12 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next All Recommend Thread
DB
March 8, 2023, 11:44pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.35
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,065
Gold Stars: 391

What is "sickening" about the local MP teasing the PM about the Mighty Mariners beating his team? Good publicity for the club and the town.

If it is because she is not a dyed in the wool Town fan who went to Braintree to see us lose 5-0 then that is just daft.

The PM no less wished us well and hope we continue to cause a shock and whatever your politics that has to be a good thing.

Which stand does she have a season ticket in? Was she at the game? Was she in the queue for a Brighton ticket or even one of the 4,851 fans who went to the Newport game? I doubt if she will at the Rochdale as well, as the Topic says 'band Wagon Jumper'. It appears to me that she used Town's victory to promote herself to the TV audience of parliament.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 119
promotion plaice
March 8, 2023, 11:48pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,086
Gold Stars: 201
Quoted from DB

Which stand does she have a season ticket in? Was she at the game? It appears to me that she used Town's victory to promote herself GTFC to the TV audience of parliament.

Corrected for you DB.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 119
aldi_01
March 9, 2023, 6:57am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Nici is the archetypal modern day MP. Cares nothing for the constituents or the community they’re elected to serve, but works tirelessly to promote themselves.

Nici is stealing a living, plain and simple. I know a couple of hard tory voters who can’t stand her and have said they’d consider voting for a labour candidate in the next election…these are people who’d vote Tory if a pig wore a blue rosette.

Sadly, I suspect this happens at other clubs, especially the small ones like us who suddenly get a bit of publicity or success. It’s sickening really, political allegiance is irrelevant, I’d not be happy if we had a labour MP doing the same.

You got more sincerity from Pol Pot than you get from the likes of Nici…

I don’t think a politician or in our case, now a PM (a lying shite one at that) ‘promoting them’ is particularly good for any football club…

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 119
GrimExile
March 9, 2023, 8:04am
Live in Bucks born and bred in Grimsby.
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +6 / 0
Approval: +1,281
Gold Stars: 36
Quoted from aldi_01
Nici is the archetypal modern day MP. Cares nothing for the constituents or the community they’re elected to serve, but works tirelessly to promote themselves.

Nici is stealing a living, plain and simple. I know a couple of hard tory voters who can’t stand her and have said they’d consider voting for a labour candidate in the next election…these are people who’d vote Tory if a pig wore a blue rosette.

Sadly, I suspect this happens at other clubs, especially the small ones like us who suddenly get a bit of publicity or success. It’s sickening really, political allegiance is irrelevant, I’d not be happy if we had a labour MP doing the same.

You got more sincerity from Pol Pot than you get from the likes of Nici…

I don’t think a politician or in our case, now a PM (a lying shite one at that) ‘promoting them’ is particularly good for any football club…

What a nasty little post. Please everyone lighten up. There isn’t a single MP of whatever party who wouldn’t have done the same. It’s a little bit of fun, particularly as the PM is a Southampton supporter, and it’s given us a bit of positive exposure and publicity. Why the hatred and anger that is on this forum over something so trivial completely baffles me. It was a bit of fun. End of. #UTM.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 119
diehardmariner
March 9, 2023, 8:11am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,755
Gold Stars: 544
Nici does absolutely nothing for this area, we all know that and the sight of her brings up a little bit of sick in my mouth.

That clip is equally nauseating, all round. Nici waving a faux flag, Vickers nodding away like the Churchill dog and the fake guffaws from Sunak and his cronies on the front bench.

But, sadly, that's politics and especially PMQ's which is dominated by stupid statements like those and "Will the PM join me in congratulating the local scout group who raised 4p over the weekend with a jumble sale.". It's an opportunity for two-bit MP's to get themselves in their local rag and look like they're doing something.

I don't feel particularly comfortable with the recent Tory delegation to BP and photograph opps with 1878, which serves the politicians better than the club I think.

But I get it. Stockwood and co. are just playing the game. I hope to god we're not lumbered with this shower for too much longer, but you never know. Once you've cut your nose off it rarely grows back.
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 119
HertsGTFC
March 9, 2023, 8:28am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.24
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +23,042
Gold Stars: 234
PMQ's is a media event and a bit of a circus to be honest, yes it raises questions but I'm not sure it drives any real policy change, I despise the Tories and Lia Nici is archetypal of many MP's across all parties in fairness who want a political career rather than doing the job for the betterment of constituents and overall society.

Do I like that she referenced GTFC in that session? No. Do I like that the PM who no doubt we'd have to explain to him a football is round came in on "the joke"? No, in fact I like it even less as he referenced supporting us to win the cup and he hasn't got the golden touch at the moment as he?

You have to take things in context and this is pretty insignificant. There are other media opportunities that we should worry more about like when the PM asked a homeless man what his "plans for the weekend" where prior to Christmas when he was serving him breakfast in a refuge.

Quite simply these people are divorced from reality!!

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 119
pontoonlew
March 9, 2023, 8:45am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +9,098
Gold Stars: 181
I can’t stand Nici and I’ve only every voted Labour, but reactions like this are a part of the reason Labour are struggling to get in IMO.

If somebody chooses to vote, or stand as a Tory, then that is their right in a democracy. Throwing your toys out the pram every time they speak because they have different views to you makes you just as bad as they are IMO.

She’s mentioned our name in parliament because we beat the PMs premier league team to make the FA Cup quarter bloody finals, Stockwood mentioned it because his team have been mentioned in parliament for such an historic achievement. It’s really not that deep.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 119
Humbercod
March 9, 2023, 8:45am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.15
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: -3,503
Gold Stars: 83
Quoted from Heisenberg
Some of you lot need to lighten up a bit.

I’m no Tory myself, but if you can tell me what the Labour Party did for the area for the decades they were in, I’m all ears. Get ready for a Life of Brian moment……

Then your ears will be in for a long wait 🙃
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 119
chaos33
March 9, 2023, 8:55am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +18,016
Gold Stars: 362
Quoted from pontoonlew
I can’t stand Nici and I’ve only every voted Labour, but reactions like this are a part of the reason Labour are struggling to get in IMO.

If somebody chooses to vote, or stand as a Tory, then that is their right in a democracy. Throwing your toys out the pram every time they speak because they have different views to you makes you just as bad as they are IMO.

She’s mentioned our name in parliament because we beat the PMs premier league team to make the FA Cup quarter bloody finals, Stockwood mentioned it because his team have been mentioned in parliament for such an historic achievement. It’s really not that deep.

In what sense are Labour “struggling to get in”?
We haven’t had a GE for 4 years, in recent local elections they’ve trounced these depraved Tories and they’re streets ahead in the polls. They will have a huge majority at the next general election.

FWIW….I saw Nici in PMQ’s. Happy to get a mention/exposure, even though it’s from an incompetent sycophant supposedly representing the Town. PMQ’s generally are a sickening indicator of how dreadful our current parliamentary system is, but hey….UTM.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 119
Maringer
March 9, 2023, 9:05am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,699
Gold Stars: 189
The problem with PMQs is the lack of PMAs. It's an utterly worthless circus which the media laps up rather than actually doing some proper journalism. I don't really care which party leader's pre-prepared scripted line went down best in the chamber. I'm more interested in what they do (or generally don't do).

PMQs is about as worthwhile as Question Time.

Nici represents everything bad about modern day politics. She's in it for herself and doesn't give a monkeys about her constituency - everyone knows it.

Vickers obviously has more interest in looking after the constituents of his home town, but, on a national level, is too spineless to have an opinion of his own and will vote for any ghastly policy he's told to by his bosses. At least, I assume this is the case. I can't imagine an otherwise reasonable person for so many obviously appalling bills off their own bat.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 119
12 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › Talking of bandwagon jumpers

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.