September 30, 2021, 9:39am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.84
Rep Score: +24 / -1
Approval: +8,832
Gold Stars: 556
Don't panic they said.

So I didn't.

Now I have 10 miles of petrol left and all of the many petrol stations within 10 miles of me are either closed completely or have no unleaded. On the odd occasion a petrol station gets a delivery, the Facebook mob descends in their 4x4s and strip it dry within a couple of hours. It has been like this since Friday.

Luckily I can work from home and have no care responsibilities etc but I can see why people who rely on their vehicles to live or work did panic last week.

It's going to take time to sort in our area because those that have 3/4 tanks will be unnerved into filling up prematurely as soon as a delivery arrives.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 56
aldi_01
October 1, 2021, 8:24am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
To be fair, around town I’m yet to find one that’s run out, some have limited it but they haven’t even run out of that expensive unleaded that’s meant to be better but no fornicator buys yet…

Both shell garages near my house had plenty, morrisons, Asda, and the ones down Grimsby/Cleethorpe Road.

I guess it does prove just how easily people are persuaded…makes you wonder if the last two years could’ve been a lot less than they were had people the ability to make their own mind up and not trust sensationalised media…

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 56
Maringer
October 1, 2021, 11:44pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,699
Gold Stars: 189
I filled up (E10 unleaded) at Tesco in Cleethorpes today. Less than a quarter of a tank so I thought I'd top up if there wasn't a queue. Didn't need to wait at all. However, I'm well aware that it is different in N.E. Lincs in comparison to many areas. My brother in law (Norwich) is struggling to get fuel and we were due a delivery at work from the south east yesterday which had to be cancelled because the driver couldn't get any fuel.

It all depends where you live, really. In N.E. Lincs, the vast majority of folk work very close to where they live. Due to our 'end of the line' situation due to geography and transport links, there won't be a huge amount of long-distance commuting going on in our neck of the woods. Once people have filled up, it isn't likely that many of them will need to again for a week or two so few issues with fuel. In heavily populated areas or places from where people do a lot of commuting, not the same situation.

You'd also hope that the refinery quite literally down the road might mean that restocking local filling stations shouldn't be too much of an issue!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 56
KingstonMariner
October 2, 2021, 12:43am
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.03
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Don’t worry. All those German expats are going to come to our aid. The ones with driving licences from before this century are eligible to drive 7.5 tonne vehicles. 😆

Besides, it’ll all balance out. Pretty soon because there aren’t enough agricultural and food processing workers there won’t be much food to transport so those drivers can be redirected to driving petrol tankers, and there won’t be anything worth driving to the shops for anyway.

It took the Soviets successive five year plans to achieve such shortages. Boris has done it in under two years. Stalin was half-baked by comparison. 😂

Three cheers for Comrade Boris and all his friends in the Red Wall. Fraternal greetings from Soviet peoples. We salute everything you are doing for the cause.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 56
Hants.Mariner
October 4, 2021, 1:35pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +98
Gold Stars: 1
We were out on Saturday and driving home from Reading in about fifteen miles we passed eight empty petrol stations.

Here in the South the situation is far worse that anyone will admit. Anyone driving to Woking on Saturday I am working here this week, and this morning walked past three dry stations.

I wouldn't be surprised if Boris the great self-protector doesn't lock us down in the next few weeks citing Covid worries, but really just using that as an excuse for the lack of fuel and empty shelves in all the shops.

Crazy times.

The world weighs on my shoulders
But what am I to do
You sometimes drive me crazy
But I worry about you
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 56
aldi_01
October 5, 2021, 6:21am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Quoted from Hants.Mariner
We were out on Saturday and driving home from Reading in about fifteen miles we passed eight empty petrol stations.

Here in the South the situation is far worse that anyone will admit. Anyone driving to Woking on Saturday I am working here this week, and this morning walked past three dry stations.

I wouldn't be surprised if Boris the great self-protector doesn't lock us down in the next few weeks citing Covid worries, but really just using that as an excuse for the lack of fuel and empty shelves in all the shops.

Crazy times.

Nah…the army will sort it out…well that’s what they’re telling us.

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 56
KingstonMariner
October 5, 2021, 11:21am
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.03
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Apparently there has been no fuel panic in Northern Ireland. I wonder why that is. It can’t be because it is still effectively part of the Single Market, because the driver shortage has nothing to do with Brexit.

Turkeys are a lot more relaxed about voting for Christmas this year.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 56
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › The "Fuel" problem

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.