7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
RichMariner
February 24, 2020, 1:06pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,139
Gold Stars: 209
While VAR technology continues to be used and viewed by humans, human errors will still happen.

I think VAR was designed to rid the game of ridiculously obvious mistakes. We're now trying to implement it for everything.

Goal line tech is the only tech I'd use, if it were up to me. It's a black and white issue. No room for interpretation.

VAR only provides tech to aid interpretation. At the end of the day, a human is still making a judgment call, and each human differs one to the next. So we'll never get the consistency that we crave.

I don't see how we'll ever get VAR to work in a way that suits all of us. I was watching MOTD on Saturday night and after that Burnley/Bournemouth thing I just felt angry.

No affiliation to either team, but what I saw was our beautiful game being stripped of emotion. When can we celebrate a goal? Who knows what's going on?

We're trying to make the correct call 100% of the time but it's turning the game into a farce. I for one hope Grimsby never plays at a level where VAR runs the game.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 30 - 62
GYinScuntland
February 24, 2020, 2:15pm

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.49
Rep Score: +21 / -6
Approval: +3,252
Gold Stars: 98
Quoted from golfer

What we want is a computer to decide on VAR and a human computer operator to operate the computer and then a recognised FA referee to scrutinise the computer operators decision. We could have a panel of ex pro. footballers to decide if the referees decision was the correct one while the players  have a nice cup of tea.

At least it would save hanging about for forty five seconds on every decision.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 62
Les Brechin
February 24, 2020, 2:19pm

Posts Per Day: 4.17
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,715
Gold Stars: 174
Quoted from RichMariner

We're trying to make the correct call 100% of the time but it's turning the game into a farce. I for one hope Grimsby never plays at a level where VAR ruins the game.

Amended for you Rich.  

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 62
lew chaterleys lover
February 24, 2020, 2:26pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,743
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from RichMariner
While VAR technology continues to be used and viewed by humans, human errors will still happen.

I think VAR was designed to rid the game of ridiculously obvious mistakes. We're now trying to implement it for everything.

Goal line tech is the only tech I'd use, if it were up to me. It's a black and white issue. No room for interpretation.

VAR only provides tech to aid interpretation. At the end of the day, a human is still making a judgment call, and each human differs one to the next. So we'll never get the consistency that we crave.

I don't see how we'll ever get VAR to work in a way that suits all of us. I was watching MOTD on Saturday night and after that Burnley/Bournemouth thing I just felt angry.

No affiliation to either team, but what I saw was our beautiful game being stripped of emotion. When can we celebrate a goal? Who knows what's going on?

We're trying to make the correct call 100% of the time but it's turning the game into a farce. I for one hope Grimsby never plays at a level where VAR runs the game.

It is impossible to get all decisions correct unless at some future date robots run the game.

VAR focuses on important decisions but every single decision from the kick off changes the way a game pans out. My point is that unless you get every single decision right 100% of the time then what is the point?

For example - the ref wrongly gives a free kick which results in a goal but the goal is allowed to stand by VAR. How far back in play do we go to get a "correct " decision?

The ref should give 2 yellows to a player but doesn't and that player goes on to score a winning goal. Unless VAR intervenes in everything then that is another incorrect decision which influences the result. Just where would it have end to give a "fair" result?

Even then every VAR decision is contentious.  What one video assistant sees is different to a colleague,  so we are back where we started apart from we have taken the fun out of the game, irritated fans players and officials.

The best thing to do would go back to referees decisions who sometimes make mistakes like players and managers.
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 62
mimma
February 24, 2020, 2:29pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,574
Gold Stars: 78
The only difference it makes now, is that some faceless tw@t down sarf makes the mistakes not the ref. or linesperson We can't yell at them and chant our displeasure at them like we can the ref on the pitch. Ruins the atmosphere.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 62
St. Pauli
February 24, 2020, 3:26pm

Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +223
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from RonMariner

What was wrong with Hurst 66?

Modern ball tracking technology proves that the ball did indeed cross the line.

Oh that's funny because here in Germany modern ball tracking technology proves that the ball did indeed never cross the line ...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 62
grimsby pete
February 24, 2020, 3:35pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,801
Gold Stars: 222
Quoted from St. Pauli

Oh that's funny because here in Germany modern ball tracking technology proves that the ball did indeed never cross the line ...

Well they would say that wouldn't they.  

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 62
pen penfras
February 24, 2020, 3:39pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.66
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -126
Gold Stars: 71
Quoted from St. Pauli

I've only ever seen analysis that said it didn't cross the line.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 62
grimsby pete
February 24, 2020, 3:44pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,801
Gold Stars: 222
What about the Burnley v Bournemouth game on Saturday ?

Burnley winning 1-0 and on the attack the ball is cleared and Bournemouth score to make it 1-1,

Oh no they don't,

VAR decides a Bournemouth player handled the ball as it was cleared in their penalty box,

So goal disallowed play goes back to other end of the pitch for a penalty for Burnley,

Goal !!!!!!

So 2-0 to Burnley not 1-1,

Now if that happened to Town how would you feel ?

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 62
pen penfras
February 24, 2020, 4:15pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.66
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -126
Gold Stars: 71
Quoted from grimsby pete
What about the Burnley v Bournemouth game on Saturday ?

Burnley winning 1-0 and on the attack the ball is cleared and Bournemouth score to make it 1-1,

Oh no they don't,

VAR decides a Bournemouth player handled the ball as it was cleared in their penalty box,

So goal disallowed play goes back to other end of the pitch for a penalty for Burnley,

Goal !!!!!!

So 2-0 to Burnley not 1-1,

Now if that happened to Town how would you feel ?

If it's in Town's favour, then VAR is the dog's danglies. If against Town then bin it off. The same as every other team's supporters in the country.

If it got the correct decision, then great. It's irrelevant what happened after the handball if it should have been a penalty.

Bring on more correct decisions, evolve the system and make it better. VAR hasn't been the main problem, it's the implementation that has been. Offside by mm is not objective, because the image and interpretation of where things are is not clear enough, but that's not VAR's fault, it's the fact that it's being used for every decision rather than overturning a clear and obvious error. The system needs work, and it will get better. The problem is that they won't change the rules part way through a season, so you have to wait a year to improve on problems that were clear after a couple of weeks.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 62
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › VAR Again

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.