No Members and 24 Guests

The Grimsby accent

This thread currently has 45,578 views. Print
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Bagshaw99
June 4, 2009, 6:47pm

Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.05
It always makes me laugh when other teams' supporters refer to Town fans as inbreds as Grimsby is one of the most mongrel and least inbred places in the country due to the huge influx of people into the fishing industry in the nineteenth century. All of those immigrants, from Devon, East London, Essex, Kent and Sussex as well as more northern counties must have affected the local accent (and dialect) quite a bit over the years. The basis is a generic East Midlands accent, as with Lincolnshire, Leicestershire, Nottinghamshire and Derbyshire, but with much sharper vowel sounds. We share a lot of dialect words with Yorkshire but the accent is very distinctively ours.

"That Grimsby team was pound for pound, and class for class, the best football team I have seen in England since the war. In the league they were in they played football nobody else could play. Everything was measured, planned and perfected and you could not wish to see more entertaining football."    Bill Shankly
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 62
MaccaBilk
June 5, 2009, 7:25am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.85
Rep Score: +3 / -1
Approval: +16
Quoted from Bagshaw99
It always makes me laugh when other teams' supporters refer to Town fans as inbreds as Grimsby is one of the most mongrel and least inbred places in the country due to the huge influx of people into the fishing industry in the nineteenth century. All of those immigrants, from Devon, East London, Essex, Kent and Sussex as well as more northern counties must have affected the local accent (and dialect) quite a bit over the years. The basis is a generic East Midlands accent, as with Lincolnshire, Leicestershire, Nottinghamshire and Derbyshire, but with much sharper vowel sounds. We share a lot of dialect words with Yorkshire but the accent is very distinctively ours.

That certainly was the case at the height of the fishing industry, but it has completely reversed in recent times; very, very few people move into the area nowadays, and as Grimsby has the highest rate of teenage pregnancy in Europe(!), I think the trend has completely reversed.  

--
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 62
BIGChris
June 5, 2009, 9:37am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.97
Rep Score: +70 / -24
Approval: +2,654
Gold Stars: 6
Quoted from MaccaBilk

That certainly was the case at the height of the fishing industry, but it has completely reversed in recent times; very, very few people move into the area nowadays, and as Grimsby has the highest rate of teenage pregnancy in Europe(!), I think the trend has completely reversed.  

Not true.

Harlepool and Middlesborough have significantly higher teenage preganancy rates than Grimsby.

It is a 'nice' story to bring the Town down but wildly inaccurrate
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 62
June 5, 2009, 9:58am
Guest User
Having grown up in Barnetby, I think most of the language I use is from Grimsby, but the accent is closer to Scunny.

I still use the word "bealing" much to the confusion of the locals, and have met with similar vague looks when asking for "scraps" at the chippy. Also, never had a crogger, always a pagger. And I occasionally still get a benny on at work...
Reply: 53 - 62
Bagshaw99
June 5, 2009, 10:40am

Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.05
Quoted from MaccaBilk

Yes, you've certainly got a point there Macca. Most of my generation left the town and never came back and very few people came in to replace us. I'm involved in parental caring duties or I would still have been down south with the London Mariners. Luckily though historically we've still got a larger gene pool up here than many other places, even if it is a tad shallower than it once was.

"That Grimsby team was pound for pound, and class for class, the best football team I have seen in England since the war. In the league they were in they played football nobody else could play. Everything was measured, planned and perfected and you could not wish to see more entertaining football."    Bill Shankly
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 62
Wrawby_Mariner
June 5, 2009, 12:22pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.72
Rep Score: +50 / -13
Approval: +862
Gold Stars: 6
Quoted from mike the mariner
Your not on form at the minute are you Wrawby.

A bit hit and miss at the moment (mostly miss)
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype Skype
Reply: 55 - 62
barralad
June 5, 2009, 6:29pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,290
Gold Stars: 126
Quoted from 97
Having grown up in Barnetby, I think most of the language I use is from Grimsby, but the accent is closer to Scunny.

I still use the word "bealing" much to the confusion of the locals, and have met with similar vague looks when asking for "scraps" at the chippy. Also, never had a crogger, always a pagger. And I occasionally still get a benny on at work...

What is the origin of that phrase? I always thought it related to Benny Hawkins on Crossroads.....

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 62
MaccaBilk
June 6, 2009, 6:11pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.85
Rep Score: +3 / -1
Approval: +16
Quoted from barralad
What is the origin of that phrase? I always thought it related to Benny Hawkins on Crossroads.....

I think I first learned of that phrase as a child in around 1981, although I don't think the etymology lineage of "Benny On" goes through Benny Hawkins. The term "Benny" (referring to Hawkins) meant someone who was slow, mentally. This got replaced by "Joey" in the early 80s as a doff of the cap to our favourite spastic, Joey Deacon.

I think the term "Benny On" was invented in a Grimsby playground in the early 80s? Anyone have any proof to dispute this?

--
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 62
aldi_01
June 7, 2009, 10:53am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.03
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
i told one of my kids at school to stop having a benny on the other day and he just stopped and laughed at me nd asked what the intercourse it meant (i work in a naughty school).

it confused him good and proper

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 62
Green27
June 7, 2009, 2:03pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.92
Rep Score: +15 / -6
Approval: +888
Gold Stars: 12
My girlfriend from Somerset has quite a posh accent until she gets drunk and then wow it's like im sleeping with one of the Wurzels!

We do the DN35 Podcast
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 62
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › The Grimsby accent

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.