Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › Coronavirus
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 5 Guests

Coronavirus

This thread currently has 386,138 views. Print
347 Pages Prev ... 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 287 ... Next All Recommend Thread
BobbyCummingsTackle
May 31, 2020, 9:27am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +7,352
Gold Stars: 309
Quoted from golfer

By who ?

I'm not going to get drawn into a party political discussion. Whilst the original post talked about the UK government we need look beyond the UK for the best responses. Italy was seen as the European epicentre in the early stages of the pandemic but it's early response and total lockdown led to fewer deaths per capita than the UK. Look also at New Zealand, Germany and Denmark for how governments have managed the crisis better than the UK. Japan's government response hasn't been good but they've still had less deaths per capita than the UK.
According to the FT only Spain and Peru have a worse death rate per capita and we are second only to the US in total deaths (their population is c 320m to the UK's c 56m).

How can that be seen as a good response?

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2760 - 3468
lew chaterleys lover
May 31, 2020, 9:27am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,814
Gold Stars: 239
Quoted from ginnywings
I fear you are right Swin and we are keeping away from it as much as possible. We only drove along the Prom on our way back home because the road up top is partly closed where the new paving is going down. We chose to go out to Horseshoe Point with the dog and waited until after 5 when we thought most people would have been and gone. There is a car park there with a big bin and it was overflowing with litter. We saw loads of empty KFC boxes and bags blowing about. You don't normally get that many people around there, which is why we like it, but it seems to be a lot more busy than it used to be.

As an aside, the last two times we have been there, we have stumbled on a dead deer, a dead seal, and yesterday, there was the remains of a dead juvenile whale on the beach. Too much death around at the moment.

So you could go at a time of your choosing but others can't?  Seems a tad unfair.
Private Message
Reply: 2761 - 3468
codcheeky
May 31, 2020, 10:50am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +1,260
Gold Stars: 31
Quoted from rancido

Nothing I have heard or read has implied that this is a different virus but the ways to tackle it differ from country to country. Our Government must be advised by the departments that deal with the health and wellbeing of our people in a situation like this. They are the experts and, along with the WHO, are best placed to advise.
In answer to a previous post of yours on this subject, there isn't a health service in any country on this planet that could 100% deal with a pandemic like this. Here in the UK,with our health care system, we are better placed than most and we have the expetience of other countries response to this virus on how best to tackle it.

As you said, we were better placed and had the experience of other countries to help us, this just completely compounds our failure both as Government and a scientific advisory body. On nearly every measure we have performed worse than any other country in Europe and for that matter the world. How anyone can think Government and it’s scientists have not failed the citizens of this country particularly those in care homes is beyond me
Private Message
Reply: 2762 - 3468
Ipswin
May 31, 2020, 10:55am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Quoted from ginnywings
I fear you are right Swin and we are keeping away from it as much as possible. We only drove along the Prom on our way back home because the road up top is partly closed where the new paving is going down. We chose to go out to Horseshoe Point with the dog and waited until after 5 when we thought most people would have been and gone. There is a car park there with a big bin and it was overflowing with litter. We saw loads of empty KFC boxes and bags blowing about. You don't normally get that many people around there, which is why we like it, but it seems to be a lot more busy than it used to be.

As an aside, the last two times we have been there, we have stumbled on a dead deer, a dead seal, and yesterday, there was the remains of a dead juvenile whale on the beach. Too much death around at the moment.

I drove Mrs Swin down to Felixstowe yesterday afternoon We are both under the 'shielding' rules for health reasons so we didn't even get out of the car, the plan was to park up, open the windows and get some fresh sea air. No chance, we would have struggled to park up and leave the car even had we wanted to as the prom car park was heaving.

Groups of older teenagers (we counted one gaggle of 10) no social distancing whatsoever, families on the beach clearly trying but kids of course all want to play together and beat excrement out of each other with their spades

The queues for ice cream and fish and chips were enormous, some folk sticking to the painted distancing on the pavement outside two of the chippies but others in the same queues simply ignoring it. Leaving the town at about 3.30 there were over 50 cars inbound at the traffic lights

Anyone would think we had all been in solitary for a years. I asked my neighbour (over the garden fence at about 5 metres distance) what he thought the attraction was about Macdonalds and the seaside Why did every fornicator just have to go. He replied 'Simply because they can' and I think he was right

God help us when the pubs open!

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 2763 - 3468
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
May 31, 2020, 11:30am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from Ipswin

Anyone would think we had all been in solitary for a years. I asked my neighbour (over the garden fence at about 5 metres distance) what he thought the attraction was about Macdonalds and the seaside Why did every fornicator just have to go. He replied 'Simply because they can' and I think he was right

God help us when the pubs open!

When a Big Mac becomes a matter of principle then you know the world is about to end.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 2764 - 3468
BobbyCummingsTackle
May 31, 2020, 12:04pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +7,352
Gold Stars: 309
Remember that getting a haircut was/is the zenith of personal freedom in the US.

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2765 - 3468
grimsby pete
May 31, 2020, 12:22pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.78
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,842
Gold Stars: 222
Quoted from LH
Good British common sense will get use through this pandemic.

The same British common sense that saw 3 or 4 people (depending on source) having to be airlifted from a packed Durdle Door beach in Dorset after jumping 200ft off a cliff. FFS.

Not like the press to increase the stupidity it was 70ft but still madness.

Over 37 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             69 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2766 - 3468
Ipswin
May 31, 2020, 1:51pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89

When a Big Mac becomes a matter of principle then you know the world is about to end.

When having to get a big Mac is more important than life or death you're right

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 2767 - 3468
ginnywings
May 31, 2020, 4:27pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.01
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,153
Gold Stars: 548

So you could go at a time of your choosing but others can't?  Seems a tad unfair.

Don't know how you extrapolated that from my post. Anyone can go at any time they like. I chose to go later on when I knew it would be less busy.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2768 - 3468
Stadium
June 1, 2020, 6:13pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.77
Rep Score: +6 / 0
Approval: +1,926
Gold Stars: 19
Need a helping hand.
Can anybody explain how today's number of deaths reported only be 111 when the new over all total is 39045 and yesterday it was 38489?

“There's nothing wrong with the car except that it's on fire.”- Murray Walker
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2769 - 3468
347 Pages Prev ... 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 287 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › Coronavirus

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.