Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › All the play-off games
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 80 Guests

All the play-off games

This thread currently has 23,425 views. Print
22 Pages Prev ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 Next All Recommend Thread
Limerick Mariner
May 29, 2021, 5:41pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,769
Gold Stars: 138
Quoted from Squinter

Last time they where in the top division they were playing against us !!

Another that we could regard as a similar-sized club back in my youth, reach the prem - like Bournemouth. They've a new stadium, 20k, that will be full every week and they are now a size of club that we can never aspire to be without a new ground. Here's a nostaglia trip from when we were at the same level with similar crowds etc
[url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIc8c9H4R2A[/url]

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 130 - 211
Nelly GTFC
May 29, 2021, 5:47pm
'Usually Positive'
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.84
Rep Score: +26 / -5
Approval: +2,776
Gold Stars: 31
See this on BBC Sport app.

[tweet]1398672143936901120[/tweet]

Performance / Top Scorers / Assists / Discipline - Grimsby Town Statistics >> [url]https://www.espn.co.uk/football/team/squad/_/id/386/eng.grimsby[/url]
Form Over Last 10 Games - Grimsby Town >> [url]https://www.footballwebpages.co.uk/grimsby-town/form-guide/ten[/url]
Player Contracts - Grimsby Town >> [url]http://codalmighty.com/site/ca.php?article=4202[/url]
Links on football clubs inc Grimsby Town >> [url]https://footballclubforums.com/[/url]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 131 - 211
tashee69
May 29, 2021, 6:15pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.32
Rep Score: +28 / -4
Approval: +970
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from GollyGTFC
Freddie Woodman obviously not as good as his dad at saving penalties at Wembley.

Went to the Bromley v Notts County game. Andy Woodman seems to have got Bromley going again. They played some nice stuff and should have won by more.

Baldrick ! The only impression you can do is that of a man with no talent !!
GTFC team 09/10 - Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick.
Private Message
Reply: 132 - 211
Teestogreen
May 29, 2021, 6:18pm

Champagne Drinker
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: -163
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from Limerick Mariner

Another that we could regard as a similar-sized club back in my youth, reach the prem - like Bournemouth. They've a new stadium, 20k, that will be full every week and they are now a size of club that we can never aspire to be without a new ground. Here's a nostaglia trip from when we were at the same level with similar crowds etc

I was at that game - remember the Lew Chatterley and Dave Worthington strikes. Not sure how Clive Wigginton gets mistaken for Phil Hubbard though. Alan Gauden - what a gem for £5000.

Blundell Park - The Home of Grimsby Town Football Club (still)  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 133 - 211
Limerick Mariner
May 29, 2021, 6:37pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from Teestogreen

I was at that game - remember the Lew Chatterley and Dave Worthington strikes. Not sure how Clive Wigginton gets mistaken for Phil Hubbard though. Alan Gauden - what a gem for £5000.

I don't think I was. It was a pre-Christmas game - mother would have insisted we all went shopping. I remember getting into a right strop one time when my mum insisted on us going shopping instead on the day of a Scunny game - in turn I insisted on putting my scarf out of the window even though we weren't going to the game and she kept telling me to pull it in. My Dad was going for the quiet life...

Interesting looking at the packed Osmond - I checked the attendance it was 8,934 so not that many for the old, nearly all terracing, BP - then I twigged - in those days everyone changed ends at half time - the Pontoon and half the Barrat would have been empty

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 134 - 211
cmackenzie4
May 29, 2021, 7:08pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 11.23
Rep Score: +130 / -10
Approval: +14,345
Gold Stars: 34
[quote=231]

Thanks for sharing this.

I would have been 2 at the time, I’d have been living in Duke street, that third goal was just stunning, my first ever game watching Town was in 1976.

Grimsby and proud!
Private Message
Reply: 135 - 211
ginnywings
May 29, 2021, 10:45pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.01
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,153
Gold Stars: 548
That was my first season as a regular at BP. Remember that Chatterley goal like it was yesterday.

Thought it would always be like that.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 136 - 211
Poojah
May 29, 2021, 10:56pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +30,002
Gold Stars: 1,534
Quoted from cmackenzie4
[quote=231]

Thanks for sharing this.

I would have been 2 at the time, I’d have been living in Duke street, that third goal was just stunning, my first ever game watching Town was in 1976.

You don’t even have to go back as far as the 70s. From 2000 up to our first non-league relegation in 2010, their average attendance was a fraction over 500 larger than ours. We spent the first three seasons in the league above them, and five below them in total, so I’d argue it evens out. Particularly when you consider we only finished in the top half of any division in one of those seasons.

Brentford are exceptional by the way, let’s not make light of their achievement. What they have done is not easy. But anyone who says that this club can never aspire to be anything more than a League One also ran is wrong in my opinion. Granted, we’d all love to be a League One also ran right now, but there are many chapters to this club’s history, and future, and we should never unduly write ourselves off.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 137 - 211
promotion plaice
May 29, 2021, 11:08pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,085
Gold Stars: 201

Next up.....Blackpool v Lincoln.

I'll be watching, come on Blackpool.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 138 - 211
Limerick Mariner
May 29, 2021, 11:10pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from Poojah

You don’t even have to go back as far as the 70s. From 2000 up to our first non-league relegation in 2010, their average attendance was a fraction over 500 larger than ours. We spent the first three seasons in the league above them, and five below them in total, so I’d argue it evens out. Particularly when you consider we only finished in the top half of any division in one of those seasons.

Brentford are exceptional by the way, let’s not make light of their achievement. What they have done is not easy. But anyone who says that this club can never aspire to be anything more than a League One also ran is wrong in my opinion. Granted, we’d all love to be a League One also ran right now, but there are many chapters to this club’s history, and future, and we should never unduly write ourselves off.

Interesting - if you account for the larger away followings at GP (I'm sure they would have been) it would be even closer or parity.

With the combination of the Premiership cash plus the stadium they have now made a quantum leap - which medium-sized London clubs have been able to do when they have improved or moved stadium. Going back to the late 70s early 80s you could argue that Town were as big as Fulham, Millwall and Charlton! Ok so we had 3 exceptional seasons on the trot, but none of those clubs would have averaged 11k at home in Division 3 apart from in a promotion season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 139 - 211
22 Pages Prev ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › All the play-off games

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.