13 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 Next All Recommend Thread
Theimperialcoroner
April 20, 2023, 8:58am

Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +47 / -4
Approval: +5,333
Gold Stars: 103
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Green has had the armband for the last two games. That worries me a lot regarding the direction of travel. His ball retention and passing are woeful.

Saw some stats recently and Green/Morris had similarly poor retention and passing accuracy levels.

Batch, Crombie, Moore K, Wiggington, Cumming, Waters, Bonnyman, Ford, Emson, Drinkell, Whymark. Love you all, You are the reason I'm on here. You've had help from Todd, Handyside, Futcher P, Groves, Mendonca, Macca etc etc etc. Up The Mariners!!!!!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 100 - 125
MuddyWaters
April 20, 2023, 9:33am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.59
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,291
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from Theimperialcoroner

Saw some stats recently and Green/Morris had similarly poor retention and passing accuracy levels.

I'm not arguing with the stats but would add the context that Morris is more likely to try the more difficult pass.
Private Message
Reply: 101 - 125
GollyGTFC
April 20, 2023, 10:04am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +5,976
Gold Stars: 362
Quoted from ginnywings

He was fairly regular for Shrewsbury in their League 1 play off push under PH and was our best player in the early part of the season, but the BP faithful have decided he's crap and must go.

He's not been consistently good recently, but that doesn't make him rubbish all of a sudden.

I do think that he would look better with better players around him, and so would Hunt. Hopefully, that will be the case next season, with Hunt at least. Not sure if Morris will still be here.

Bryn Morris’ pass completion is only 65.6% in League 2 this season. That ranks him 181st out of 346 in the division. i.e. he gives the ball away far too much.

But he’s not the only one…

Gavan Holohan pass completion is 65.8%. Harry Clifton is 64.3%. And Kieran Green’s is even lower at 56.3%.

Alex Hunt is 77.6%.

For context George Moncur is 1st in League 2 with 88.5% pass completion. There are 17 players in League 2 with 80% or higher.

This is the key area he need to improve.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 102 - 125
fishcake63
April 20, 2023, 10:04am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,225
Gold Stars: 62
We need better midfielders to compete at top of this lge , not only that out two main men lloyd & mcatee are not with us much longer so i think two centre halfs rb 3 midfielders 2 wingers two strikers minimum , scratches head with our messing about in windows this could take 6 windows
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 103 - 125
jamesgtfc
April 20, 2023, 10:07am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -6
Approval: +13,106
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from GollyGTFC

Bryn Morris’ pass completion is only 65.6% in League 2 this season. That ranks him 181st out of 346 in the division. i.e. he gives the ball away far too much.

Gavan Holohan pass completion is 65.8%. Harry Clifton is 64.3%. And Kieran Green’s is even lower at 56.3%.

Alex Hunt is 77.6%.

For context George Moncur is 1st in League 2 with 88.5% pass completion. There are 17 players in League 2 with 80% or higher.

If you are only making sideways or backwards passes then your completion rate should be higher. What is defined as an attempted pass? A diagonal ball into the channel has a far lower success rate than a simple 5 yard pass in your own half. Naturally, a short pass on the edge of the oppositions congested box is quite likely to fail.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 104 - 125
Mappers
April 20, 2023, 10:11am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.41
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,588
Gold Stars: 120
Quoted from Marshy634

He didnt play tuesday ??

I posted it after the Mansfield game mate .

I actually agree with the above posts and rate him as a player .

But I can't see next season the style of play been suited to him unfortunately .

Release
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 105 - 125
Mappers
April 20, 2023, 10:15am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.41
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,588
Gold Stars: 120
Quoted from GollyGTFC

Alex Hunt is 77.6%.

These stats can be quite flawed though , players like Carrick and Busquets always had seriously high pass completion rate  yet just rolled it to the CB's / sidewards all game .

I am sure if one of those mentioned just did that it would be a lot higher % but then everyone would be shouting 'get it forward'.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 106 - 125
ska face
April 20, 2023, 10:22am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,873
Gold Stars: 854
Would imagine the back 4 at Gillingham would’ve shot up the pass completion rankings after the last 10 mins V Orient on Tuesday night -

https://twitter.com/deutsch_gills/status/1648451079544401921?s=46&t=T3cXH3zhRV4z6deXU9rfJw
Private Message
Reply: 107 - 125
MuddyWaters
April 20, 2023, 10:32am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.59
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,291
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from fishcake63
We need better midfielders to compete at top of this lge , not only that out two main men lloyd & mcatee are not with us much longer so i think two centre halfs rb 3 midfielders 2 wingers two strikers minimum , scratches head with our messing about in windows this could take 6 windows

Most of our midfielders are contracted for next season!
Private Message
Reply: 108 - 125
diehardmariner
April 20, 2023, 10:41am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,789
Gold Stars: 545
That's interesting regards Morris/Green with their ball retention.  I would have thought Morris' ball retention rate would be much higher because he often plays a very simple, short pass to the nearest player to him.

If we're talking ideal world and we've got someone in that holding midfield role (again, talking about a 3-man midfield rather than a 2) then you want someone who isn't just there to break up play but also ping it about effectively too.  There's an art to retaining possession but then there's actually doing something with that possession too.  Not every pass has to be one that splits a defence apart.  But the pass needs a purpose, even if it's just slightly building up the chain by moving someone out of place slightly or picking up the tempo.  As harsh as it sounds, I don't see that when Morris passes the ball, it's akin to those free-kicks where one player moves it forward about three inches for the other player to then make a simple pass to someone else.

Morris' positional sense is ok but just that.  It's not exceptional.   He'll react to play quite play but he doesn't anticipate.  Again, it's very aspirational and difficult to get at this level but if we're deploying someone in that role they need to have something that really justifies it.  Unfortunately I don't think Morris has that in his locker.  Green on the otherhand does have his sheer tenacity and for all his criticism rather his actual footballing ability I think he's alright.  His anticipation of play is far better than he gets credit for, which is why he often manages to get in the way of opposition play.  Same with Waterfall, that doesn't continually happen by luck.

The emergence of Khouri will add a different element to how Hurst looks at his midfield next season, as will our ability/inability to hold onto Clifton.
Private Message
Reply: 109 - 125
13 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Player Contracts

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.