Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: exiledmeggie, September 17, 2021, 2:32pm
Now to be honest if we had a crowd in against the Scunts last year and had beaten them, they would be out of the league and us safe! That did not happen, but as we mustered over 6,000 fans for a Tuesday game this week and the old showground bus shelter was a mere 2,000, the tide has now turned.

We are under new management and dynamism!

They are destined to ....
https://www.grimsbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/scunthorpe-united-grimsby-town-opinion-5928698

#UTM
Posted by: TAGG, September 17, 2021, 2:42pm; Reply: 1
I know you shouldn't say this sort of thing on here but I feel sorry for them.
We had enough of being run by a dictator who had no idea how to run a football club or had any respect for the fans so we know how they feel.
Posted by: 140381 (Guest), September 17, 2021, 2:48pm; Reply: 2
They’re in an absolute mess. I do feel sorry for them. No fun if you don’t have local rivals. More time for fans who turn up to see their local team than those who buy a prem shirt and a sky subscription. Hope they find a way out, but it’s got Bury written all over it.
Posted by: Yossarian, September 17, 2021, 2:53pm; Reply: 3
Any club down in the lower leagues is only a couple of bad decisions away from going bust.  I feel for them as I do for any lower league club in difficulties - and I'd rather they stuck around so we have local rivals.  

Good point above by Marinerdazza  - better a local rival than some nob in a Premier League shirt who never attends a game.
Posted by: RobDef1, September 17, 2021, 3:16pm; Reply: 4
I take the point in feeling sorry for them, and of course, its a love to hate thing. However, For decades we were leagues and worlds above Scunny. In my short experience of that time I don't ever remember hearing the word Scunthorpe at Blundell park. They were simply irrelevant.

Yet, since they eclipsed us during our downfall, and have since either been around or above us, they have never ever shut up about it. They have 2 (or 3) songs dedicated to us alone, and having lived in Scunthorpe a number of years now I can well and truly say despite still being a league below them I am absolutely revelling in their demise. They can shove it as far as I'm concerned :)
Posted by: rancido, September 17, 2021, 3:17pm; Reply: 5
Quoted from TAGG
I know you shouldn't say this sort of thing on here but I feel sorry for them.
We had enough of being run by a dictator who had no idea how to run a football club or had any respect for the fans so we know how they feel.

I, for one, don't feel sorry for them. All the abuse we took from those Ferrous Fingered Fornicators when they got to the Championship and we struggled has not been forgotten by me. The sooner they slump into non-league oblivion won't be soon enough for me.
Posted by: dapperz fun pub, September 17, 2021, 3:23pm; Reply: 6
Quoted from rancido

I, for one, don't feel sorry for them. All the abuse we took from those Ferrous Fingered Fornicators when they got to the Championship and we struggled has not been forgotten by me. The sooner they slump into non-league oblivion won't be soon enough for me.

Same … feck um
Posted by: Humbercod, September 17, 2021, 3:31pm; Reply: 7
Feel sorry for them😂
Posted by: Poojah, September 17, 2021, 3:32pm; Reply: 8
Their average gate so far this season is lower than Sutton United’s, a town with roughly half the population of Scunthorpe. They won’t be getting any higher any time soon, either.

Whatever your sentiments are towards them, there are troubled waters ahead for the Scunts.
Posted by: Bristol Mariner, September 17, 2021, 3:46pm; Reply: 9
Quoted from dapperz fun pub

Same … feck um

Give them Fenty…..
Posted by: dapperz fun pub, September 17, 2021, 3:47pm; Reply: 10
Quoted from Bristol Mariner

Give them Fenty…..

I don’t hate them that much 😂
Posted by: Poojah, September 17, 2021, 3:53pm; Reply: 11

Give them Fenty…..

I like how that sounds like 'Fenty' is some kind of venereal disease.
Posted by: rancido, September 17, 2021, 4:44pm; Reply: 12

Give them Fenty…..

A marriage made in Heaven!
Posted by: Bignic69, September 17, 2021, 4:51pm; Reply: 13
Quoted from Poojah

I like how that sounds like 'Fenty' is some kind of venereal disease.

Fenty is the new Covid
Posted by: RonMariner, September 17, 2021, 4:53pm; Reply: 14
Fenty?

Even they don't deserve that.
Posted by: acko338, September 17, 2021, 4:54pm; Reply: 15
Plus Holloway as the man backing Fenty !!
Posted by: RonMariner, September 17, 2021, 4:56pm; Reply: 16
Quoted from acko338

Come on, we need them to survive so that we can give them a good trashing or two.
Posted by: tarka, September 17, 2021, 4:56pm; Reply: 17
I have no problem with the supporters of SUFC - there's obviously a local rivalry and banter is inevitable, but at least they are supporting their local team rather than one of the Premier League giants. More power to their elbow I say and I sincerely hope they sort themselves out. Yes, we're a league below them but we are going through a fabulous time on and off the pitch....let's show a bit off class and wish them well!
Posted by: RonMariner, September 17, 2021, 4:56pm; Reply: 18
Quoted from acko338

Come on, we need them to survive so that we can give them a good trashing or two.
Posted by: RonMariner, September 17, 2021, 4:58pm; Reply: 19
The guy they hate so much has put £11million into the club over the years.

Blimey, there's gratitude for you.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, September 17, 2021, 5:12pm; Reply: 20
Quoted from RonMariner
The guy they hate so much has put £11million into the club over the years.

Blimey, there's gratitude for you.

That’s the problem with benefactors. They want to call the shots. That’s why I think clubs should be run in a financially sustainable fashion and by fans.
Posted by: acko338, September 17, 2021, 5:17pm; Reply: 21
Isn't Swann's funding through his wife's association with Wilko and she has recently withdrawn the purse strings??
Posted by: The Yard Dog, September 17, 2021, 5:55pm; Reply: 22
Quoted from RonMariner

How's that going to happen, we go up, they go down.
Posted by: The Yard Dog, September 17, 2021, 6:17pm; Reply: 23
Quoted from acko338
Isn't Swann's funding through his wife's association with Wilko and she has recently withdrawn the purse strings??

They are left with the poorest squad they have had for many years - brought here largely by Swann and his son Will who have taken charge of recruitment.

And they are answerable to no-one. For the Swann family have effectively no opposition in the boardroom, no-one to question their actions.

Swann has taken away the name of Glanford Park - and now, after rattling up £11-million worth of debts he knew the club could not afford, he has effectively taken all the assets and has arguably put SUFC's future in greater jeopardy than it has ever been before.

He has wiped out the £11-million debt he has incurred - but as compensation he has acquired all the assets, the stadium and the surrounding area.
Posted by: DB, September 17, 2021, 6:35pm; Reply: 24

If you were a Scunny fan all you have is a name. Management and player's contracts expire at the end of their time. As posted previously on other threads the club has no assets, so there is nothing for a prospective buyer to buy, but a name.

As much as we may despise and hate them they are in deep sh!t. The knackers yard await them, unfortunately.
Posted by: louth_in_the_south, September 17, 2021, 6:47pm; Reply: 25
The shame is they’ll be forgotten in 5 mins if they disappear and a big Tesco’s built on top of their ground
Posted by: RonMariner, September 17, 2021, 6:55pm; Reply: 26
Quoted from louth_in_the_south
The shame is they’ll be forgotten in 5 mins if they disappear and a big Tesco’s built on top of their ground

This is what happens when rich boy's get tired of their vanity projects.

They may have to do what Darlington, Wimbledon and others have.  Start a Pheonix club from the ashes and start again with a fan owned club.

Posted by: DB, September 17, 2021, 6:56pm; Reply: 27
Quoted from RonMariner

They may have to do what Darlington, Wimbledon and others have.  Start a Pheonix club from the ashes and start again with a fan owned club.

Not forgetting Wrecksham

Posted by: RonMariner, September 17, 2021, 6:58pm; Reply: 28
Quoted from DB

Not forgetting Wrecksham

Exactly. How long before Ryan gets bored and leaves them in a dead pool.
Posted by: RobDef1, September 17, 2021, 7:02pm; Reply: 29
Quoted from RonMariner

need fans for that
Posted by: RonMariner, September 17, 2021, 7:27pm; Reply: 30
Quoted from RobDef1

need fans for that

True. That's that plan out of the window then.
Posted by: toontown, September 17, 2021, 7:28pm; Reply: 31
Quoted from RonMariner

Yeah but is he saddling Wrexham with debt the way swann did with scunny or is he just paying for it out of his own pocket? If its the latter, which I think it is (but not sure), it won't leave Wrexham any worse off when he leaves and quite likely they will be better off.
Posted by: Limerick Mariner, September 17, 2021, 7:47pm; Reply: 32
I’m not into wishing any club to go under - save MK Dons, I like beating Scunthorpe and for them to be below us in the League. Not much point in gloating about their 2000 crowds either, they are a smaller club than us and Lincoln and always have been. Lincoln should be the ones in our gunsights longer term. And it hasn’t taken an FA cup run to the QFs to fill BP - a mere 2 homes with non-toxic owners.

Be nice to remind them about that stupid and embarrassing banner they produced last time we played at some point as well…
Posted by: sydney, September 17, 2021, 7:56pm; Reply: 33
What was that Banner?
Posted by: Limerick Mariner, September 17, 2021, 8:07pm; Reply: 34
Some along the lines of “Be Forever In Our Shadow” someone might recall the exact wording. To be fair some Lincoln fans were embarrassed about it.
Posted by: jamesgtfc, September 17, 2021, 8:11pm; Reply: 35
Quoted from louth_in_the_south

Would Asda then move in to the Tesco across the road? 😉

I get your point though, the land that the ground sits on is probably worth an absolute fortune once the tennant occupying it 23 times a year is gone. The way I see it panning out is the fans drive him out, the rent increases significantly so that they default kicks them out and makes all his money back (plus some more on top) by building a big industrial warehouse or something.

Quoted from toontown

Yeah but is he saddling Wrexham with debt the way swann did with scunny or is he just paying for it out of his own pocket? If its the latter, which I think it is (but not sure), it won't leave Wrexham any worse off when he leaves and quite likely they will be better off.

If he's paying for it out of his own pocket, what happens if he decides this soccer thing isn't for him in January? Mullin still has 2.5 years left on his £9k a week (depending what you read) deal. Will he leave with a £1.5m advance for his wages? I doubt it. It's an absolute car crash waiting to happen.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, September 17, 2021, 8:13pm; Reply: 36
Quoted from The Yard Dog

They are left with the poorest squad they have had for many years - brought here largely by Swann and his son Will who have taken charge of recruitment.

And they are answerable to no-one. For the Swann family have effectively no opposition in the boardroom, no-one to question their actions.

Swann has taken away the name of Glanford Park - and now, after rattling up £11-million worth of debts he knew the club could not afford, he has effectively taken all the assets and has arguably put SUFC's future in greater jeopardy than it has ever been before.

He has wiped out the £11-million debt he has incurred - but as compensation he has acquired all the assets, the stadium and the surrounding area.

Swann family make up most of the board and still spunk away millions a year on horses too. I believe Mrs Swann nee Wilkinson prefers horses to football and last weekend I believe Peter and Will Swann were playing golf in Scotland rather than watching the football.
Posted by: 140381 (Guest), September 17, 2021, 9:02pm; Reply: 37
Quoted from Humbercod
Feel sorry for them😂

My concern is more about ceasing to exist. I think it’s that bad. Imagine never being able to beat them again? Dunno about you but during lockdown, as dreadful as the football was, the iFollow stream was the only thing that marked the passing of the days and it was entirely the focus of the week. God knows what it would have been like without it. Really made me realise how important it is and how important belonging to something bigger is.

Wouldn’t take that away from anyone. Even Scunny fans. UTFM.
Posted by: moosey_club, September 17, 2021, 11:00pm; Reply: 38
Quoted from RonMariner

A fan owned club eh ? If they all chip in then that should pay the water rates.
F k em, a long and slow death may they endure.

Posted by: moosey_club, September 17, 2021, 11:02pm; Reply: 39

and last weekend I believe Peter and Will Swann were playing golf in Scotland rather than watching the football. [/quote]

Well cant blame them the football on offer is sh1t.
Posted by: DB, September 18, 2021, 6:23am; Reply: 40
Quoted from moosey_club

A fan owned club eh ? If they all chip in then that should pay the water rates.
F k em, a long and slow death may they endure.

Well cant blame them the football on offer is sh1t.

Their football is sh!t because Swan & family select the players for the club to bring in, and then dump them on a manager who is expected to get results.

You should have some sympathy about your death bit, that is exactly what was happening at BP until the glorious 5th May 2021. We had assets for 1878 to buy, Swanny took the blood, flesh and crushed the bones from the club. As I posted earlier what is left for a future purchaser is a name.

Remember you can only have a Derby, banter, and bragging rights with a local club if it's in existence. If the club folds then so do all these 3 which, to me, takes some pleasure away from football.

Posted by: KingstonMariner, September 18, 2021, 6:44am; Reply: 41
Be a crying shame if they fold. It’s nice t good for English football and it’s not good for Grimsby Town if Scunny disappear. Local rivalries are part of the fabric of our football culture. Who you going to laugh at without them?

I’d FAR rather Scunthorpians followed their local team than some bloody premier league team.
Posted by: moosey_club, September 18, 2021, 9:05am; Reply: 42
Quoted from DB

Their football is sh!t because Swan & family select the players for the club to bring in, and then dump them on a manager who is expected to get results.

You should have some sympathy about your death bit, that is exactly what was happening at BP until the glorious 5th May 2021. We had assets for 1878 to buy, Swanny took the blood, flesh and crushed the bones from the club. As I posted earlier what is left for a future purchaser is a name.

Remember you can only have a Derby, banter, and bragging rights with a local club if it's in existence. If the club folds then so do all these 3 which, to me, takes some pleasure away from football.

Nah, fck em. Long, slow and painful. Football rivalries I do understand the need for, essential for the game at all levels, but I have my own personal reasons why I would be very happy to see them cease to exist.
Their support could soon latch onto Winterton or Brigg for a football fix.

Posted by: MidnightMariner, September 18, 2021, 11:23am; Reply: 43
Quoted from moosey_club

Nah, fck em. Long, slow and painful. Football rivalries I do understand the need for, essential for the game at all levels, but I have my own personal reasons why I would be very happy to see them cease to exist.
Their support could soon latch onto Winterton or Brigg for a football fix.

OR..... They could adopt the Mighty Mariners and help fill our new Ground 😄
UTM
Posted by: rancido, September 18, 2021, 11:49am; Reply: 44
Quoted from MidnightMariner

OR..... They could adopt the Mighty Mariners and help fill our new Ground 😄
UTM

I think they  would be more likely to transfer their allegiance to Doncaster - lest be honest the Scunts are three quarters Yorkies anyway.
Posted by: grimps, September 18, 2021, 11:53am; Reply: 45
Quoted from RobDef1
I take the point in feeling sorry for them, and of course, its a love to hate thing. However, For decades we were leagues and worlds above Scunny. In my short experience of that time I don't ever remember hearing the word Scunthorpe at Blundell park. They were simply irrelevant.

Yet, since they eclipsed us during our downfall, and have since either been around or above us, they have never ever shut up about it. They have 2 (or 3) songs dedicated to us alone, and having lived in Scunthorpe a number of years now I can well and truly say despite still being a league below them I am absolutely revelling in their demise. They can shove it as far as I'm concerned :)

I worked on the refinery’s for years with a lot of people from Scunthorpe and never heard one claim to be an Iron supporter back then , they was all Leeds or Sheff U fans .
They only started getting gobby once we dropped down the leagues but still never went and supported their team .
Our main rivals for most of my life was always Hull and even they wasn’t up to much back in the day .

If Scunny go down they’ll never come back as nobody will take on the kind of debt they must owe plus they don’t have the support to generate any way of paying it off
Posted by: Les Brechin, September 18, 2021, 11:53am; Reply: 46
Quoted from RonMariner

I see what you did there.  ;)
Posted by: Gaffer58, September 18, 2021, 2:56pm; Reply: 47
If Swanny has put any assets they have into his companies then in theory they may not have any depts, but that may mean apart from players they may also not have any assets, but the point being someone could maybe buy them for £1 and Swann would walk away quite happy. Probably the best time for a proper fans buy out?
Posted by: arryarryarry, September 18, 2021, 3:19pm; Reply: 48
Quoted from KingstonMariner

That’s the problem with benefactors. They want to call the shots. That’s why I think clubs should be run in a financially sustainable fashion and by fans.

Didn't do much good for Wrexham and their trust ended up being hated by many of their fans.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, September 18, 2021, 4:31pm; Reply: 49
Quoted from arryarryarry

Didn't do much good for Wrexham and their trust ended up being hated by many of their fans.

That’s because they’re idiots.
Posted by: grimps, September 18, 2021, 5:06pm; Reply: 50
They was 2-0 up away at Carlisle and messed it up  :)
Posted by: hampshiremariner, September 18, 2021, 5:51pm; Reply: 51
I don't wish to see the demise of any football club at whatever level. They are at the heart of every community and when they have a good spell the mood of ordinary people is lifted. And don't we need our spirits lifted in these terrible Covid times?
I would love to see all the Lincolnshire clubs playing in L1 at least. A healthy rivalry is wished for but not animosity and hatred.
I hope Scunthorpe manage to keep their L2 status and we go up as well. Then we have recovered a local derby of some year's standing. Who provides us with a derby in the NL?  Notts? Chesterfield? Not really local enough and it leaves a bit of a vacuum.
Posted by: moosey_club, September 18, 2021, 7:42pm; Reply: 52
Quoted from Gaffer58
I, but the point being someone could maybe buy them for £1 and Swann would walk away quite happy. Probably the best time for a proper fans buy out?

Only 1p per fan.

Posted by: denni266, September 18, 2021, 7:56pm; Reply: 53
just want Scunny to go down  not bust  . Local rivals are needed in football
Posted by: Vance Warner, September 18, 2021, 9:20pm; Reply: 54
Quoted from denni266
just want Scunny to go down  not bust  . Local rivals are needed in football

To be fair if they go down going bust might be inevitable.
Print page generated: May 21, 2024, 12:39am