Charity Skydive

This thread currently has 465 views. Print
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
dangtfc1
September 13, 2011, 9:35am

Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Approval: +4
Alright lads - long time lurker, infrequent poster here!

On Saturday I'm doing a charity skydive near Bridlington for Dove House Hospice. For those that don't know, Dove House is a local charity that cares for people with terminal illnesses, making their lives more comfortable and providing support for the families of people in their care.

I will (naturally) be jumping in a Town shirt, the question is whether to go with my trusty Donovan 7 shirt from the 98/99 season or the 11/12 shirt with Pouton 26 (still living on the past) on the back?

I only signed up to do the jump at a relatively late stage (3 or 4 weeks ago) so raising a lot of sponsorship in this time has been difficult. I've asked friends and colleagues to donate and have got just short of £300 so far. I don't really have a much wider circle of contacts I could ask for sponsorship, but I thought about it and The Fishy is the only other avenue I could think of!! I'd love to break past the £400 barrier and to reach £500 would be fantastic. My sponsorship page will be open for a couple of weeks after the jump too.

It doesn't matter whether it's £1, £5 or £20, any sponsorship at all is wholeheartedly appreciated!

Finally, has anyone else done a skydive before? I wouldn't say I'm bricking it but I'm pretty nervous, I suppose more of a kind of excitable anxiety (like pre-match butterflies before a big game).

Has anyone got any tips or things I should try doing to get more out of the experience? I'm not planning on doing another one anytime soon!!

The link is:

http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/DanGent

Thanks and UTM
Dan
Logged Offline
Private Message
Simariner
September 14, 2011, 8:39pm

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.46
Rep Score: +29 / -4
Approval: +505
Dan,
I did a charity skydive event with a few town fans for Les Bechins Charity.

My experience was fantastic. But I was really crapping myself when in the plane on the way up. (you don't realise how far up you are jumping out from)

The moment of hanging out of the plane was my worst moment in my life as I honestly thought I was going to die (haha) I nearly passed out. But after the jump I free falled for 15 seconds (seems minutes) it was the best feeling  ever.
Not sure if I'll do it again but do make sure you get a DVD of your jump. A camera man jumps out with you and films everything. Well worth the extra few quid.

Good luck mate.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 1 - 4
topuphere666
September 14, 2011, 9:10pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.19
Rep Score: +24 / -7
Approval: +1,843
Gold Stars: 3
Good Luck with the jump matey!!

Make sure you stick a little camera somewhere on your body and show us the video!!
Something I have always wanted to do, but unfortunately my balderdash arent big enough to fulfill my urge!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 4
dangtfc1
September 15, 2011, 9:45am

Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Approval: +4
Thanks lads! I'm not going to lie Si, I have already researched the odds of me dying! 1 in 120,000 apparently, roughly the same odds as Town ever getting to the Premiership. I work away quite a lot so spend a lot of time flying, and on a flight last week the pilot came on and said we were just at 10,000 feet....I looked out the window and shat myself.

I think there will be pictures and videos available to buy, so I'll maybe do that, but topuphere's suggestion of putting a camera somewhere on my body is a good one, I'll see what I can do with it!

I hope the weather is spot on, in some ways the biggest disappointment would be if they told me it was cancelled due to rain or wind, cause I've already mentally prepared for it...I think?!?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 4
zorro_is_a_Mariner
September 15, 2011, 12:22pm

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.59
Rep Score: +30 / -6
Approval: +1,369
Gold Stars: 4
Quoted from dangtfc1
Thanks lads! I'm not going to lie Si, I have already researched the odds of me dying! 1 in 120,000 apparently, roughly the same odds as Town ever getting to the Premiership. I work away quite a lot so spend a lot of time flying, and on a flight last week the pilot came on and said we were just at 10,000 feet....I looked out the window and shat myself.

I think there will be pictures and videos available to buy, so I'll maybe do that, but topuphere's suggestion of putting a camera somewhere on my body is a good one, I'll see what I can do with it!

I hope the weather is spot on, in some ways the biggest disappointment would be if they told me it was cancelled due to rain or wind, cause I've already mentally prepared for it...I think?!?

Rather you than me mate good luck.

Gtfc all the way
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 4
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Charity Skydive

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.