2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
dicko995
April 29, 2024, 6:53pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: -252
Gold Stars: 26
Will keep this short. Since supporting Town from 1961 as a 5 year old in the Boys Stand in the Barrets, where my big brother took me with a flask of soup, this is where my love of the game happened to my home Club. After that first game, i walked into the ground watching the players train, autograph book in hand, and the players gave me much pleasure in signing every page of my book, i was in love. I even was invited to players houses, Brian Clifton, George Higgins, the list goes on. I even remember Bobby Ross coming through the tunnel onto the pitch with a cigarette in his hand, Goals?.. John Fielding with a right hand cross straight into the goal against Hull. A blimer. Anyway, onto the subject. In my childhood days, players were signed by the Club, and played for the Club. Negotiations were from the Chair to the Player, the Club owned the player on paper. Transfers was from Club to Club, no agents, just a fee. And now, here we go, its all down to agents who have jumped on the bandwagon, and think "Hello, i can earn money here". .... Ad since that first day, here is where the game has declined, and the beginning of a money game, and that has done the demise of lower Clubs. And in the future years, like today, the money and power has given the it to the higher league Clubs to dictate the laws of money. And also, since the laws of football was written, we now have an invention of showing footballers being offside by a computer which is slowly taking over the referee, who now has a fourth referee, who is just there to be moaned at by the 2 managers, who have umpteen substitutes to play with. And as im an oldie in this game, when i was a young Town fan, on my paper delivery job, i was always late delivering the saturday late paper, looking at the results, and grabbing a bag of chips n peas with scraps for 6 pence. And, the end of this moan, is.... what would happen if the FA put a law in, to sack all the Agents who own players that they rely on, and let the Football Clubs own the players again. I reckon if this happened, then it may get the name of the Beautiful Game again. Sorry for the rant, but at my 70 year old age, and 65 years at Blundell Park, i reckon i deserve it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
GollyGTFC
April 29, 2024, 7:45pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +6,079
Gold Stars: 359
Quoted from dicko995
Will keep this short.

I’d hate to see it if you’d made it a long one.

Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 1 - 17
GollyGTFC
April 29, 2024, 7:46pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +6,079
Gold Stars: 359
Oh and agents don’t “own” any players in English football. They represent their clients to help them maximise their income from what is a short career.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 2 - 17
grassbandits
April 29, 2024, 8:04pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.05
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +134
Gold Stars: 6
Don’t be heading them old balls either!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 17
Garth
April 29, 2024, 8:22pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.91
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,936
Gold Stars: 27
Games more exciting today, playing surface better, covered seating area not cold wet terracing, food and drinks available, best footballers on show from all over the world not just UK.
Don't be looking back and enjoy the present.
From a 84 year old
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 17
BobbyCummingsTackle
April 29, 2024, 8:22pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.54
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +7,323
Gold Stars: 309
Quoted from GollyGTFC
Oh and agents don’t “own” any players in English football. They represent their clients to help them maximise their income from what is a short career.

There have been examples of players owned by 3rd parties who have been 'leased' to clubs, it's not that unusual in S America.

When Rio Ferdinand was at Leeds he wasn't owned by the club and the supporters went nuts when he was sold to Man Utd for a fortune and Leeds made b*gger all on the deal. Also, Tevas was owned by someone else when he was at West Ham (and Mascarano may have been as well). They both arrived from S American football.

I have a very good friend who works in finance and he has been involved in some deals in the North West and has told me all sorts of crazy stuff about these kinds of set ups. In the UK a former player who became an agent was a big mover in these kind of deals but I can't for the life of me remember who it is/was.

Whoever owns the player is effectively their agent. But this seems to have fallen out of fashion lately.

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 17
The Caterham Mariner
April 29, 2024, 8:29pm
Exile and Proud..
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.49
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +105
Gold Stars: 8
A pleasure to read the contributions from the "oldie" Mariners thank you.
At 58 I have along way to go
UTM

An Exile and Proud  !! UTM
Mariners Trust Life Member.
In the words of my Uncle Fred "You can take the man outta of Grimsby BUT  you can't take the Grimsby!  Out the man!"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 17
Swansea_Mariner
April 29, 2024, 8:44pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +22 / -3
Approval: +6,478
Gold Stars: 63
Wasn't Bonetti's image owned in some fashion I seem to remember?
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 17
Yossarian
April 29, 2024, 8:49pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +1,097
Gold Stars: 19
I have an agent when I negotiate my contracts with potential new employers.  This is not a niche football thing -

They are a necessary component of any negotiation if you are dealing with two parties - it is so common as to be hardly worth commenting on.

I get that agents in football have a certain stereotype, but when you have kids in their early 20s (and they are kids!) you need someone to guide them through that process and get them a good deal.  Football is a festering cesspit and most people barely make any money (the average salaries at town are very low considering that is the "peak" of most players careers) - anything that helps people through that to get a good living i support.

Not everyone is on 50k a week
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 17
bedders78
April 30, 2024, 7:26am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +3 / -3
Approval: +841
Gold Stars: 12
My solution for football would be for the PFA to employ agents for players to use to reduce the fees, possibly with a percentage on larger deals going back to grassroots / after career player support

Grim Outlook exile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 17
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.