinking of fundraising ideas.

What I am thinking about doing next year is visiting all 92 Football League Clubs, collecting some sort of memorabilia at each one (preferably signed) and then auctioning them off on Ebay afterwards. I'm hoping to recruit 2 or 3 others who would be interested in coming along and would be looking for a local firm to sponsor the hire of a camper van, petrol costs etc.

I'm thinking of doing it around April/May time next year over 10 days (Friday to Sunday week) so only 1 week off work would be needed. I have looked into it a bit on the net and found 4 Watford fans who did something similar last season and have listed their route which I could easily adapt to suit leaving from Grimsby.

I am planning on draughting up an email to send to all clubs informing them of what I plan to do. I was just wondering if anyone has done anything similar or has any tips, advice etc as to what I should take into consideration.

As I say this is only a tentative thought at the moment but intend to start planning it in more detail after Christmas.

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Online
Private Message
crusty ole pie
December 1, 2011, 1:22pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.54
Rep Score: +16 / -1
Approval: +3,422
Gold Stars: 66
Les why not try to make it original and add the conference teams to the list may add a day or two to route but would be different to what the Watford lads did
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 17
VictorMeldrewsDad
December 1, 2011, 5:06pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +11 / 0
Fiver a go guess the total milage. Winner takes all nothing except the Fishy milage guessing title. Could raise a few quid.

I will never forget where I was the day Kennedy was stabbed.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 17
Dan
December 1, 2011, 5:35pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +36 / -17
Approval: +551
I guess there's no need to start from Grimsby if you're only visiting league clubs

Quoted from John Fenty, April 2013
I deconstructed the flag to the point where it was safe and couldn’t be considered a danger
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 17
Les Brechin
December 1, 2011, 5:44pm

Posts Per Day: 4.16
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,736
Gold Stars: 174
Quoted from VictorMeldrewsDad
Fiver a go guess the total milage. Winner takes all nothing except the Fishy milage guessing title. Could raise a few quid.

I like it!

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 17
Brazilnut
December 1, 2011, 9:32pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +979
Gold Stars: 30
why not approach a couple of rail companys or Network Rail and see if they would donate a couple of  week rovers and do it by train ....would cut down cost's enable sleep (beer ) inbetween differant cities so less b and b's needed   .....could still do the rail mileage guess game .........then use forums to see if local fans would act as taxi's between station /grounds.......not sure but with working it out you might be able to do scotlands grounds as well in a week .....now that would be some thing differant

<*(((><

Town have given me some of my highest highs and my lowest lows ........ God it is like a marriage
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 17
Simariner
December 1, 2011, 9:42pm

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.46
Rep Score: +29 / -4
Approval: +505
As a mentioned last night to you Les, write the whole experience down with the guys with you and get an author to do a book about the whole trip.

If you want me to touch base with my mates hire company let me know.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 6 - 17
siy2k5
December 1, 2011, 9:44pm
Bite me!
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.86
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: -2
If you need a driver Les, I'd be interested mate

Quoted from marinerian
If Newport win it b4 heir vist to BP, I will sit in The Osmond dressed as Little Bo-Peep for the match against them!  

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 17
barralad
December 1, 2011, 10:12pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.31
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,301
Gold Stars: 127
Quoted from Brazilnut
why not approach a couple of rail companys or Network Rail and see if they would donate a couple of  week rovers and do it by train ....would cut down cost's enable sleep (beer ) inbetween differant cities so less b and b's needed   .....could still do the rail mileage guess game .........then use forums to see if local fans would act as taxi's between station /grounds.......not sure but with working it out you might be able to do scotlands grounds as well in a week .....now that would be some thing differant

I actually looked very seriously into doing this a couple of seasons ago. At the time the rail companies weren't forthcoming. I designed three different routes but I can assure you that it is no easy thing by public transport. It's fine in the big conurbations but places like Norfolk, Cumbria, North East and the South West were truly problematic.

However if anyone is up for it I'd definitely give it another try!!

Les: You have a P.M.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 17
GtfcGarner
December 1, 2011, 11:09pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.43
Rep Score: +30 / -14
Approval: +1,833
Gold Stars: 31
I would be interested in coming if we raised money for it mate.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 17
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Tentative thoughts on my next fundraiser

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.