Kris2
August 2, 2019, 10:46pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.65
Rep Score: +16 / -18
Approval: +2,634
Gold Stars: 136
Quoted from 123614

I guess you forgot when he spat his dummy out after being dropped on return from injury and put in a transfer request.

Quite a bit more to that story apparently than just being upset about being dropped. I was pretty drunk off with him at the time but having heard some more things I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 39
Tommy
August 3, 2019, 7:38am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,869
Gold Stars: 76
Quoted from Kris2

Quite a bit more to that story apparently than just being upset about being dropped. I was pretty drunk off with him at the time but having heard some more things I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.

Care to elaborate Kris?

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 39
ex-merseymariner
August 3, 2019, 8:23am

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +12 / -10
Approval: +1,403
Gold Stars: 9
Quoted from Ipswin
The one I would probably compare him to is Mildenhall and I would probably put him slightly below Mildenhall in general ability.

This.

I think that putting Henderson's spell aside, it's useful to compare Mckeown to other recent keepers.  Remember Colgan?  Williams?  Only.mildenhall compares to macca

Hurst n Scott.dont get enough credit for bringing in a keeper we'd never heard of who has become an invaluable loyal servant and now captain.  

#newera;   New owners, new approach;  'we bought Grimsby Town to help renew the place we love'  
Join the Trust, get involved: UP THE MARINERS!  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 39
Stadium
August 3, 2019, 8:53am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.77
Rep Score: +6 / 0
Approval: +1,926
Gold Stars: 19
Quoted from Kris2

Haha.
The old " heard some more things" routine.
Works everytime....

“There's nothing wrong with the car except that it's on fire.”- Murray Walker
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 39
we will return
August 3, 2019, 9:10am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.23
Rep Score: +19 / -1
Approval: +35
Quoted from ex-merseymariner

This.

I think that putting Henderson's spell aside, it's useful to compare Mckeown to other recent keepers.  Remember Colgan?  Williams?  Only.mildenhall compares to macca

Hurst n Scott.dont get enough credit for bringing in a keeper we'd never heard of who has become an invaluable loyal servant and now captain.  

Agree. In the last 15 years how many keepers have we had that were better than McKeown? Henderson, who is now in the Premier league, Mildenhall at a push... no one else really comes close.
I bet that the fans of most teams in our division would be delighted if they signed him, same probably applies to a good number of teams in the division above.

UTM!
The Icenian Prediction League Winner 2013!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 39
GtfcGarner
August 3, 2019, 9:57am

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.43
Rep Score: +30 / -14
Approval: +1,798
Gold Stars: 26
Quoted from we will return

Agree. In the last 15 years how many keepers have we had that were better than McKeown? Henderson, who is now in the Premier league, Mildenhall at a push... no one else really comes close.
I bet that the fans of most teams in our division would be delighted if they signed him, same probably applies to a good number of teams in the division above.

Although not ours I believe he was on loan when we was in League 2 pre relegation
but another Henderson not Dean? Was one of the best I've seen at BP for us.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 39
ex-merseymariner
August 3, 2019, 10:14am

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +12 / -10
Approval: +1,403
Gold Stars: 9
Wayne Henderson, ex villa, was good, but retired thru injury I believe

#newera;   New owners, new approach;  'we bought Grimsby Town to help renew the place we love'  
Join the Trust, get involved: UP THE MARINERS!  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 39
August 3, 2019, 10:23am
Guest User
Nigel Batch was good. Beasant the best keeper I've seen but only played a few games. McKeown up there with the best.Kicking is not the best and holds onto ball too long but I'm very happy he's staying. Bignott wanted him out as he was a big influence, not a bad one just that he was popular with the other players.
Reply: 37 - 39
Hagrid
August 3, 2019, 10:29am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,530
Gold Stars: 544
Wayne hendersons performance notts away when we won 2-0 was superb. But best performance i can remember from a town keeper was Phil Barnes at morecambe, we won 1-0 and he was beyond words. Think the telegraph gave him a 10/10
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 39
Swansea_Mariner
August 3, 2019, 10:41am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +22 / -3
Approval: +6,482
Gold Stars: 63
Barnes was amazing that day, also that double save at Wembley was astonishing.

I'm  not sure  comparing loan keepers  really works as all keepers will make mistakes over the course of a season but during a short loan obviously those opportunities are limited (saying that even Henderson made mistakes against Stevenage).

Macca's one of my favourite players and for me appears one of the better keepers at this level.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 39
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › James McKeown

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.