3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Laceby Andy
August 15, 2011, 10:20am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +2
Quoted from 1600

Know exactly what you mean Pete, but is it because of personnel or tactics ?

I feel Disley could be that playmaker if he'd only risk going forward and stop playing it safe all the time.

That's why I might play Disley in front of Church in a 3 man midfield.
I just wish the managers would have a quiet word with Dizza and stop this increasngly annoying habit of always going backwards cos I thought he had an opportunity to thread a few early balls forward on Saturday.

Players have got to stop being frightened of giving the ball away(especially when we go back then hoof it forward !).

I'd rather give more credit to someone like Artus who is willing to play that killer ball even if it only comes off 30% of the time.

Forget those who can't recognise risk and are gonna whinge at every misplaced pass - we can safely pass it across the back and midfield all day long(like we did under Woods) but it won't do anything to hurt the opposition.
I say let's be willing to risk playing that early ball that's gonna put us on the frontfoot and open up defences...  

(PS Think Thanoj and Artus can be playmakers too but obviously you need as many "all round" traits as possible to earn a starting place.)

Good post and i agree we need to risk an early pass or be a little more possitive to create more in front of goal. I also aree disley could be more forward thinking like he was against Lincoln. He looks a good player. Maybe this is where the managers need to give the confidance to the players to risk a little.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 24
carrot top
August 15, 2011, 10:29am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.34
Rep Score: +22 / -1
Approval: +817
Gold Stars: 2
Fleetwood didn't give our midfield time on the ball. They seemed to be first to everything. Our distribution when we did get it was poor to say the least.
Can someone also tell me what contribution Coulson made on Saturday. I thought he was poor, never mind Elding. Having said that we will not get a much tougher game this season. I can see why they are favourites

[color=black]The Ecky 1977
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 24
Biccys
August 15, 2011, 10:51am
Posts Per Day: 2.03
Rep Score: +55 / -22
Approval: +1,226
Gold Stars: 27
Good, it's not just me that thought Coulosn was quiet. Perhaps they had him down as a dangerman (rightly so) and had him closeley marked. I still maintain the midfield were too similar and too lightweight for that game. I'm not sure BW is the answer in there but have reservations about Church's ability other than to run around a lot, snapping at heels. A tad worrying...

Perhaps 4-3-3 is the way forward?

Mckeown

Wood   Garner/Kempson   I'Anson   Ridley

Disley Church Makofo/Eagle/Artus

Coulson  Elding/Spencer  Hearn

Still looks very powder puff in the central midfield. Artus didn't work well alongside Disley in pre-season IIRC and none of the 3 I've picked on the left of that midifield trio are what could be described as combative! Concerned about the ability to "fight" in the side now....!

@biccysthefishy

£110,105

[url]https://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/causes/mariners-trust/[/url]
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 12 - 24
sam gy
August 15, 2011, 11:00am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.33
Rep Score: +18 / -3
Approval: +5,481
Gold Stars: 56
Elding didn't manage to get in the game much at all, but it's not his fault. Don't know why people are writing him off as lazy/lethargic, I seem to remember him chasing the ball down a hell of a lot when their defence/keepers had the ball.

[img]https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xla1/v/t1.0-9/12039761_10156639571185103_2884197968019429473_n.jpg?oh=184cac2706832a1b1dd4d6a0420a6f87&oe=574C5F4F[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 24
ginnywings
August 15, 2011, 12:36pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.01
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,153
Gold Stars: 548
Elding i think suffers from being a big unit.Some people see him as a target man and he isn't.He's a finisher as his record shows and has goals in him if he gets the service.

We had neither a creative midfielder or a natural winger in the side and that's worrying i think.We have a general lack of pace in the team from what i can see and the pre season games coupled with the league opener have left me totally underwhelmed.I'm desperately hoping that Fleetwood are this seasons Crawley and we just came up against the leagues best side,with easier games to come,or more hopeful that we just had a bad start and things will come good as the season progresses.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 24
siy2k5
August 15, 2011, 12:45pm
Bite me!
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.86
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: -2
Far too early to judge Elding yet. At least let him get fully match fit before we write him off eh?

Quoted from marinerian
If Newport win it b4 heir vist to BP, I will sit in The Osmond dressed as Little Bo-Peep for the match against them!  

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 24
80sglory
August 15, 2011, 1:46pm
Guest User
Quoted from Biccys
Good, it's not just me that thought Coulosn was quiet. Perhaps they had him down as a dangerman (rightly so) and had him closeley marked. I still maintain the midfield were too similar and too lightweight for that game. I'm not sure BW is the answer in there but have reservations about Church's ability other than to run around a lot, snapping at heels. A tad worrying...

Perhaps 4-3-3 is the way forward?

Mckeown

Wood   Garner/Kempson   I'Anson   Ridley

Disley Church Makofo/Eagle/Artus

Coulson  Elding/Spencer  Hearn

Still looks very powder puff in the central midfield. Artus didn't work well alongside Disley in pre-season IIRC and none of the 3 I've picked on the left of that midifield trio are what could be described as combative! Concerned about the ability to "fight" in the side now....!

Good analysis Biccys - I share your concerns.
I suppose at least 3 in midfield is better than 2.
Reply: 16 - 24
biggles9999
August 15, 2011, 1:58pm
Main Stander
Posts Per Day: 0.51
Rep Score: +24 / -12
Approval: +367
Quoted from Biccys
Good, it's not just me that thought Coulosn was quiet. Perhaps they had him down as a dangerman (rightly so) and had him closeley marked.

I did say to friends at the game on Saturday that Fleetwood seemed to have picked out Coulson as the dangerman. My only evidence for this is that their left winger was wearing no3.

I know these days squad numbers dont mean much but very few wingers would request to wear number 3. Leads me to believe that Fleetwood actually played with 2 regular left backs on that side of the pitch.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 24
Biccys
August 15, 2011, 2:09pm
Posts Per Day: 2.03
Rep Score: +55 / -22
Approval: +1,226
Gold Stars: 27
They also seemed to single out Silk and constantly pinged their left winger the ball. Signs they'd done their homework pre-season. They look like they're going to do a Crawley to me.

@biccysthefishy

£110,105

[url]https://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/causes/mariners-trust/[/url]
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 18 - 24
Lumpsleftbreast
August 15, 2011, 4:19pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.28
Rep Score: +8 / -1
Approval: +24
Quoted from biggles9999

I did say to friends at the game on Saturday that Fleetwood seemed to have picked out Coulson as the dangerman.

Thats a lie.You were sat with Rich and co  

Gary Lump
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 24
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › New whipping boy

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.