Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › New Manager
Users Browsing Forum
Googlebot and 85 Guests

New Manager

This thread currently has 90,296 views. Print
46 Pages Prev ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ... Next All Recommend Thread
RichMariner
November 25, 2019, 4:44pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,163
Gold Stars: 212

I do wonder what happens when we get to the reverse end of the positive discrimination. "He only got the job because he's BAME" is a big weight for anyone to carry.

No one should be hired because he's of BAME origin. He should be hired because he's the best candidate, always. Even a person with BAME origin would not want to be hired just because of the colour of his skin. He'd want to be hired because of his skill and talent alone.

We won't get to the 'reverse end' of the positive discrimination because, in 2019, there are still people shouting racist abuse at football grounds.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 110 - 455
forza ivano
November 25, 2019, 4:56pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,289
Gold Stars: 266
Quoted from MuddyWaters
Just looked at Skybet - Pete Wild (Halifax) is now 4-1 from 9-1.

That's coz i was feeling flush and put another 25p on him
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 111 - 455
TwoLeftFeet
November 25, 2019, 5:13pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +2,102
Gold Stars: 19
If we do go down the path of looking at managers in work how about Daryl McMahon at Macclesfield had success at Ebbsfleet and seems to be doing a decent job at Macclesfield despite there problems off the pitch.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 112 - 455
November 25, 2019, 5:23pm
Guest User
Quoted from forza ivano
That's coz i was feeling flush and put another 25p on him

I thought the odds went out when you bet on something?  

To get back to the new manager - I've been racking my brains (didn't take long) for a 'thinking outside the box' solution.

I may have come up with something.

Eniola Aluko - coming to the end of her playing career - as player/manager!

Attack-minded. Don't take sh!t. Man-management skills are guaranteed (being female). Brains (1st-class Law degree).
She's 5' 3" so the kickoff with Hanson would be another wonderful Boylen/Walker-type moment...

Would just take John Fenty to charm her away from the idea of setting up a (no doubt lucrative) law firm - which Wiki says
she plans to do - and convince her to sign on the dotted line.

We'd make the news...

Come on, John!!
Reply: 113 - 455
chaos33
November 25, 2019, 5:30pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +18,003
Gold Stars: 362
It’s ok people promoting Pete Wild and Ian Evatt, but if you look into their careers they’ve got practically no managerial experience between them, especially at EFL level. They might have worked in EFL academies or been short term caretaker but that’s about it. I can’t see much to commend them on that basis and can’t find what level of coaching qualifications they have. They seem to be favoured almost entirely on the basis that the teams they manage in the conference are currently going well, and that’s it. Is that really more of a case than the bloke who emails the telewag and says ‘Craig Disley and Ben Davies for me’. It’s not based on a balanced view of key aspects.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 114 - 455
TwoLeftFeet
November 25, 2019, 5:39pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +2,102
Gold Stars: 19
Quoted from chaos33
It’s ok people promoting Pete Wild and Ian Evatt, but if you look into their careers they’ve got practically no managerial experience between them, especially at EFL level. They might have worked in EFL academies or been short term caretaker but that’s about it. I can’t see much to commend them on that basis and can’t find what level of coaching qualifications they have. They seem to be favoured almost entirely on the basis that the teams they manage in the conference are currently going well, and that’s it. Is that really more of a case than the bloke who emails the telewag and says ‘Craig Disley and Ben Davies for me’. It’s not based on a balanced view of key aspects.

Agree with this think if we bring a manager in from elsewhere would be good if they have at least a couple of years managerial experience behind them.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 115 - 455
Teestogreen
November 25, 2019, 5:50pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: -163
Gold Stars: 23
In this case - don't agree. The experienced managers available at this level are the losers.

Blundell Park - The Home of Grimsby Town Football Club (still)  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 116 - 455
Mighty_Mariner
November 25, 2019, 5:57pm
Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +42 / -9
Approval: +2,246
Gold Stars: 10
Quoted from chrissy
Doubt he would leave their for a 6 month rolling contract.

Leave their what?!

"They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old, Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn, At the going down of the sun, and in the morning, We WILL remember them"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 117 - 455
Abdul19
November 25, 2019, 6:08pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,628
Gold Stars: 220
Quoted from chaos33
‘Craig Disley and Ben Davies for me’.  

Spot on for me m8 they know the club and that

(as does Hargreaves of course (despite leaving said club a quarter of a century ago))

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 118 - 455
mariner91
November 25, 2019, 6:16pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,785
Gold Stars: 262
Quoted from chaos33

I disagree. What manager who has done well in the EFL would want to come here? The ones who are available and within our reach are the ones who aren't very good. Wild hasn't got much managing experience so I would be wary of that one. But Evatt is in his second season and is leading the league below us with a team playing good football whilst working on a shoestring budget. He's had a good career as a player at higher levels so would presumably have some contacts in the EFL but also would know who to look for from non-league, an avenue Jolley neglected. He would be my choice but I doubt he'd come..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 119 - 455
46 Pages Prev ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › New Manager

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.