Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Surprised?
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 84 Guests

Surprised?

This thread currently has 1,632 views. Print
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
thebigeasy
September 20, 2011, 12:40pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +14 / -2
Approval: +0
Ok, so the announcement yesterday caught most people off balance, but was it really that unexpected?

MP's resignation from the board followed by an increase in his shareholding has raised many eyebrows, and left many asking questions about his motives. Obviously there have been difficulties in the relationship between MP and the rest of the board, and these seem to have come to a head recently - but why?

I think the answer lies in the increasing speed in the decline in the clubs finances - recent "outbursts" by club officials and recent decisions relating to playing staff, point directly to significant tensions and funding issues. Whatever your views on what the future holds, it has been a bad start to the season, and H&S's record so far is very poor, at an average of just over 1 point per game. The collapse in attendances at the end of last season which left the club struggling to cover the costs of staging a home game translated into poor season ticket sales, which, by my estimates, left the club some £150k "short" over the close season.

The falling attendances this season will undoubtedly be increasing the pressure - resulting in the finances since the end of last season becoming good deal worse. I would expect that has left JF with a huge problem – he/the board are presiding over a continuing decline and someone is going to have to pay the (increasing) price. It would seem reasonable that MP should shoulder some of that pain, but then why should he, as he is unable to influence the way the club is run due to the voting arrangements of the board - the result is an impasse!

It seems to me that the review by Take Over Panel has provide JF a good excuse to quit and to try and force the whole issue. I think there is undoubtedly "posturing" on both sides.

The truth is the club has been badly run for years and despite JF pumping in more money in to pay for his mistakes, there had to be a point when these would cease. The clubs continuing decline is now really hitting home hard as the income streams dry up. I suspect that they (the board) believed the funding for this season was in place, but due to the bad start to the season and the relentless decline, they have underestimated the impact of another poor season on the funding for this year - hence the comments "we have enough funds until the end of this year".

Unless something is done to change things from top to bottom and bring about a change in the clubs fortunes, I think it is highly likely that we are about to join Bradford Park Avenue, Halifax, Workington et al. I'm sure JF believes he has done his best, but the truth is that his efforts have been nowhere near what is needed to run the club, and he has been unable to find a way to stop the rot.

I have believed for years that a wholesale change was needed at the top to get this club back to where it was under Bill Carr. I can only hope that change is about to begin - however messy it may be.

Logged Offline
Private Message
GrimRob
September 20, 2011, 12:57pm

Posts Per Day: 2.11
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,450
Gold Stars: 115
The club will never get back to where it was when Bill Carr was in charge because everything has changed since that time. In Bill Carr's day we used to sell a player for a million quid or more every couple of years to pay the bills. Bosman changed everything I'm afraid.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 1 - 10
tarka
September 20, 2011, 1:10pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +8 / -2
Approval: +895
Gold Stars: 29
Quoted from GrimRob
The club will never get back to where it was when Bill Carr was in charge because everything has changed since that time. In Bill Carr's day we used to sell a player for a million quid or more every couple of years to pay the bills. Bosman changed everything I'm afraid.

Excellent point Rob, especially if you add that the advent of the Premiership has resulted in foreigners clamouring to ply their trade over here resulting in even less cash filtering down the leagues.
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 2 - 10
thebigeasy
September 20, 2011, 1:16pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +14 / -2
Approval: +0
Quoted Text

So it might be harder but it is still possible - You seem to forget we have sold 2 players recently and made a few quid.

There is no doubt the Premiership and Sky have a lot to answer for - and so have the so called fans of smaller clubs who continue to bankroll the decline through their Sky subs - but with the right leadership and backing there is no reason why this club cannot find its way back to League 1.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 10
FishOutOfWater
September 20, 2011, 1:28pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.14
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,578
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from GrimRob

Never say never....I bet John Ryan didn't heed this too much when he was behind the resurrection of Doncaster
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 4 - 10
ROKERITE
September 20, 2011, 1:35pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +13 / -3
Approval: +425
Gold Stars: 5
Quoted from thebigeasy

So it might be harder but it is still possible - You seem to forget we have sold 2 players recently and made a few quid.

There is no doubt the Premiership and Sky have a lot to answer for - and so have the so called fans of smaller clubs who continue to bankroll the decline through their Sky subs - but with the right leadership and backing there is no reason why this club cannot find its way back to League 1.

Absolutely, I was very optimistic about Grimsby Town's future and fully expected H&S to have them back at League One level, until yesterday. Now there's a worrying question mark over the club. With John Fenty as Chairman and H&S as Managers the future looked decidedly bright, providing the cash didn't dry up. That last 5% that Mr Parker owns is the rub.
Regarding Sky, it isn't the supporters of "smaller clubs" having the Sky package that is the problem; it's the millions in small towns who "support" manu, etc. and wouldn't dream of watching their home town club who should be held in contempt.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 10
upthestripes
September 20, 2011, 3:30pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.39
Rep Score: +68 / -8
Approval: +7
Quoted from ROKERITE

Absolutely, I was very optimistic about Grimsby Town's future and fully expected H&S to have them back at League One level, until yesterday. Now there's a worrying question mark over the club. With John Fenty as Chairman and H&S as Managers the future looked decidedly bright, providing the cash didn't dry up. That last 5% that Mr Parker owns is the rub.
Regarding Sky, it isn't the supporters of "smaller clubs" having the Sky package that is the problem; it's the millions in small towns who "support" manu, etc. and wouldn't dream of watching their home town club who should be held in contempt.

And largely are I think!

[img]http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb71/levite_photo/town/2959063.jpg[/img]

Hitman Hearn - BP Gangsta
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 10
STB
September 20, 2011, 4:00pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.70
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Quoted from ROKERITE

. . . and wouldn't dream of watching their home town club who should be held in contempt.

I'm not going to BP tonight but I'll take a look at Cleethorpes Town V Skegness Town at Bradley.
Both my boys play for Clee town and Cleethorpes is my birth town.
You can hold me in contempt if you want though.  

Former lover of all things GTFC . . .
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 10
wigworld
September 20, 2011, 4:10pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.58
Rep Score: +32 / -3
Approval: +2,080
Gold Stars: 29
Quoted from STB

You can hold me in contempt if you want though.  

Cleethorpes Town? Glory supporter!

Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 8 - 10
80sglory
September 20, 2011, 4:38pm
Guest User
Excellent post thebigeasy, sums up everything very well IMO.

Quoted from thebigeasy
The clubs continuing decline is now really hitting home hard as the income streams dry up. I suspect that they (the board) believed the funding for this season was in place, but due to the bad start to the season and the relentless decline, they have underestimated the impact of another poor season on the funding for this year - hence the comments "we have enough funds until the end of this year".

Is that another way of saying they've been budgeting for success ?

I understand there has been under pressure - pressure to "bounce back" and provide a competitive budget to do it.

But why have we overstretched so much with financial problems arising after Xmas ?
Is it simply falling attendances - but they're not so diferent to last season ?
Or something else we're not aware of ?

Confused...
Reply: 9 - 10
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Surprised?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.