This thread currently has 722 views. Print
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
promotion plaice
April 20, 2023, 8:47am

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,083
Gold Stars: 201

Could something similar happen in the EFL, hope not.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/65327798

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
OddShapedBalls
April 20, 2023, 8:52am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: +1,195
Gold Stars: 40
Can't see it catching on in football, thanklfully, League is on it's bottom and needs to do something drastic to become popular again so they are looking a ways to bring in new fans - football as a whole doesn't need new fans it's already the most popular sport in the world and I can't imagine all the rich owners of the clubs being willing to drop out the premier league because their fan engagement didn't score 5 points on a form.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 6
Abdul19
April 20, 2023, 9:05am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.40
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,632
Gold Stars: 220
Great idea. Keeps the top level for proper rugby league clubs who deserve to be there because they were good in the 70s, rather than being infiltrated by tinpot teams who may have won promotion fairly but have no fans.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 6
diehardmariner
April 20, 2023, 9:22am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,790
Gold Stars: 545
Not quite to that extreme, but I think there would be support (although it would never get over the line) for some merit based system in football to ensure promotion.  I'm thinking similar to the ground requirements as you move up the pyramid.

Proof of financial stability, community engagement, commitment to education of the young player etc. are all good measures that I'd like to see monitored properly in football.  They won't be though, whatever we get will be a token gesture.

Getting points because you've got lots of fans is a big bag of male masturbation though.
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 6
DB
April 20, 2023, 10:14am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.35
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,065
Gold Stars: 391
The theory looks good, but is it needed in football? I think the only 2 things that need tweaking are the promtion/relegation should be 4 clubs including the NL and I would also like to see professional refs in all leagues.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 6
toontown
April 20, 2023, 12:44pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,266
Gold Stars: 70
I think the reason they are doing it in rugby league is that they try and be like football with a promotion and relegation pyramid but don't have anything like tge depth of clubs football does so they can't actually support such a system.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 6
GrimRob
April 20, 2023, 8:53pm

Posts Per Day: 2.11
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,473
Gold Stars: 115
Every 5 years or so they keep trying something different. No relegation, splitting the leagues midway through the season, relegation every 3 years, now this. In a few years' time, they will be resisting it again, and come up with something different.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 6 - 6
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Rugby League vote in grading proposal

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.