Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Hurst Out
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 46 Guests

Hurst Out

This thread currently has 29,254 views. Print
23 Pages Prev ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ... Next All Recommend Thread
MarinerWY
March 3, 2021, 1:29pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +11 / -5
Approval: +1,992
Gold Stars: 47
Quoted from ginnywings
Sacking the manager is a sure fire way to salvation. We keep doing it and look at us soar up the leagues.

The argument seems to be that sacking the manager is correct because we couldn't get any worse, yet we keep sacking managers and we keep getting worse, so there is clearly something else going on here. It's a black hole of a club with a losing mentality right through from top to bottom. Years and years of poor decisions, underfunding and a general malaise has seen us skimming along as bottom feeders, repeating the same mistakes over and over.

Unfortunately, the consortium looks to have come along just too late to save us from near certain demise from the football league and everyone is looking for a scapegoat. Paul Hurst is that scapegoat.

Every fan thinks he knows the answer. If only he would put player X in position Y, and if we played this formation over that formation, we would suddenly become a winning side. I can see it, why can't he? He must be useless at his job, so let's find some mythical manager from non league who will think the same as we do. It's a delusion.

I'm no fan of PH, I've made that clear many times, but it's not because he doesn't know how to organise a side to get results, because he does most of the time. He was the right appointment in my opinion and a natural fit. It hasn't worked so far, but there's no way of knowing if anyone else would have had any more success, given the hand they were dealt.

PH has managed six clubs, four of which he got to play off finals and three of which he got promoted. He also saved Shrewsbury from near certain relegation before he took them to the play offs. That is the record of a man who gets results more often than not and I can't think of anyone else we could have attracted with that level of competence.

I've switched off emotionally from GTFC and am of the opinion that what will be will be. We've waited desperately for new owners with new direction and it finally looks like we have our wish, but in true GTFC style, there  looks likely to be one last twist of the knife to the guts before we can start to look forward. I can feel the anger and frustration of the fans emanating from the pages of this forum, but I don't think changing the manager will stave of the dreaded drop.

We are not down yet, and until we are, I live in hope, but that hope isn't in the form of yet another manager, so for me, we go with what we've got and hope for the best.

Apparently I've used up my star post for the day, but if I could take it back I'd put it on this post with big intercourse-off bells on it.
Private Message
Reply: 110 - 223
HarrogateMariner
March 3, 2021, 1:39pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +479
Gold Stars: 23

This is exactly what should have happened. It was obvious in December what was coming our way unless we were proactive and got some quality in. We didn't need 11, maybe 4 or 5 of better quality and we needed them right at the start of the window.

Some may say they were never going to come, but we had quite a decent story to tell them - the takeover had been agreed, we planned to go places next season, oh and by the way we are going to pay you over the odds if you help keep us up.

We did not do any of that, we waited till most of January had gone to get the dregs and of course we are now paying the ultimate price.

I never expected the above to happen of course; it never does. There is zero urgency or desire at GTFC to save anything, to create anything or to pay anything for anything decent.

Hurst overrated his abilities to save us and to my mind gave up on Holloway's players far too easily - players who earlier in the season were better than the has been he brought in.

One win so far and the performances getting worse. I would sack him and let a combination of Dave Moore and Ben Davies try to salvage something as a last throw of the dice.

Last 2 points spot on for me. I have said it before, I genuinely think we have some ok players but Hurst has removed any confidence from them. When he came in it was an instant message of you are not good enough. He was probably right about most players, but what about giving everyone a clean slate and giving them the chance to prove themselves to a new manager. Especially the young players, their confidence must be extinct. He then obviously thought he would be able to bring better players in than he has.

For me I would give it to Moore and Davies rest of season. At least Moore will be capable of motivating the players and would only play those who give 100%. I believe whatever we do, we are down, if Hurst stays or not. But let's go down with a fight. Of course Hurst is not to blame for all this, we all know who is ultimately responsible, but no one can argue that Hurst hasn't been a major disappointment. Absolutely under no circumstances should he be allowed to rebuild and be in charge next season. He is not the long term answer. End of season we will have new owners, time for a fresh start.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 111 - 223
Tommy
March 3, 2021, 1:40pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,869
Gold Stars: 76
Very balanced and level-headed posts from ginnywings and DHM.

I'm not quite as relaxed about the situation as you sound ginny. Perhaps because I've not emotionally switched off from it yet. I'm still absolutely seething we've been allowed to drift into this position again fighting for FL survival. And it winds me up watching every week (or twice a week at the moment - joy!!!) watching players just belting the ball anywhere and unable to play football.

I'd add to DHM's post, that we weren't in the bottom 2 under Holloway. Whilst things weren't great, I don't think we were destined for the drop at that time. We certainly weren't as dire and hopeless as we are now. One point from 2 games under Davies/Moore and 1 win in 9 under Hurst and we now look doomed.

I know Holloway is rightly viewed as a madman, a bottler and probably a dodgy character that was well involved in the Alex May stuff, but I'm questioning whether, had he been given the boosted budget PH had in January, presumably with the removal of covid clauses from new contracts, could IH have brought some better players in than he was able to in August (just as he did last January) and keep us out of the bottom 2.

Will get shot down by many for that no doubt. But I'm just merely posing a question and trying to look at it objectively without being influenced by Holloway the person, or the fact that Hurst got us promoted once upon a time.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 112 - 223
FishOutOfWater
March 3, 2021, 1:46pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.14
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,590
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from DB
Hurst said :-

We never got started in the first half.

'That performance was not anywhere close to what I expect, and I think if the players are totally honest, what they expect.

Second half was better, but it could only go one way realistically. I have to say I thought the subs had a positive impact for us. They looked like they wanted to be out there.'

It was his bloody team out there playing to his game plan. He changed nothing at half time and then tells us the changes he did make had a positive impact.
They played that bad in the first 65 mins that any impact would be positive because it was impossible to get any worse. So he admits his thoughts were we are going to loose (it could only go one way).

The sooner he goes the better resign now.

I agree his team and his game plan

But part of that plan won't have been players not being able to pass the ball to their team-mates, not making reckless tackles, not making runs and creating space, not losing players they should be marking

We all have opinions about who should have been out there and what the tactics should be, but if these professional footballers repeatedly fail to do the basics, then as someone else said above, they are letting the club, the manager, the fans and themselves down

And on that showing last night, the only way is down  

Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 113 - 223
FishOutOfWater
March 3, 2021, 1:50pm
Barley Wine Drinker

In any other line of work, if an individual was constantly under performing in their job, they would be sacked, like Managers are, but these incompetent useless bar stewards just turn up for a few hours of 'training' each week, and then fail to perform during the most important 90 minutes of the week, time and time again, and yet they still receive a steady income for doing sodomist all.

Head on nail.... they're just looking to take the money and run

Except they're mainly not even bothering with the run part
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 114 - 223
FishOutOfWater
March 3, 2021, 2:08pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from louth_in_the_south
If fenty hadn’t have fooked about with the takeover last year when there was an offer on the table GTFC wouldn’t be in this position. Simple as that .

Genuine question...

If the takeover is dependent on EFL approval, what will happen if we lose our EFL status?

Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 115 - 223
exiledmeggie
March 3, 2021, 2:21pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +1 / -6
Approval: -208
Gold Stars: 20
In my job, probation is about 13 weeks. Normally by around this time, one would be given very strict advice on their future!

Living in Exile since 1980, but still have Black and White blood!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 116 - 223
Posh Harry
March 3, 2021, 2:40pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -3
Approval: +4,376
Gold Stars: 36
Quoted from FishOutOfWater

Genuine question...

If the takeover is dependent on EFL approval, what will happen if we lose our EFL status?

If we have been relegated before we get approval then something has gone seriously wrong in the background. We will still be a member of the EFL until at least May.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 117 - 223
pontoonlew
March 3, 2021, 3:28pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +9,109
Gold Stars: 182
Quoted from Tommy
Very balanced and level-headed posts from ginnywings and DHM.

I'm not quite as relaxed about the situation as you sound ginny. Perhaps because I've not emotionally switched off from it yet. I'm still absolutely seething we've been allowed to drift into this position again fighting for FL survival. And it winds me up watching every week (or twice a week at the moment - joy!!!) watching players just belting the ball anywhere and unable to play football.

I'd add to DHM's post, that we weren't in the bottom 2 under Holloway. Whilst things weren't great, I don't think we were destined for the drop at that time. We certainly weren't as dire and hopeless as we are now. One point from 2 games under Davies/Moore and 1 win in 9 under Hurst and we now look doomed.

I know Holloway is rightly viewed as a madman, a bottler and probably a dodgy character that was well involved in the Alex May stuff, but I'm questioning whether, had he been given the boosted budget PH had in January, presumably with the removal of covid clauses from new contracts, could IH have brought some better players in than he was able to in August (just as he did last January) and keep us out of the bottom 2.

Will get shot down by many for that no doubt. But I'm just merely posing a question and trying to look at it objectively without being influenced by Holloway the person, or the fact that Hurst got us promoted once upon a time.

Taking the situation of Holloway off the pitch out of it (Alex May, Dodgy Deals and seemingly a bit of a knob), I don't think any of what you've said is up for debate.

I've said it many times before, Holloway (for his many faults) was badly let down by Phil Day in the summer, had we had Vernam, Davis, Whitehouse and Clarke in this squad we absolutely categorically wouldn't be in this position and that is Philip Days (and Fenty's) fault.

He then built a 'squad' of players who he wrongly thought he could train to be better with a few journeymen to boot, the problem is, that method seemed to work better than the absolute shambles that Hurst has built. Look back at Leyton Orient and Cheltenham away, there is not a cat in hells chance that Paul Hursts side would produce those displays. Holloways 'style' wasn't ideal most of the time (passing out from the back etc) but my god at least we tried in some way to win a football match.

One of our best players is Morais, the only player that Holloway signed once he knew he'd copulated up the summer recruitment, that worries me a lot. Either Holloways recruitment would've got better in January or Morais is just as bad as the first lot and this 'second wave' are worse.

I absolutely don't think Hurst should go, but IMO we're seeing exactly the sort of stuff we became used to in the Conference. These strange decisions, negative tactics and stubbornness to change are not new things and nobody should be surprised.

I've cooled off slightly and I'm still safe in the knowledge that despite how bad it is on the pitch, the table dictates that we're still absolutely in this, but the buck now stops firmly at Hursts door.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 118 - 223
hampshiremariner
March 3, 2021, 5:06pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +1,055
Gold Stars: 36
Quoted from ginnywings
Sacking the manager is a sure fire way to salvation. We keep doing it and look at us soar up the leagues.

The argument seems to be that sacking the manager is correct because we couldn't get any worse, yet we keep sacking managers and we keep getting worse, so there is clearly something else going on here. It's a black hole of a club with a losing mentality right through from top to bottom. Years and years of poor decisions, underfunding and a general malaise has seen us skimming along as bottom feeders, repeating the same mistakes over and over.

Unfortunately, the consortium looks to have come along just too late to save us from near certain demise from the football league and everyone is looking for a scapegoat. Paul Hurst is that scapegoat.

Every fan thinks he knows the answer. If only he would put player X in position Y, and if we played this formation over that formation, we would suddenly become a winning side. I can see it, why can't he? He must be useless at his job, so let's find some mythical manager from non league who will think the same as we do. It's a delusion.

I'm no fan of PH, I've made that clear many times, but it's not because he doesn't know how to organise a side to get results, because he does most of the time. He was the right appointment in my opinion and a natural fit. It hasn't worked so far, but there's no way of knowing if anyone else would have had any more success, given the hand they were dealt.

PH has managed six clubs, four of which he got to play off finals and three of which he got promoted. He also saved Shrewsbury from near certain relegation before he took them to the play offs. That is the record of a man who gets results more often than not and I can't think of anyone else we could have attracted with that level of competence.

I've switched off emotionally from GTFC and am of the opinion that what will be will be. We've waited desperately for new owners with new direction and it finally looks like we have our wish, but in true GTFC style, there  looks likely to be one last twist of the knife to the guts before we can start to look forward. I can feel the anger and frustration of the fans emanating from the pages of this forum, but I don't think changing the manager will stave of the dreaded drop.

We are not down yet, and until we are, I live in hope, but that hope isn't in the form of yet another manager, so for me, we go with what we've got and hope for the best.

I agree with what you have written. I am emotionally drained by GTFC. It has been going on for 15 years now. No progress. We have just gone into a spiral of decline. Always promises but nothing happens. A great club is in the gutter. I keep hoping that we will avoid relegation in the end but, in truth, I have reconciled my mind to it happening.
Whatever Hurst did he was on a loser. I am astonished at those who are laying into him. This situation is ingrained into the heart of the club and has been building up for years and people expect him to rescue it in a matter of weeks.  Get real.
When the new people get to grips with this we can hopefully rebuild. But Hurst should not be the scapegoat for the poor management of others who have been running the club over the last decade and more.
I was shot to pieces by someone for stating this and got a catalogue of Hurst's alleged errors and now, apparently, some want Holloway back.
Don't expect miracles, folks. They rarely happen.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 119 - 223
23 Pages Prev ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Hurst Out

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.