Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › We should tread carefully
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 129 Guests

We should tread carefully

This thread currently has 7,183 views. Print
6 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
June 25, 2022, 8:35am
Guest User
Ok, so I will be putting money on Town to get promoted this season, BUT we must not get carried away just because we got promoted immediately out of the NL back to L2.  It's good to see all the optimism on this board but there are many other teams in this League that will be thinking the same as us.  Why do we think we will shoot straight through this League and into L1?  Yes, we have a nucleus of players  in the squad who got us promoted, but we only finished 6th in the NL, I think L2 will be a different kettle of fish!  Obviously a lot will depend on new signings that we get into the building to build what we hope will help us to make a promotion winning squad.  I am really looking forward to this season and hoping to see us in the promotion places at the end of the season

Don't bother red crossing me, I never look at my profile and couldn't care less if you do.  UTM  
Stockport Mariner
June 25, 2022, 8:49am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +3 / -2
Approval: +553
Gold Stars: 8
I’m not sure people do think we’ll get promoted. Hopefully we will be competitive, but getting promoted again would be a very tall order.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 58
pontoonlew
June 25, 2022, 9:12am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +9,091
Gold Stars: 178
We might win the title or we might crash and burn, who knows? Neither are likely to happen so I’ll just enjoy the ride and see where we end up without needing to overthink it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 58
PrestwichMariner
June 25, 2022, 9:14am
Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +281
Gold Stars: 5
Personally I'm just hoping to see a good competitive team out there and not being worried about relegation. Anything else will be a bonus!

Wearing badges is not enough in days like these!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 58
GollyGTFC
June 25, 2022, 9:17am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +6,045
Gold Stars: 358
We should be looking to have a good squad in place by September 1st and improve that squad in January.

We should be targeting a top half finish. We should be targeting the play-offs. If we come a bit short it wouldn’t be the end of the world as long as we continue to build.

We should make sure we don’t squander the momentum we have gained over the last 12 months.

Lincoln came 7th after they came up and won the league the following season. We should be targeting promotion within 2 seasons. We don’t want to get bogged down in L2 again.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 4 - 58
blundellpork
June 25, 2022, 9:19am

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +3 / -2
Approval: +1,665
Gold Stars: 32
After that poor run in the middle of the season, I was convinced we would make the playoffs, but falter once we played one of the top 3-4 teams.

We then went on an great run over the last 10 games resulting in that incredible play off campaign.

Whilst I expect Hurst to put a decent side together, I’d happily take mid table next season, and put the foundations in place for a run at the playoffs a year later.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 58
cmackenzie4
June 25, 2022, 9:21am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 11.25
Rep Score: +130 / -10
Approval: +14,345
Gold Stars: 34
I’m hoping we can be competitive this season, there are some goods teams in league 2 and it won’t be easy, I’m hoping for town to hold their own and will take it from there, we are in a very different situation than when we was promoted from the national league last time round, I’m hopeful for the future but I am realistic in that it will take time, I can definitely see us being in league 1 in the near future.

Grimsby and proud!
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 58
aldi_01
June 25, 2022, 9:25am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
A top half finish would be a success given we haven’t finished in the top half of the basement division in what feels like forever.

Of course, assuming we continue with the same culture and build a decent squad we could finish in the playoffs but it wouldn’t be the end of the world.

I don’t see anyone genuinely talking about promotion, more that people are still buzzing that we’ve found ourselves back up after a season and the playoff campaign being the greatest three games ever.

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 58
mariner91
June 25, 2022, 9:28am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,723
Gold Stars: 262
Puts money on Town to get promoted then proceeds to tell others not to get carried away. Classic.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 58
It Bites
June 25, 2022, 9:34am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.46
Rep Score: +4 / -10
Approval: +2,258
Gold Stars: 266
Quoted from 123614
Ok, so I will be putting money on Town to get promoted this season, BUT we must not get carried away just because we got promoted immediately out of the NL back to L2.  It's good to see all the optimism on this board but there are many other teams in this League that will be thinking the same as us.  Why do we think we will shoot straight through this League and into L1?  Yes, we have a nucleus of players  in the squad who got us promoted, but we only finished 6th in the NL, I think L2 will be a different kettle of fish!  Obviously a lot will depend on new signings that we get into the building to build what we hope will help us to make a promotion winning squad.  I am really looking forward to this season and hoping to see us in the promotion places at the end of the season

Don't bother red crossing me, I never look at my profile and couldn't care less if you do.  UTM  

It's about the full package. The new owners have given the fans Hope and Optimisim... That's all , as fans that most of us ever wanted really .
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 58
6 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › We should tread carefully

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.