Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › Brexit deal agreed
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 27 Guests

Brexit deal agreed

This thread currently has 25,870 views. Print
55 Pages Prev ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Maringer
October 29, 2021, 1:07pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,727
Gold Stars: 189
The 'independent' Office of Budget Responsibility (inverted commas required because it's really just another arm of the Treasury), seems to think that Brexit will cause a 4% hit to GDP which is about twice as high as the once in a century global pandemic we're currently trying to deal with where they are forecasting a 2% hit.

The main concern here is that due to the 'closeness' with the Treasury, the OBR forecasts have always been hopelessly optimistic in most regards. Forecasts from other analysts are closer to a 6% hit from Brexit which would be about the same as the recession caused by the Global Financial Crisis back in 2008.

The thing not to forget is that this is a hit which takes you below the pre-existing trend so any 'growth' (it's a tricky concept) is lost forever and it takes years to get back to the place where you were originally.

Apart from that, it's going swimmingly. A handy 'Fishing war' brewing as well, I see, so there will be some silly sabre-rattling which will help Macron and Johnson, but most definitely not the fishermen in the UK or France.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 200 - 545
ginnywings
October 29, 2021, 9:14pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.01
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,153
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from Maringer
The 'independent' Office of Budget Responsibility (inverted commas required because it's really just another arm of the Treasury), seems to think that Brexit will cause a 4% hit to GDP which is about twice as high as the once in a century global pandemic we're currently trying to deal with where they are forecasting a 2% hit.

The main concern here is that due to the 'closeness' with the Treasury, the OBR forecasts have always been hopelessly optimistic in most regards. Forecasts from other analysts are closer to a 6% hit from Brexit which would be about the same as the recession caused by the Global Financial Crisis back in 2008.

The thing not to forget is that this is a hit which takes you below the pre-existing trend so any 'growth' (it's a tricky concept) is lost forever and it takes years to get back to the place where you were originally.

Apart from that, it's going swimmingly. A handy 'Fishing war' brewing as well, I see, so there will be some silly sabre-rattling which will help Macron and Johnson, but most definitely not the fishermen in the UK or France.

Yep! Always thought it was a stupid idea and would end up a sh1t show, but it has gone more to pot than I imagined.

Those sunlit uplands are way way out of sight and not getting any closer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 201 - 545
aldi_01
October 30, 2021, 8:19am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Quoted from ginnywings

Yep! Always thought it was a stupid idea and would end up a sh1t show, but it has gone more to pot than I imagined.

Those sunlit uplands are way way out of sight and not getting any closer.

I’m baffled by the fact people didn’t think it would go to excrement…it’s almost as if some people just can’t see what’s staring them in the face.

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 202 - 545
chaos33
October 30, 2021, 8:42am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.57
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,991
Gold Stars: 363
Quoted from Stadium

Any update on this ??

Of course there isn’t an update. Because there isn’t anything to point at. Even those who wanted to end ‘freedom of movement’ seemed to forget that it was a two way street that would impact their own scope to travel in Europe without restrictions and charges, and this is to say nothing of the chronic labour shortages we are experiencing as a result.  I’ve got little respect for people who care more about the colour of their passport than the ease with which they can use it.
As has been said elsewhere - in brexit, we are probably the first country in the world to impose economic sanctions on itself. Brexit is palpably a sh1tshow and an act of self harm. It’s not even debatable now. Still, at least we’ve got a p1ssed up dandelion of a prime minister who can waffle some ludicrous empty slogans and set out the non strategy that ‘believing in Britain’ will see us through.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 203 - 545
Stadium
October 30, 2021, 2:08pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.77
Rep Score: +6 / 0
Approval: +1,926
Gold Stars: 19
Quoted from aldi_01

I’m baffled by the fact people didn’t think it would go to excrement…it’s almost as if some people just can’t see what’s staring them in the face.

But don't forget they knew exactly what they were voting for.
And trusted Boris Johnson.
Got to laugh really.

“There's nothing wrong with the car except that it's on fire.”- Murray Walker
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 204 - 545
LH
October 30, 2021, 7:58pm

Posts Per Day: 1.91
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,617
Gold Stars: 177
The people who wanted a different colour passport are the sort of people who don’t even have one anyway and kid themselves that a week in Cornwall is as good as going for a beach holiday abroad. They’ll also say that English sparkling wine is nicer than Champagne or Prosecco so we don’t need to import any anyway. Gahhhh!
Private Message
Reply: 205 - 545
DB
October 31, 2021, 6:08am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.34
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,069
Gold Stars: 391
The problem with Brexit was that after the referendum our politicians in government at that time failed us. Cameron did a runner, we weren't meant to vote leave. May was cosying up to the EU which left us with Boris.

He promised out within a year and won a snap election. Whilst he kept his promise he's failed at everything else, so we are where we are. Stuck with Boris, the Tory's darling, until the next election.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 206 - 545
ginnywings
October 31, 2021, 7:37pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from DB
The problem with Brexit was that after the referendum our politicians in government at that time failed us. Cameron did a runner, we weren't meant to vote leave. May was cosying up to the EU which left us with Boris.

He promised out within a year and won a snap election. Whilst he kept his promise he's failed at everything else, so we are where we are. Stuck with Boris, the Tory's darling, until the next election.

Boris famously sways with the political wind. At various times, to suit himself and his ambitions of course, he has been for the EU, then against it.

If you were of an insane disposition and decided to trawl through his many newspaper columns, books and speeches, you can find arguments for and against just about anything. He once said that he was a bit of a fan of the European Union and that if we didn't have one, we would invent something like it. He was also once in favour of Turkey joining, which he later back tracked on.

He famously wrote an unpublished article favouring staying in Europe. He later said he wrote the unfinished article as "a mental exercise".

In short. all of this was known when he hoodwinked the country with his get Brexit done stance, tapping into the mood of the nation. Had it not been for Dominic Cummings and his very clever campaign of lies, it's more than possible that the country would have voted remain.

Boris is a brazen liar but clever enough to know when to stick and when to twist.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 207 - 545
Yossarian
October 31, 2021, 11:23pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +1,097
Gold Stars: 19
I'm a bit drunk and was trawling through this thread out of nostalgia but then I I re-read it and I  recall how much people have been done-over my someone who went to Eton and is part of an elite family whose father was employed by the European Commision,  whose son Alexender de Pfeffel Johnson's education was paid for by the EU (and by me and you).....    and who is doing this all for a bit of an ego trip;

He is not an idiot - that is the mistake.  He is part of a very well co-ordinated propoganda campaign.  A useful idiot.

The same mistake with Rees Mogg is to think he is smart - just listen to his words, but imagiine them in a Barnsley accent - then you  will see them for what they are.

Feck.. .... back to my glass of booze....
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 208 - 545
ginnywings
October 31, 2021, 11:50pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from Yossarian
I'm a bit drunk and was trawling through this thread out of nostalgia but then I I re-read it and I  recall how much people have been done-over my someone who went to Eton and is part of an elite family whose father was employed by the European Commision,  whose son Alexender de Pfeffel Johnson's education was paid for by the EU (and by me and you).....    and who is doing this all for a bit of an ego trip;

He is not an idiot - that is the mistake.  He is part of a very well co-ordinated propoganda campaign.  A useful idiot.

The same mistake with Rees Mogg is to think he is smart - just listen to his words, but imagiine them in a Barnsley accent - then you  will see them for what they are.

Feck.. .... back to my glass of booze....

Wise man.

Boris drives me to drink too.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 209 - 545
55 Pages Prev ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › Brexit deal agreed

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.