Mappers
April 20, 2023, 11:33pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.37
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,685
Gold Stars: 122
Quoted from IlkleyMariner
I’ve absolutely no idea how much Paul is on at Town, but it won’t be peanuts and he probably won’t become a millionaire on it.

But he has a pretty well free hand on running the football side of the club, and as long as he keeps delivering he is unlikely to be sacked.

With modern technology he can use his time wisely and having to travel to  Grimsby won’t be the drain it once would have been.

All in all, doubt he will be leaving anytime soon……

I imagine he's already a millionaire and financially secure from his pay off at Ipswich tbf.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 55
Heisenberg
April 20, 2023, 11:48pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +5,125
Gold Stars: 98
Quoted from Mappers

I imagine he's already a millionaire and financially secure from his pay off at Ipswich tbf.

Surely that’s pushing it a bit? A millionaire from getting the boot at Ipswich? I have no facts whatsoever, but that’s highly unlikely, in my opinion.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 55
promotion plaice
April 21, 2023, 12:05am

Posts Per Day: 3.84
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,105
Gold Stars: 201
Quoted from Heisenberg

Surely that’s pushing it a bit? A millionaire from getting the boot at Ipswich? I have no facts whatsoever, but that’s highly unlikely, in my opinion.

Let's not forget Hurst also got the sack at Scunny, could be true  

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 55
arryarryarry
April 21, 2023, 12:37am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,027
Gold Stars: 118
Quoted from It Bites
He's a safe pair of hands so clubs will always have an eye on him . If he did leave I think we'd cope better than last time he left

I suggest you go on the Ipswich forum and say he's a safe pair of hands and see what response you get.

My advice would be duck.
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 55
grimsby pete
April 21, 2023, 12:56am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.77
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,865
Gold Stars: 224
Hurst has got the safest job or one of the safest jobs in the EFL.

This season 36 out of the 72 clubs have parted with the manager.

If he goes he might be out of work before the end of next season.

If he stays he could be here for years.

I wonder what Mrs Hurst has to say about it.

When you have been out of work a couple of times it is hard to leave a secure job.

Over 37 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             69 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 55
lee65
April 21, 2023, 12:59am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +2,489
Gold Stars: 10
Quoted from promotion plaice

Let's not forget Hurst also got the sack at Scunny, could be true  

What, £980k from Ipswich and £37.50 from Scunny!  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 55
Grimsby2012
April 21, 2023, 4:36am

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Rep Score: +12 / -8
Approval: -1,516
Gold Stars: 24
Hurst must realise by now that leaving is futile.

Hurst to Grimsby is like taking a turd in the ocean. Once it leaves it always finds its way back.

How much of the original turd is left? Who knows.

But the turd will be better off onshore, at home, without ever leaving.

I blocked seeing red ticks years ago so go ahead   If I don't reply to you then i didn't read your replies  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 55
lukeo
April 21, 2023, 6:33am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.06
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,423
Gold Stars: 150
I'm not worried about this as PH is a sensible bloke... Port Vale would be a disaster. Blackpool would be an upgrade but how long would they give him realistically?
If this rumour was teams whose chairmen are renowned for backing their managers or a Yorkshire club I'd be concerned.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 55
aldi_01
April 21, 2023, 6:41am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.01
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Quoted from arryarryarry

I suggest you go on the Ipswich forum and say he's a safe pair of hands and see what response you get.

My advice would be duck.

Not sure I’d take any opinion of Hurst from an Ipswich fan as being relevant or worthwhile; he was taken in there to do a job by the directors. He did it. The fans have a skewed view of their club after a few seasons in the premier league and being good for about 5 years 40odd years ago.

Hurst went in, was told to off load the high earners first off and then see what happened, he did that which every knee would probably lead to further decline, which is what happened but the board weren’t straight with fans about the financial predicament of the club and still had a conflicting ambition…they believed as did many of the fans that they were playoff contenders…they never were and eventually got what they deserved.

Hurst did what he was told and likely doesn’t care, he sid more than ok out of it, same with the Cowleys when they went to Huddersfield. Yet another championship club that sniffed top flight so now believe that’s their rightful place or whatever.

As for Port Vale and Blackpool, you’d imagine of the two Blackpool would be one that may interest him but they’re still a bit basket case and I believe Hurst is fundamental to what Stockwood and Pettit are doing at town, whether a few angry man babies agree or not, it’s a fact and Hurst is very different to last time. It’s much more relaxed and open and we saw emotion from him last year and a if you look at the fans forum, he was laid back, joked and what not, definitely not the dour Yorkshireman image that some desperately paint.

All that suggests he’s happy at Town and aside from a few man babies, the vast majority of fans are. When he left last time it was a disgrace and is high up on the long list of Fenty intercourse ups, I’m not saying it would have that impact this time but I genuinely believe that Hurst is key to what is happening at BP.

Ultimately, anyone in football knows our second relegation from the league was cemented well before Hurst came back but what he did last year is nothing short of a miracle and to then make the club comfortably mid table straight away and get to an FA cup quarter final is genius too…he’ll have suitors…

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 55
HertsGTFC
April 21, 2023, 6:57am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.24
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +23,183
Gold Stars: 243
Quoted from Mappers

I think it was Souness on a Sky interview who said Managers outside of the premier leagues top clubs generally don’t get a lump sum. They get paid their salaries month by month, if they get another job it stops.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 55
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Blackpool and Port Vale after Hurst

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.