6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Croxton
December 4, 2019, 4:05pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.74
Rep Score: +14 / -4
Approval: +3,019
Gold Stars: 33
Subbed after 83 min  and 92 min having run defences ragged and scoring. Perhaps loanees have to put kettle on for tinpot journeymen.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 56
Malta_Mariner_90
December 4, 2019, 4:38pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.21
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +796
Quoted from Northbank Mariner

I've said it before, I honestly think Vernham haa found his natural level at Chorley I'm afraid.
He s injury prone at best, suffered whilst at Derby, had his problems with us too and I think his engine us suspect at best.
Technically he's very gifted, git good feet but can't do it for prolonged periods.
Kind of reminds a bit of Dom Vose...there's a player in there but just can't quite apply himself in league football.

While most of that is down to the player I think good management comes in to play as well though. Some managers seem to be able to get the most from their attacking players others seem never quite to get the potential from them. Vernam has natural talent as you rightly point out but I think he has suffered from a manager never quite giving him a proper position while he has been here. I
still struggle to think what position is his natural position? I would not call him a natural striker nor is he really a natural wide player. Similar to Cook in that sense.

Probably if he found a side which played three forwards who were all mobile and interchanged positions frequently then maybe he would be suited to that. Give him a bit more freedom and see if a free role suits him.

I guess we could do something like this ourselves and certainly Limbrick seems to want to play 4-3-3 and stick with it so maybe there is space for him in the side.

As you originally say though plenty of players seem to be able to do it in the conference but just cannot crack league football.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 56
RichMariner
December 4, 2019, 8:52pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,136
Gold Stars: 209
Jury's out on Vernam until he's given a run of 6-7 games in the team, in the same position.

Can't judge him fairly until we've seen exactly what he can offer. Even the best players can have an off-day so we need to see him over a few games to really understand what he can bring to the team.

I feel for him. He's gone out on loan and done exactly what we'd have wanted him to do. He's scored goals. Doesn't matter how they go in.

Will he return and go straight back into our side? I think he's done enough (well, he's done more than any of our other strikers).

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 22 - 56
Rik e B
December 4, 2019, 9:15pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.59
Rep Score: +20 / -3
Approval: +3,916
The loans doing what was intended; get him (match) fit and firing and ready for first team action when called upon.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 56
fishboyUTM
December 5, 2019, 6:59am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.42
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +1,071
Gold Stars: 40
I really hope he is given a chance when he returns. I believe there is a proper player in there, much better than anything we have at the club attacking wise. Unfortunately, due to our formation, I expect he'll be wide right if he plays at all. I think he's better in a front two. It's a new start for him, and with a few games and goals under his belt at Chorley, he'll hopefully hit the ground running.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 56
jaf243
December 5, 2019, 1:31pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +73
Gold Stars: 3
We've already asked for him back. He said he's really enjoying it and might try and extend his loan however I think that was before we decided to recall. Source: his mates from school.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 56
MarinerDevil
December 5, 2019, 2:35pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: +2,782
Gold Stars: 80
I'm fairly certain that when he signed he said his preferred position is a no. 10 attacking midfielder role.  We seem to have a few of those (Vernam, Cook, Robson) but haven't played a system that utilises them.  Strange recruitment.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 56
Northbank Mariner
December 5, 2019, 3:44pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.75
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,521
Gold Stars: 172
Quoted from jaf243
We've already asked for him back. He said he's really enjoying it and might try and extend his loan however I think that was before we decided to recall. Source: his mates from school.

Ultimately it's not up to Vernham to extend, that's the clubs decision.
As for recalling, I don't believe you can recall a loan until the end of the loan periodicity except in extreme circumstances, ie you cannot field a full team due to injury or illnesses
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 56
Abdul19
December 5, 2019, 4:14pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,575
Gold Stars: 218
Emergency loans can be recalled after 28 days (which is tomorrow), although his was only a month anyway.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 56
grimsbybrown
December 5, 2019, 8:30pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +301
Gold Stars: 2
Quoted from MarinerDevil
I'm fairly certain that when he signed he said his preferred position is a no. 10 attacking midfielder role.  We seem to have a few of those (Vernam, Cook, Robson) but haven't played a system that utilises them.  Strange recruitment.

I think that's a good call.  When the squad was being assembled this summer I thought we were setting up for 4-2-3-1, in part because Jolley had abandoned 3-5-2.  This would fit the high-press, passing game that had been promised and fits the kind of players we have.

Is CV being played as an out and out striker at Chorley though?  Aside from the goals, how he has performed, timing of runs, creativity etc. would be something I imagine the coaching staff are looking over to see if they feel he can deliver that role in league 2.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 56
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Vernam recall from loan

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.