2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
Knut Anders Fosters Voles
December 1, 2021, 7:39pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.84
Rep Score: +24 / -1
Approval: +8,832
Gold Stars: 556
Please can someone explain to me the point of restricting travel due to the new Omicron variant?

There must be thousands of undetected cases in the UK already and virtually every country in the world by now. Even Japan has cases.

Admittedly I’m biased because I’m due to be abroad at Christmas. I’ve no problem with paying the extra £15 for the PCR tests (as it helps with sequencing and detecting new variants) but don’t want the rules changing whilst I am away and having to rush back (again) to beat a quarantine.

The pre-departure tests to return to the UK are pointless because, with the exception of Portugal, none of the tests done on me have been administered properly. A quick slap of the swab on the tongue, a negative test receipt - €50 please. At least in Portugal they tickle your brain with the nasal swab.
Logged Offline
Private Message
blundellpork
December 1, 2021, 8:43pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +3 / -2
Approval: +1,681
Gold Stars: 34
Think the basic premise is to slow the spread rather than stop it, buying the scientists time to work out the impact to health, and effectiveness of vaccines.

No way of stopping the variant spreading across the country, and gives a window for the boosters to be rolled out. That said, it remains unclear how effective the booster will be.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 16
aldi_01
December 2, 2021, 6:20am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
I’d hazard a guess and say it’s more to do with additional cash that can be made, but then I’d be called a cynical conspiracist.

I remember when Covid was allegedly at its peak and international travel was banned, except it wasn’t and flights were taking off daily and whilst it was generally business folk and sports teams flying, it was still happening. I know this because a close family member flew to several places for work…he didn’t need to really yet was still able to.

A good friend lives in France and has been travelling a lot since being able to, mainly because he has friends all over the world due to work and being a musician. He’s said as much about the pointlessness of the tests given how they’re not administering them correctly, probably highlighting that most folk aren’t arsed anymore.

Ive argued since the outset that surely, something so serious should surely be tested for by a trained professional and not just done yourself…

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 16
Maringer
December 2, 2021, 7:23am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,699
Gold Stars: 189
In most countries the tests have been administered by medical professionals during the pandemic. Never here, however. I suspect this is because we knew we didn't have enough medical professionals to cope with the regular work to be done, let alone much swabbing. Another example of getting the bare minimum done to stop the NHS being completely overwhelmed but then just hoping that vaccination will eventually resolve the pandemic.

Blundellpork is entirely right about why it is a good idea to limit spread as much as possible. The aim is to massively ramp up the booster programme as the thought is, theoretically at least, that you should be very well protected against serious disease from Omicron if fully vaccinated.

It should also be noted that, if we can cut Delta infections right down before Omicron starts to take over as the dominant variant (as seems certain from the rate of spread in SA), I will ease some of the pressure on the NHS. Whether or not it will survive the Omicron wave remains to be seen. I think there's a fair to middling chance of a lockdown in January now. Hopefully, the vaccine programme will be effective enough that it can be avoided.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 16
ginnywings
December 2, 2021, 5:37pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.01
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,153
Gold Stars: 548
Omicron B is an anagram of No Crimbo.

Credit to Mike the Groundsman for that snippet.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 16
MuddyWaters
December 3, 2021, 6:49am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.59
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,291
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from ginnywings
Omicron B is an anagram of No Crimbo.

Credit to Mike the Groundsman for that snippet.

Omicron is an anagram of moronic. Make of that what you want.
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 16
aldi_01
December 3, 2021, 7:04am

Barley Wine Drinker
Extremely well timed these variants…

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 16
Maringer
December 3, 2021, 10:33am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,699
Gold Stars: 189
Christ on a bike, don't start with the conspiracy nonsense. Yes, of course these variants are developing to ruin our Christmas break. That's clearly the end game of viral evolution.

Either that, or The Man wants to damage our economies and shut down businesses so is carefully releasing variants.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 16
ginnywings
December 3, 2021, 12:30pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.01
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,153
Gold Stars: 548
Don't know what the big deal is about Xmas anyway. Over rated binge fest.

We are buggering off in our camper away from the madness and the germs.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 16
aldi_01
December 3, 2021, 12:43pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from ginnywings
Don't know what the big deal is about Xmas anyway. Over rated binge fest.

We are buggering off in our camper away from the madness and the germs.

So you’re the reason the West Yorkshire Old Bill have shat their pants…

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 16
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › International travel / Covid

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.