GrimPol
June 30, 2022, 4:04pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +5 / -6
Approval: -787
Gold Stars: 76
Quoted from heppy88
Realistically, in the current financial climate, how can the club afford a new stadium? We are talking tens of millions of pounds. Without a generous benefactor, it really is pie in the sky, magical thinking

Boston Utd new stadium cost £12 mill a minimum.
4300 capacity 1700 seater.

New BP, 10,000 seaters £20 million minimum. Hell of a mortgage.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 50
grimps
June 30, 2022, 4:19pm
balderdash
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +21 / -19
Approval: +5,176
Gold Stars: 46
It’s not like we didn’t know we needed one is it ?

The continuous kicking the can down the road makes it more and more expensive and costs us more and more in lost revenue.
If we had managed to move more than  25 years ago when it was obvious it was needed we’d be sitting pretty now.

Currently we’re sat in a ground with only two stands that people want to sit in with open spaced corners being used for the staff to park their cars.
I honestly believe Blundell park has held us back for more than 2 decades and moving or renovating what we have should be made a priority
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 50
White_shorts
June 30, 2022, 4:33pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +1 / -4
Approval: -652
Gold Stars: 13
The council said after the election in May that they were not bidding again for funding for a western relief road.  In my opinion, that doesn't mean Grimsby West can't help to enable a new stadium.

The development comprises of four areas called Church Fields, St Nicholas View, Freshney Springs and Laceby Holt:

https://www.grimsbytelegraph.co.uk/news/local-news/3800-homes-shops-primary-school-5443612

The first two are adjacent to the A1136, which should be acceptable for stadium access.  St Nicholas View will include a primary school, community hub and village store.  A new stadium could incorporate all of those.  Bear in mind that schools are not usually open on Saturday afternoons and Tuesday evenings.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.5700496,-0.1480863,1306m/data=!3m1!1e3

If Freemo isn't happening, then Grimsby West is the next best location.  One plus point is that it would keep visiting fans well away from the town centre.

The cemetery extension land on Peaks Parkway is simply wrong, wrong, wrong in so many ways.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 50
HerveJosse
June 30, 2022, 4:50pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +6 / -3
Approval: +1,210
Gold Stars: 145
On new ground there is always a reason not to do it until someone does it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 50
Swansea_Mariner
June 30, 2022, 5:05pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +22 / -3
Approval: +6,482
Gold Stars: 63
I've made my views clear on this many times it's an imperative not an option and we need to get on with it.

Consider this thought on construction inflation what are we going to do if we faff about for another decade or two and then all of a sudden we have no choice but to build one new stand at Blundell Park because one of them finally can't limp on anymore?

What will one stand cost then 10m, 15m? We could have had a statium for a little more than that if we had got our act together a few years back,  a full stadium that would have been fit for purpose for the next 60-80 years.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 50
HertsGTFC
June 30, 2022, 5:09pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.25
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +23,035
Gold Stars: 234
First things first the club would not take out a mortgage for 10’s of millions of pounds to build a stadium. If it was that easy JSF and his cronies would have done it to satisfy their vanity hard on.

The only way this will happen will be a mix of club financing though the sale of the land BP sits on (provided we own it) private investment from a party/parties who can make money from the new location and government financing relating to regeneration etc.. I’m not sure whether the Council would want a part of it but there are a lot of stake holders to align and despite what people may think bigger priorities.

I suppose this perpetual thread will keep coming up alongside the “announce Bogle”, Papa John’s Trophy & Lincoln City obsession topics now that we’re back in the EFL, Scunny have finally proven their worthlessness and found their true level in the pyramid, Fenty has gone and anyone even suggesting “Hurst out” will quite rightly get carted off to the funny farm.

What I’m trying to say is that this is something we all know including Jason & Andrew and Jason has been on the position so just stop posting about it as it’s f****g stating the obvious. Enjoy what is a great ride at the moment and just trust the trustworthy to do what is right for the football club which they undoubtedly will.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 50
DB
June 30, 2022, 5:27pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.36
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,065
Gold Stars: 391
Quoted from HertsGTFC
First things first the club would not take out a mortgage for 10’s of millions of pounds to build a stadium. If it was that easy JSF and his cronies would have done it to satisfy their vanity hard on.

The only way this will happen will be a mix of club financing though the sale of the land BP sits on (provided we own it) private investment from a party/parties who can make money from the new location and government financing relating to regeneration etc.. I’m not sure whether the Council would want a part of it but there are a lot of stake holders to align and despite what people may think bigger priorities.

I suppose this perpetual thread will keep coming up alongside the “announce Bogle”, Papa John’s Trophy & Lincoln City obsession topics now that we’re back in the EFL, Scunny have finally proven their worthlessness and found their true level in the pyramid, Fenty has gone and anyone even suggesting “Hurst out” will quite rightly get carted off to the funny farm.

What I’m trying to say is that this is something we all know including Jason & Andrew and Jason has been on the position so just stop posting about it as it’s f****g stating the obvious. Enjoy what is a great ride at the moment and just trust the trustworthy to do what is right for the football club which they undoubtedly will.

My apologies to you Herts for starting the thread. However, it appears that the conditions of JT ( Full House ) will be met, given some of the posts on here. It, to me, given these circumstances seems a good reason to visit this the subject again.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 50
HertsGTFC
June 30, 2022, 5:37pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.25
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +23,035
Gold Stars: 234
Quoted from DB

My apologies to you Herts for starting the thread. However, it appears that the conditions of JT ( Full House ) will be met, given some of the posts on here. It, to me, given these circumstances seems a good reason to visit this the subject again.

You don’t have to apologise you silly sausage as I respect your opinion as you respect others views. In the relatively short time you posted on here you’ve added value as well as numerous correct predictions.

I do agree with the principle point you make as well but like I said in quite an over stated way we now have proper owners who have a track record mostly before buying shares of successfully doing things at the right time in the right way for the right reasons and we should trust in them.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 50
chaos33
June 30, 2022, 5:59pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +18,015
Gold Stars: 362
Quoted from Oly1987
Would it be possible to put seating in the corner between the main and osmond? could add some much needed extra seating.

There already are seats in the corner between the main and the Osmond. Do you mean between the Osmond and the findus? Isn’t the Fanzone there?
Think the imperial corner might have some scope. Maybe the Harrington but there’s a police box, catering etc there.

It’s clear we are outgrowing BP on this trajectory but there’s no quick fix. I’d start my limiting visitors to the seats in ‘the cage’ - between main and Osmond. Don’t know how many that holds (maybe 1000-1500?) but it’s more than some clubs give away fans in L2 and exclusively offering the Osmond to Town fans if demand is there.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 50
toontown
June 30, 2022, 6:17pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,273
Gold Stars: 70
Quoted from chaos33

There already are seats in the corner between the main and the Osmond. Do you mean between the Osmond and the findus? Isn’t the Fanzone there?
Think the imperial corner might have some scope. Maybe the Harrington but there’s a police box, catering etc there.

It’s clear we are outgrowing BP on this trajectory but there’s no quick fix. I’d start my limiting visitors to the seats in ‘the cage’ - between main and Osmond. Don’t know how many that holds (maybe 1000-1500?) but it’s more than some clubs give away fans in L2 and exclusively offering the Osmond to Town fans if demand is there.

Think it's only about 600 I'm afraid which is why we can't do that, it doesn't meet the 10% of capacity requirement.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 50
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › New Ground/ Stands

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.