3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Mappers
April 18, 2023, 1:09pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.37
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,687
Gold Stars: 122
Some of them look like they enjoy it though , almost turns them on flashing their little cards around and waving their arms about , they must do or why would they do it ; let them get on with it i say and 'take some' when it's dished out .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 23
rancido
April 18, 2023, 1:14pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,703
Gold Stars: 103
Quoted from ska face
All this “yes sir, no sir, three bags full sir” rugby Union nonsense will never catch on in football - it’s a cultural thing, where most professional rugby union players are conditioned to be that way through years of being bullied to within an inch of their lives by boarding school masters who then ref them rolling around in the mud the next day.

We tried the 10 yard advancing rule for dissent about 20 years ago and it got knocked on the head sharpish because refs just weren’t consistent enough in its application. There’s an obsession in football with trying to over complicate everything, in part driven by people with a financial interest in doing so. I think the FA enjoy the spectacle of refs being hounded by groups of players because it makes for exciting telly and gives shirt sponsors guaranteed screen time.

I said years ago that VAR was just another opportunity for advertising, and this became clear to me at Southampton where I was stood looking at their big screen for half the night rather than the pitch. Given the opportunity, it’ll be orange cards sponsored by Wotsits or a player sent to the Biffa Sin Bin.

But surely a cultural thing can be reversed in the same way as racism and sexism have been. It's not like ' yes sir, no sir ' but more about respect for those officiating the game

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 23
arryarryarry
April 18, 2023, 3:32pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,029
Gold Stars: 118
They shouldn't have scrapped that rule that if a player objects to a foul or decision the referee moves the free kick 10 yards up the field.

If my memory serves me right I think we scored from a free kick at Chesterfield after a referee did that.

Whatever happened to the chant

Oh oh oh oh what a referee, SHITHOUSE.
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 23
rancido
April 18, 2023, 4:48pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,703
Gold Stars: 103
Quoted from ska face
All this “yes sir, no sir, three bags full sir” rugby Union nonsense will never catch on in football - it’s a cultural thing, where most professional rugby union players are conditioned to be that way through years of being bullied to within an inch of their lives by boarding school masters who then ref them rolling around in the mud the next day.

We tried the 10 yard advancing rule for dissent about 20 years ago and it got knocked on the head sharpish because refs just weren’t consistent enough in its application. There’s an obsession in football with trying to over complicate everything, in part driven by people with a financial interest in doing so. I think the FA enjoy the spectacle of refs being hounded by groups of players because it makes for exciting telly and gives shirt sponsors guaranteed screen time.

I said years ago that VAR was just another opportunity for advertising, and this became clear to me at Southampton where I was stood looking at their big screen for half the night rather than the pitch. Given the opportunity, it’ll be orange cards sponsored by Wotsits or a player sent to the Biffa Sin Bin.

Your belief that RU is dominated by ex public schoolboys is a myth in this day and age. Since the game became professional it has attracted thousands of followers who had state funded education's, the more so since England won the RU World Cup. It's this reverse snobbery from some quarters that perpetuates this falsley perceived ' class divide' that only ' posh public schoolboys' play RU. I have many friends from working class backgrounds who play or have played RU. It is taught in many state schools but more so in the Midlands and South West. Football could learn a lot from the discipline and respect that exists in both forms of rugby. Sadly if people persist in wearing blinkered vision to this then we will never see a change in the deteriorating situation we have with footballers and those officiating the game.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 23
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Fan behaviour towards officials

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.