19 Pages Prev ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 Next All Recommend Thread
moosey_club
July 14, 2020, 7:33pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,339
Gold Stars: 229
So the earlier blaming of the EFL has proved to be a red herring, it comes down to money, we made him an offer on reduced terms which gives him freedom to go were he likes.
Having read the rules the club have decided they dont have a leg to stand on to go to tribunal. If only we had someone on the board who knew their way around legal documents, law, contracts etc.....            

I am not advocating breaking the bank to sign a player with the record and stats of Vernam but surely we need to be a little bit savvy to consider he may well be looking to better himself anyway so at least offer a contract not on reduced terms,  just to protect ourselves from him just walking for free.  If he was going to go anyway then any equal or improved offer wouldnt have actually cost us a penny and may indeed have actually given us some income.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 160 - 188
mimma
July 14, 2020, 8:18pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,610
Gold Stars: 78
[quote=136845]

So Charles Vernam and Billy Clarke don't trust IH's vision or accept our paltry wage offers yet you expect us to sign Championship standard players. I have to admire your blind faith optimism Mimma..[/quote

Vernam lives in the Derby area. Clarke live near Bradford. Just maybe it's down to travelling to and fro rather than not trusting Ollie's vision.

If, as a Town fan, I can't be optimistic this coming season with Ollie in charge, then I might as well give up and go to effing Asdas on a Saturday afternoon.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 161 - 188
moosey_club
July 14, 2020, 9:56pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,339
Gold Stars: 229
Quoted from mimma
[quote=136845]

So Charles Vernam and Billy Clarke don't trust IH's vision or accept our paltry wage offers yet you expect us to sign Championship standard players. I have to admire your blind faith optimism Mimma..[/quote

Vernam lives in the Derby area. Clarke live near Bradford. Just maybe it's down to travelling to and fro rather than not trusting Ollie's vision.

If, as a Town fan, I can't be optimistic this coming season with Ollie in charge, then I might as well give up and go to effing Asdas on a Saturday afternoon.

or....... its the wages.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 162 - 188
aldi_01
July 15, 2020, 6:30am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
I think in the case of Vernam it feels harder to swallow given his up turn in form since Jolley got the boot. Up until that point he was pretty irrelevant, huff and puff and little else.

I mean it’s got all the hallmarks of the usual GTFC member up but also, a player has simply been offered what they consider a excrement wage, likely to be offered a higher wage elsewhere so has opted for that option.

I’m not sure it’s about whether or not they buy in to what Holloway is doing. In some respects, given the current situation in football, securing as much money as possible is probably a bigger motivating factor than anything else. Time will tell if Holloway is the success so many think he’ll be but players naturally come and go. Have we copulated up not trying to keep Vernam, probably, but like every summer, there’ll be players out there. It’s hardly like the urine poor contract offer for Amond etc.

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 163 - 188
Son of Cod
July 15, 2020, 9:25am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.92
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +5,351
Gold Stars: 197
Quoted from Madeleymariner
Basicly it looks like Ollie wont get chance to sign the best players around if we don't take a chance and forget the wage cut before we have a starting date/rescue package, Plenty of clubs are renewing contracts or signing new players such as  (typical example Port Fale  who dont have a pot to p in).  (So far a Grimsby fan has renewed with us.   New chairman yes,  same old shambolic penny pinching yes,  quality core squad, you've got to be kidding!

Port Vale have got new owners, haven't they?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 164 - 188
MuddyWaters
July 15, 2020, 11:45am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.59
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,291
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from mimma
[quote=136845]

Vernam lives in Lincoln. Beyond that, you can't expect anyone in the current climate to turn down a pay rise. It's disappointing that other clubs seem to already be doing business as if they know more than we do. Hopefully there will soon be some clarity about what's happening about next and we can start putting a squad together.
Private Message
Reply: 165 - 188
Madeleymariner
July 15, 2020, 12:09pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +23 / -15
Approval: +3,076
Gold Stars: 52
Quoted from Son of Cod

Port Vale have got new owners, haven't they?

Yes and they still dont have a pot to p in, They are a couple of local fans called Shanahan with an IT business, they are very well off but dont have silly money to throw at it (net worth probably much lower than Fenty) and like us they are running it without adding debt.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 166 - 188
WayneBurnettsJockstrap
July 15, 2020, 12:14pm

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.77
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: +934
Gold Stars: 123
I have an unerring thought that Ollie will find a striker who will score 20+ goals for us this season.

If Ollies reputation in the game is as good as everyone makes out, and following on from his claim when he first came to Town, that he had players contacting him saying they would play for free under him, it gives hope that, yes, we may not be able to offer the worlds best wages, but if the salary cap is put in place, then all teams in our league can only spend X amount, so you'd hope that Ollie's draw, as opposed to many unknown Managers with little experience or charisma, might bring in some semblance of quality.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 167 - 188
IlkleyMariner
July 15, 2020, 12:16pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +12 / -1
Approval: +3,035
Gold Stars: 69
Vern am has gone. It’s over. We should hope for better news ahead and stop looking backwards.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 168 - 188
Madeleymariner
July 15, 2020, 12:29pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +23 / -15
Approval: +3,076
Gold Stars: 52
At which point will we be getting excited about new signings, 22nd July or 6th October
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 169 - 188
19 Pages Prev ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Vernam

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.