Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Pass completion..
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 46 Guests

Pass completion..

This thread currently has 953 views. Print
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
lukeo
May 4, 2023, 5:03pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,419
Gold Stars: 149
Not so long ago we had a debate in here regards pass completion and how certain players would have a poor percentage (I think Hunt was the big debate). I found this quote very interesting from 1 of the best players in the world and i have to say i agree with him. Hunt is similar in the fact when he can he will look to go forward with his passes and try to create something.

🎙️ Kevin De Bruyne: “I think pass completion is one of the most wasteful stats for players like me, maybe for defensive midfielders it’s important but not for me.

I can have 96% pass completion and I can play sideways and backwards, I wasn't dangerous for the whole game. It means I've done nothing. What's the point of it?”
Logged Online
Private Message
Maringer
May 4, 2023, 6:42pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,704
Gold Stars: 189
I'm not sure that comparing Hunt to De Bruyne is a great idea, even tangentially.

De Bruyne does his best work in more advanced positions in the opposition half, Hunt tends to receive the ball deeper.

The problem with Hunt hasn't been the fact that he loses possession with attempts at defence-splitting passes, it's that he gives it away too often with passes he should certainly be making more than 9 times out of ten. Up to him to develop the consistency in this area. The good players make difficult passes look easy and then sometimes get the almost impossible passes right. I don't see Hunt as likely to create too many chances outright, but he's certainly capable of moving the ball forward more quickly so the team as a whole create more chances.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 6
Spurn boy
May 4, 2023, 7:26pm

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.23
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +1,264
Gold Stars: 31
During one of our many successful periods we had Joe Waters who came to the club with help from donations by GTFC supporters, in my opinion he was one of the best midfield players we have had and certainly one of the best passers of the ball and considering how bad the BP pitch was during the winter months he always managed to make his passes count.

Dead Eye Dobbin stood motionless waiting, waiting, waiting for the ball to arrive. Back came the right foot, Down came the right foot, Bang ! Headlines around the world as the ball flew into the very top right hand corner of the goal.( Jim Dobbin scoring in the 89th minute for Town against Newcastle United away 24/10/1992 )
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 6
toontown
May 4, 2023, 7:26pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,267
Gold Stars: 70
Quoted from Maringer
I'm not sure that comparing Hunt to De Bruyne is a great idea, even tangentially.

De Bruyne does his best work in more advanced positions in the opposition half, Hunt tends to receive the ball deeper.

The problem with Hunt hasn't been the fact that he loses possession with attempts at defence-splitting passes, it's that he gives it away too often with passes he should certainly be making more than 9 times out of ten. Up to him to develop the consistency in this area. The good players make difficult passes look easy and then sometimes get the almost impossible passes right. I don't see Hunt as likely to create too many chances outright, but he's certainly capable of moving the ball forward more quickly so the team as a whole create more chances.

Yeah good points.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 6
GollyGTFC
May 5, 2023, 6:55am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +5,991
Gold Stars: 361
But the players previous highlighted as having lower pass completion percentage were the ones who have mainly figured in the traditional midfield/defensive midfield role for us: Green, Morris & Holohan.

Clifton’s isn’t great either but he’s played more as a winger or part of the attacking midfield duo.

KDB is correct that pass completion is less important the further forward you play, but for the players highlighted previous it is very important and is a glaring weakness for us.

But it’s worth remembering that for a pass to be completed it takes 2 players. It also relies on the receiving player to play his part too.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 4 - 6
lukeo
May 5, 2023, 7:36am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,419
Gold Stars: 149
Quoted from GollyGTFC
But the players previous highlighted as having lower pass completion percentage were the ones who have mainly figured in the traditional midfield/defensive midfield role for us: Green, Morris & Holohan.

Clifton’s isn’t great either but he’s played more as a winger or part of the attacking midfield duo.

KDB is correct that pass completion is less important the further forward you play, but for the players highlighted previous it is very important and is a glaring weakness for us.

But it’s worth remembering that for a pass to be completed it takes 2 players. It also relies on the receiving player to play his part too.

Spot on. You can be the best passer in the world, if your team mates can't get in good positions or space you're copulated.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 6
OddShapedBalls
May 5, 2023, 8:53am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: +1,195
Gold Stars: 40
Our off the ball movement has been mostly poor to non-existent, and we've still had a good few games where we've looked like arsenal compared to the opposition.  The lack of options at throw-ins in particular stands out. Whether that's the players we have or the coaching I wouldn't know, but If we can get some life into this aspect of the game we'll definitely be contenders next year and it'll be cracking to watch.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 6
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Pass completion..

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.