Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › Places you've stayed abroad?
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 18 Guests

Places you've stayed abroad?

This thread currently has 1,739 views. Print
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
gtfc_chris
February 21, 2023, 12:38pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.48
Rep Score: +10 / 0
Approval: +1,522
Gold Stars: 118
Similar to cmackenzie4 I'm fortunate to have got around the world through the RAF. Hard to pick a favourite place as many are good for different reasons. Iceland, although a bit cold was really nice and we managed to find time to head to Blue Lagoon and a night out in Reykjavik. Best night out has to be San Diego in the Gaslamp Quarter, so these two probably top the list but with a fair few other places not far behind.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 33
FishOutOfWater
February 22, 2023, 12:18pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.14
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,578
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from cmackenzie4
I’ve been to Italy whilst serving in the Navy (1991) we went to Bari, Brindisi and Ancona, they were coastal ports with not that much to see, we’ve always fancied the Amalfi coast and that’s an holiday we will do eventually, the scenery looks breathtaking. Anyone else been there ?

I paid for my daughter and son-in-law to go there as a post-wedding present

They'd already had a honeymoon in the Caribbean but as I couldn't think of what else to get them I got them a "mini-moon"

The tales of their exploits and the photos / videos they took tell me enough Chris - it seems absolutely beautiful  
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 31 - 33
Knut Anders Fosters Voles
February 22, 2023, 2:15pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.84
Rep Score: +24 / -1
Approval: +8,832
Gold Stars: 556
Re: Amalfi coast…

I’m struggling to think of a more beautiful coastline; certainly that I’ve been to. Lofoten and Senja in Northern Norway perhaps.

I’ve stayed in Amalfi town twice, as an adult. To get the best out of a visit I’d recommend staying on the actual Costiera Amalfitana, rather than travelling in from Sorrento (***) or Salerno.

Amalfi, Ravello and Positano are stunning, although becoming more and more expensive by the year. That’s before you start paying for the world’s best lemons, the best tomatoes I’ve ever had from Massa Lubrense, washed down with bottles of Taurasi.

The Sentiero degli Dei (Path of the Gods) - I’ve walked it from Amalfi to the starting point in Bomerano and then done the actual walk on to Positano. Definitely take the boat back rather than being subjected to one of the most uncomfortable bus journeys I’ve ever been on.

I’ve only ever visited the Amalfi coast in Apr/May/Jun/Sep. I know people who’ve visited in August and hated it. It gets so busy and is sadly being spoiled by mass tourism.

I stayed in a hotel in Sorrento when I was a kid. Easter 95, with my parents and grandparents.

Three generations of the same family. Tension. Lots of tension. False smiles and more tension.

My Dad, livid at missing a Bank Holiday home match against Barnsley, eventually mellowed when he hunted down a three day copy of The Mail, to find out Town had beaten The Tykes 1-0.

Michael Aspel was reportedly staying in the hotel next to ours. My Mum hanging around the guarded entrance like a This Is Your Life groupie; craning her neck for a glimpse of the silver topped TV star.

The winds. The April libeccio winds. At times, Sorrento was more like a bracing Donna Nook than southern Italy. One strong gust flung the toggle of my Dad’s ‘Norris The Rubberman’ cagoule into his mother-in-law’s front teeth. An expensive, painful and long visit to a Naples emergency dentist did little to help the family tension.

Twenty-two years later, I returned to Sorrento with my mother-in-law, and my new family, on a day trip from Amalfi. It felt like package tour central. Tourist menus everywhere, sloppy, overcooked pasta, no sign of Michael Aspel. I made my excuses and whisked Mrs Voles back to Amalfi as fast as I could, to make sweet love under the leaves of a bitter, lemon tree.

*** I suppose one of the few benefits of staying in Sorrento is that’s it’s easier to visit Naples, Versuvius, Pompei, Caserta, Cassino, Capri, Ischia etc. You’ll still miss out though.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 33
GYinScuntland
February 26, 2023, 11:23pm

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.49
Rep Score: +21 / -6
Approval: +3,253
Gold Stars: 98
Cēsis in Latvia surprised me, about 60 miles from Riga.
We got the choo choo from the capital and I think the next stop was Moscow.
About the  same size as Brigg and I'm sure I heard it was the 9th largest town in the country.
We went down to the Gauja River one day through a ski resort and a steep forest to the river at the bottom of the valley.
Absolutely stunning scenery.
That in itself was bizarre as we hit the place during a heatwave in summer when the ski resort was obviously deserted.
Walking along the riverbank we were joined by a 'dog'.
It's a wolf I insisted only to be poo pooed by my mate until entering a clearing some geezer came out of a cabin, looked at the dog, backed back into it and slammed the door.
Yupz, wolf and we did the off.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 33
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › Places you've stayed abroad?

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.