Users Browsing Forum
Googlebot and 96 Guests

Rams fan in Peace

This thread currently has 5,168 views. Print
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
September 26, 2011, 9:41pm
Guest User
Quoted from Rams62

I wish I could get him to have a plan b) m8, but he has no interest in school work; football, golf and girls. That's about it.

Me too apart from golf! lol
Reply: 30 - 49
Rams62
September 26, 2011, 9:49pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.00
Thank you to everyone for your advice and inside info.
We wrote to Burnley & Bolton - no response.
We took him to football cv trials at Sheff Utd and Man City last season. Me and his mum try not to view him with rose-tinted specs.In fact I am probably his harshest critic, however, he played in the under 15s last season and my honest opinion is he could have done the under 18s game as well and nobody would have known the difference.
We got interest from Sheff Weds, Leeds Utd., Barnsley, Huddersfield, Grimsby and Stalybridge Celtic.
He has trials coming up at Preston NE and Doncaster Rovers, plus I hope a week's trial at a Midlands club at half term.
I think (I hope) he can get an apprenticeship. I think he will progress rapidly with the right mentor to take him under his wing.I've noticed at school he responds better to male teachers; responds better to me than his mother too.He is 6' 2" tall and still growing; lean, good muscles and very agile.Catching crosses, punching, shot - stopping and one on one situations are his strong areas. Foot work and goal kicks need improvement.
Whatever.
Grimsby need to get back to the league. You must be the biggest club in the conference, surely?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 49
Abdul19
September 26, 2011, 10:08pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.40
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,629
Gold Stars: 220
Apart from Luton, I'd agree with that. Counts for very little though.

All the best whatever your lad does.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 49
RichMariner
September 27, 2011, 12:58am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,171
Gold Stars: 212
I believe we 'blooded' young Andy Pettinger in the 2003/4 season when Aidan Davison got injured/suspended and before we brought in that keeper from Hull (I forget his name now... he did well - Northern Irish bloke).

I thought Pettinger looked perfectly at home in goal for Town's first team after waiting a little while to get his chance. I don't believe he put a foot wrong but like most managers say, it wasn't the right time to be playing a youngster, i.e. in a losing team that was struggling against relegation.

We've had a few youth keepers given the odd chance in pre-season friendlies only to never see them again.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 33 - 49
oldun
September 27, 2011, 9:42am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +57 / -5
Approval: +3,475
It is a tough route for keepers, limited opportunities, many teams at lower levels do not even have a keeper on the bench now. I think the youth and goalkeeping coaches at GTFC are pretty good and the youth team has performed well in recent times. Despite this first team opportunites are restricted and the club cannot afford to give young players a contract if they are not going to perfom in the first team. Down to funds as so many decisions are I am afraid. Good luck to your lad though but he really needs to think of a plan B
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 49
moosey_club
September 27, 2011, 9:54am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,334
Gold Stars: 229
Quoted from Rams62
Thank you to everyone for your advice and inside info.
We wrote to Burnley & Bolton - no response.
We took him to football cv trials at Sheff Utd and Man City last season. Me and his mum try not to view him with rose-tinted specs.In fact I am probably his harshest critic, however, he played in the under 15s last season and my honest opinion is he could have done the under 18s game as well and nobody would have known the difference.
We got interest from Sheff Weds, Leeds Utd., Barnsley, Huddersfield, Grimsby and Stalybridge Celtic.
He has trials coming up at Preston NE and Doncaster Rovers, plus I hope a week's trial at a Midlands club at half term.
I think (I hope) he can get an apprenticeship. I think he will progress rapidly with the right mentor to take him under his wing.I've noticed at school he responds better to male teachers; responds better to me than his mother too.He is 6' 2" tall and still growing; lean, good muscles and very agile.Catching crosses, punching, shot - stopping and one on one situations are his strong areas. Foot work and goal kicks need improvement.
Whatever.
Grimsby need to get back to the league. You must be the biggest club in the conference, surely?

Is he single?  

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 49
Biccys
September 27, 2011, 11:43am
Posts Per Day: 2.03
Rep Score: +55 / -22
Approval: +1,226
Gold Stars: 27
Quoted from moosey_club

Is he single?  

LOL!!!, No, but he IS 15....  

@biccysthefishy

£110,105

[url]https://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/causes/mariners-trust/[/url]
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 36 - 49
moosey_club
September 27, 2011, 12:23pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Biccys

i was asking for my niece  

2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 49
ginnywings
September 27, 2011, 12:28pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.01
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,153
Gold Stars: 548
My view is that if he is good eniough,he will come to the fore wherever he ends up and he could do a lot worse than come here.We have a very good youth team who seem to always go far in the youth competitions and won the thing not that long back.I assume youth games are scouted vigourously,so potential stars will be spotted.

A few people have commented that we don't have many players coming through from youth level but you could say that about any team.Very very few make it to pro and i believe we are second only to Leicester in producing players that go on to have a pro career,so i wouldn't be too hasty in dismissing our club.

Good luck to the lad wherever he goes.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 49
moosey_club
September 27, 2011, 12:36pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Biccys

actually........so your protest is on grounds of age not gender......15 being too high or too low? Growing tired of that closet Biccys?  

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 49
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Rams fan in Peace

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.